PDA

View Full Version : How do you carry you Pony Bottle

catfish
09-12-2007, 19:01
How do you config. your setup to carry a pony bottle.

CompuDude
09-12-2007, 19:54
http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/stagebottle_rigging.html

Rig it like this and sling it to the left. :)

meesier42
09-12-2007, 19:57
I have had it on both sides of my tank, which is wear I prefer it. I haven't yet decided which I like better. Left seems to be a good place as it seperates it from my primary air source and I know that the left side is my safe air source. Which I know some people don't like, but its my system and I normally only dive it solo so I don't much care what other people say about my rig

texdiveguy
09-12-2007, 19:59
When sport diving I sling the pony bottle on my left side...simple-out of the way and easy.

jorbar1551
09-13-2007, 12:05
i have to buy a 13cf pony bottle in the next few days. my dive team leader builds the pony bottle holders himself which features a quick release thing. its great. we just have to supply the bracket which i'll probably buy at scuba toys.

texdiveguy
09-13-2007, 12:45
i have to buy a 13cf pony bottle in the next few days. my dive team leader builds the pony bottle holders himself which features a quick release thing. its great. we just have to supply the bracket which i'll probably buy at scuba toys.

Not knowing your diving profiles....I might suggest a min. of a 19cf for basic rec. diving.....just a thought.

NightLife
09-15-2007, 14:13
I just purchased a zeagle pony mount holder from scuba toys. IT is cheap and works great for my 13cu tank.

terrillja
09-15-2007, 15:48
I just purchased a zeagle pony mount holder from scuba toys. IT is cheap and works great for my 13cu tank.

Have the same thing for my 30cf. Holds it rock solid, haven't had any issues it it coming loose, etc. I keep it mounted on the left of my tank (my dry suit hose connector is pointed that way).

texdiveguy
09-15-2007, 16:09
Have the same thing for my 30cf. Holds it rock solid, haven't had any issues it it coming loose, etc. I keep it mounted on the left of my tank (my dry suit hose connector is pointed that way).

So am I understanding from your statement...you are using your 30cf 'pony bottle' in conjunction with filling your dry suit..?

terrillja
09-15-2007, 16:26

So am I understanding from your statement...you are using your 30cf 'pony bottle' in conjunction with filling your dry suit..?

Yes, my 30CF is used for air for my bc and drysuit, as well as my octo. That way, I can save my breathing air for breathing, not filling my suit.

texdiveguy
09-15-2007, 16:33

Yes, my 30CF is used for air for my bc and drysuit, as well as my octo. That way, I can save my breathing air for breathing, not filling my suit.

Typically a 'pony bottle' regardless of size is for use as a (contingency gas) source only....seems you might be better served to use an 'argon/air' set-up (6 or 13cf) to fill your dry suit leaving your 'pony' for its real purpose....if you are breathing air/nitrox as bottom gas this will serve the purpose of filling your dry suit right off your back gas cylinder. Just a thought.

terrillja
09-15-2007, 16:40

Typically a 'pony bottle' regardless of size is for use as a (contingency gas) source only....seems you might be better served to use an 'argon/air' set-up to fill your dry suit leaving your 'pony' for its real purpose....if you are breathing air/nitrox as bottom gas this will serve the purpose of filling your dry suit right off your back gas cylinder. Just a thought.

The problem is that argon is fatal if you breath it, as well as hard to get where I live. So, I use my pony for redundancy, as well as for buoyancy control. If I just wanted it for buoyancy control, I would have bought a 6cf. For what it's worth, I have separate hoses, maked with electrical tape that come off my breathing tank, as backups if I somehow have a free flow or whatever on my pony.

Orange and green stripes for my pony to bc
orange red for backup from main tank

yellow green for dry suit from pony
yellow red from main tank to dry suit

where I dive, entanglement isn't an issue, but with the cold water (35-45deg), having a regular freeze up is a possibility.

terrillja
09-15-2007, 16:48
Actually we have a lot of fishing lines, so you could get entangled, but that is why you have a dive buddy close by. I have trained with my dad (dive buddy) on signaling entanglement and letting the other one cut you free. But generally, I keep all my hoses close together with rubber bands, easy to break in an emergency and they keep things together otherwise.

texdiveguy
09-15-2007, 16:51

Typically a 'pony bottle' regardless of size is for use as a (contingency gas) source only....seems you might be better served to use an 'argon/air' set-up to fill your dry suit leaving your 'pony' for its real purpose....if you are breathing air/nitrox as bottom gas this will serve the purpose of filling your dry suit right off your back gas cylinder. Just a thought.

The problem is that argon is fatal if you breath it, as well as hard to get where I live. So, I use my pony for redundancy, as well as for buoyancy control. If I just wanted it for buoyancy control, I would have bought a 6cf. For what it's worth, I have separate hoses, maked with electrical tape that come off my breathing tank, as backups if I somehow have a free flow or whatever on my pony.

Orange and green stripes for my pony to bc
orange red for backup from main tank

yellow green for dry suit from pony
yellow red from main tank to dry suit

where I dive, entanglement isn't an issue, but with the cold water (35-45deg), having a regular freeze up is a possibility.

I am aware of argon not being a breathing gas....many of us that use argon systems use 'air' in them as the thermo properties are of argon is SO very small as studies show. I think you may be missing the point in terms of a pony bottle being a source of contingency breathing gas only,,,not a source of filling a dry suit also....that should only take place from your back gas (air/nitrox) or a dedicated argon/air system. You may be over complicating your kit with all the hoses and tape colors. Your most direct bet is to run your dry suit off your air back gas tank and keep that pony clean and clear for its true purpose. The only time I persl. use my argon system is when I am diving trimix as a back-bottom gas....if diving air I run my dry suit hose direct from my back gas cylinder--simple. IMO

texdiveguy
09-15-2007, 16:56
Actually we have a lot of fishing lines, so you could get entangled, but that is why you have a dive buddy close by. I have trained with my dad (dive buddy) on signaling entanglement and letting the other one cut you free. But generally, I keep all my hoses close together with rubber bands, easy to break in an emergency and they keep things together otherwise.

OK....I am happy at your diving career point you are diving with a buddy,,,,and you are aware of that dang fishing line.....seems like that stuff is always were you don't want it!! lol Keep safe and keep wet,,,,even when it cold out....nothing better than fresh cold water diving.

terrillja
09-15-2007, 16:58
I am aware of argon not being a breathing gas....many of us that use argon systems use 'air' in them as the thermo properties are of argon is SO very small as studies show. I think you may be missing the point in terms of a pony bottle being a source of contingency breathing gas only,,,not a source of filling a dry suit also....that should only take place from your back gas (air/nitrox) or a dedicated argon/air system. You may be over complicating your kit with all the hoses and tape colors. Your most direct bet is to run your dry suit off your air back gas tank and keep that pony clean and clear for its true purpose. The only time I persl. use my argon system is when I am diving trimix as a back-bottom gas....if diving air I run my dry suit hose direct from my back gas cylinder--simple. IMO

Simple, but if my reg freezes on my 80, I am SOL. With my 30, I have enough air to use in an emergency from most any depth, and when it gets below 2k, I get it topped off to 3k again. That way, I have enough air for both purposes. I had considered a 6cf for just my dry suit, but having a 30 gives me more than enough air for my suit and an emergency. I just like knowing that I have a 100% redundant system, which I can use to fill my buoyancy devices as needed, and save breathing air.

terrillja
09-15-2007, 17:00

OK....I am happy at your diving career point you are diving with a buddy,,,,and you are aware of that dang fishing line.....seems like that stuff is always were you don't want it!! lol Keep safe and keep wet,,,,even when it cold out....nothing better than fresh cold water diving.

Yeah, the mono is hard to see, but easy to cut, and the braided stainless/ leadcore is easy to see but hard to cut, and people use both for fishing for landlocked salmon. I try to pick up as much as I can when I see it, which seems to be every dive.

texdiveguy
09-15-2007, 17:07

Simple, but if my reg freezes on my 80, I am SOL. With my 30, I have enough air to use in an emergency from most any depth, and when it gets below 2k, I get it topped off to 3k again. That way, I have enough air for both purposes. I had considered a 6cf fro just my dry suit, but having a 30 gives me more than enough air for my suit and an emergency. I just like knowing that I have a 100% redundant system, which I can use to fill my buoyancy devices as needed, and save breathing air.

I understand your thought pattern....and you are giving some considerations to some issues.....there are better solutions IMO for cold water diving/redundant gas and dry suit inflation systems and freeze ups of first stages....I would recommend some further investigation and study....your on the right track but the course you are taking is a still not on the safest roadway....BEST wishes and happy diving always to you and your dad.

catfish
09-16-2007, 00:10
Does anyone have any pics of how you do this? Ive never used a pony and am trying to decide if I want to.

terrillja
09-16-2007, 03:20
Does anyone have any pics of how you do this? Ive never used a pony and am trying to decide if I want to.

Do what, sling a pony bottle, or attach it using some sort of tank attachment system?

CompuDude
09-16-2007, 13:37
terrillja, I would give some serious thought to moving your drysuit inflator back to your back gas. Suit inflation does not use up all that much gas compared to breathing, so it's a fairly negligible loss of back gas (which is also a considerably larger container, so again, not a huge percentage). OTOH, in an emergency, you want every last drop of gas in that pony to be available for breathing. Being a smaller container, you will be using a larger proportion of it to fill your suit. And the only time you end up on the pony is a worst case scenario.

Keep the pony for emergencies only.

texdiveguy
09-16-2007, 14:02
terrillja, I would give some serious thought to moving your drysuit inflator back to your back gas. Suit inflation does not use up all that much gas compared to breathing, so it's a fairly negligible loss of back gas (which is also a considerably larger container, so again, not a huge percentage). OTOH, in an emergency, you want every last drop of gas in that pony to be available for breathing. Being a smaller container, you will be using a larger proportion of it to fill your suit. And the only time you end up on the pony is a worst case scenario.

Maybe he will listen to you....I tried also. I know how it is to be young...was once young myself--lol. :-)

jo8243
09-17-2007, 16:12
I have a zeagle bridage and I use the zeagle tank straps that attach the pony to the main tank straps. This way I can change the main tank w/o moving the pony. I use a 19 cu ft AL pony.

catfish
09-17-2007, 21:08

Do what, sling a pony bottle, or attach it using some sort of tank attachment system?

Sling a pony bottle.

terrillja
09-17-2007, 21:22

Sling a pony bottle.

There are links above for diy, or you can buy a kit from ST.

quasimoto
09-18-2007, 12:36

For the Op's question..sling it and be done with it. If you need to donate the tank it seems to be easier when it is slung.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned with the 30 used for suit and bc inflation is this. A pony is suppose to be used as back up gas for when the brown stuff hits the fan. So when the brown stuff hits the fan I am going up. So the air that is in my wing and suit will be expanding. We all learned this in OW correct? So there is really no issue of needing the gas for suit inflation. Like Compudude mentioned, it is such a small amount of air that it isn't even funny. Now I guess I should also state that this is assuming that you aren't a yo yo diver and don't mess with your inflater.

ccarter
09-20-2007, 10:00
I mount mine upside down on the right when I carry it.. I can't really see a situation I would want to donate it. If someone is needing air then I'll give them my primary and switch to octo/air2 and end the dive. I'd rather be able to control the situation than have them float off out of arm's reach with a small bottle of air..

crpntr133
09-20-2007, 20:53
If you use the right bottle even if he does float off it shouldn't be an issue. Then comes the whole concept of the dive buddy system, if he goes you go.