PDA

View Full Version : diving down into the abyss

bigman241
11-07-2010, 17:26
Our weekend freed up and I booked us two dives each for Bonne Terre Mines.
Bonne Terre Mine (http://www.2dive.com/btm.htm)

We drove over friday and dove Saturday. Got in there at 7:30 am and headed down the mine about a hour later. At first it seems like an enterance to a bunker since the first part is a walk with concrete walls.

When it opens into the cavern(mine) it is a surreal feeling knowing your diving under gound. Be it hunting, diving, fishing, or even going through dry caves nothing comes close to the feeling I got from the first walk down and seeing that clear water with 120 feet of VIS yes I said 120 feet of VIS :smiley20::smiley20:

We set up our gear and I got a chance to try a larger al tank. I paid extra for the al92 they have. I guess their luxfer tanks that read al S 100 I THINK. Though the shop said they were 92s

We went in and did a weight check and went for alittle surface swim then went down. We dropped down for a dive on trail 1, as the trails are numbers and you have to do the dives in order. They get from easy to hard, going from mainly open chambers to enclosed deeper dives.

We went down on a lead cart that had some rocks and some were a solid white clearish color and then we got to play with the jack hammer in the wall. They told us everything was touchable and to enjoy our selfs. We went through few over head archs and got to see some reall sweet things.

For the most part the dive was perfect, I had good buoyancy control and did well on my air. I keep telling my self it was just a dive, I did not need to see the entire mine in a dive, and I keep telling my self not to suck on the reg like it was a bottle of vodka :smiley36:. They told us not to panic if we got low on air, that they knew how much we would need to get to wear we were going and if we got to low we would use their octo and surface. They were all wearing doubles and big tanks. Toward the end of the dive we did a air check and 4 of us were down to 800 and we went around and surfaced back by the dock.

SECOND DIVE
After storing our gear we made the walk up :smiley19: all I got to say is wear is the ELEVATOR. Going down thier is 68 steps and a short steep path. On the way up their is 100 steps and a long steep path :smiley36:.

We went back down after a surface interval, and did trail 2 and went alittle deeper into the mine

We got to meet some guys who live in the town down the road from us.

All in all a great dive once in a life time and well worth the money.

brojack17
11-07-2010, 18:37
How much is it? Their website didn't show dive costs. Looks like fun.

inventor
11-07-2010, 18:47
The guy that runs our local forum, Las Vegas Divers Forum (http://forum.lvdivers.com/index.php), went there and raved about it. Bastid also got to dive the Atlanta (?) aquarium.

gNats
11-07-2010, 18:49
The site does have dive costs. I believe it is $65 per dive.

Edited to reflect currect info posted by OP.

gNats
11-07-2010, 18:52
Awesome Bigman. How deep was trail 1 and 2? Do you do a safety stop? Hang in the water after the dive? It sounds like a lot of cardio after a dive. Something that should be avoided so as not to get bent.

Thanks for the report. We are hoping to get there this winter.

scubastud
11-07-2010, 18:53
saweeeet!

bigman241
11-07-2010, 18:58
65.00 a dive. That is a dive not day. They have a 2 dive min, they recommend a 3 dive day as it gives you the complete first set of trails to move on to the next group.

65 seems like alot, it did to me. Though you get your tank rental(10.00 easy) they have a guide in the front and read and a safety on the side. Given you get the history and go down the trail of the mine you really get the mine tour which is 25 bucks. I noticed on the tours they did get alot of history and info, but most of which it given before during and after the dive, plus you get the diving history about who has been there and how it have been profiled in magazines and on TV. Plus you get the underwater tour of such, kind of hard to see the smoke like clouds blowing by when on a dive, guess the minerals coming off the stone(not lead) I asked.

If you figure a guide on a normal day, your tanks and such there not that bad. Plus a inland dive in the dead of winter in the mid west (PRICELESS). If they were within a hour drive I would do it once a week or atleast twice a month.
There is no where I have heard of where a diver, even a green newly certified diver to do a dive as close to a cavern dive you can get to without being a cavern diver.

The staff is beyond competent and professional. They have created a professional, save, fun, and once in a life time dive. They were very friendly, open to questions and very welling to answer them. I ASKED A FEW:smiley36:

The seemed very different then most shops I have went to. They seen to care more about the diver learning, gaining a better knowledge, and understanding of diving. Like the guy said they do not care about what card a guy has or how many, just dive.

I think it is something we all should do and any one who does it will never forget.

bigman241
11-07-2010, 19:02
Both were around 40 to 45, I do not remember ever going deeper then 45, I know on the briefing for the second dive he said we would be over a deep spot but to all stay at his level so he knew how what to set for our max time. We did our safety stops, but on the first the group I went up with who was low on air just went up, I stayed and did my stop. If I ant out of air I am doing my stop.

Awesome Bigman. How deep was trail 1 and 2? Do you do a safety stop? Hang in the water after the dive? It sounds like a lot of cardio after a dive. Something that should be avoided so as not to get bent.

Thanks for the report. We are hoping to get there this winter.

bigman241
11-07-2010, 19:03
69 for a dive with ONE tank.
The site does have dive costs. I believe it is $69 for a two tank dive.

Rileybri
11-07-2010, 19:18
Hell of a first post Bigman, well done! what is there photo/video policy?

bigman241
11-08-2010, 05:03
No camera on the first trail, but after that your ok. I took my camera down on the second dive, but was having some issues with it. I had not went down with the strobe yet and did not expect it to be super buoyant so did not get any pics with it. They do have a ton on their site though

bigman241
11-08-2010, 05:05
Ohh might google There it is their not there, there as you may know is like saying go over there, and their is like what is their photo/video policy, meaning someone and not a place.
Sorry I had to buddy, LOL

TJDiver
11-08-2010, 07:32
Thanks for the report, big. My son is dying to do that dive. We're taking a family vacation to the Grand Canyon next July, and might just have to stop off there on the way out west. :smiley20:

bigman241
11-09-2010, 01:38
well worst the trip TJDiver, where are you guys at

TJDiver
11-09-2010, 07:25
We're in East TN, about half way between Knoxville and Chattanooga. Our trip out west will be an old fashiioned Griswald (love that movie :smiley36:) cross country trip in the car, so stopping at Bonne Terre on the way out would be an easy thing to do. I'm not usually one for guided dives, but would make an exception for this one...sounds like a very kewl dive. :smiley20:

scubastud
11-09-2010, 07:42
Bigdude.. ya getting sloppy with the grammar again... I don't want to be called a grammar nazi... but you are getting hard to understand .

DivingCRNA
11-09-2010, 09:51
Bigdude.. ya getting sloppy with the grammar again... I don't want to be called a grammar nazi... but you are getting hard to understand .

Be careful, someone with sensitive feelings might report you for "picking on Bigman"! LOL

I am probably going to do Bonne Terre in February. The report makes me more interested.

TJDiver
11-09-2010, 10:26
Be careful, someone with sensitive feelings might report you for "picking on Bigman"! LOL

I am probably going to do Bonne Terre in February. The report makes me more interested.

Dang, CRNA...you still looking for some cheese? :smiley36:

DivingCRNA
11-09-2010, 10:29
Dang, CRNA...you still looking for some cheese? :smiley36:

Nope, just trying to help a brutha out before someone snitches on him to da man and he gets a cap in his dome!

TJDiver
11-09-2010, 10:35
Nope, just trying to help a brutha out before someone snitches on him to da man and he gets a cap in his dome!

Yeah, yeah, yeah...just remember...most of us weren't born last night. I've got some nice smoked cheddar left in the fridge if you're interested. :smiley36:

scubastud
11-09-2010, 12:21
great .. now I'm in the mood for some smoked cheddar... on a Ritz of course.. mmmm good cracker.

gNats
11-09-2010, 13:02
great .. now I'm in the mood for some smoked cheddar... on a Ritz of course.. mmmm good cracker.

This post just proves how easy it is to deflect men off a subject with the talk of food.

bigman241
11-09-2010, 13:45
food, you saif food, what were we talking about. Ohh did I tell you I went to bonne terre over the weekend. SO what food are you talking about :smiley36:

I got some killer elk summer sausage at cabales in st louis, mmm 12 bucks for a pound and a half but dam good, makes me wonna go elk hunting.
This post just proves how easy it is to deflect men off a subject with the talk of food.

DivingCRNA
11-09-2010, 16:19
I love smoked cheddar.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

bigman241
11-10-2010, 05:11
I was wondering when you would jump in and it is about smoked cheese :smiley29:
I love smoked cheddar.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........