PDA

View Full Version : Smoking... will it increases your air consumption?

superkingkong
09-12-2007, 20:17
Lots of people are saying that smoking increases air consumption ... but there are lots of divers, DMs, instructors who are smokers, and according to them, it's fine.

what do you say? :)

cheers.

FishFood
09-12-2007, 20:45
I (assume) that would depend on how much damage has been done to your lungs. Some people smoke, then go jogging, others smoke, then go coughing :D

TommyB
09-12-2007, 20:50
I smoke, Like a train---
I get about 58/61 mins at 35fsw. and that's about enough for me on a tank
due to at 62 mins I need another cig:smilie39:

Charlotte Smith
09-12-2007, 20:52
Unfortunately I smoke and I still use less air than everyone else.....and have a smaller tank than them as well. Usually my husband starts trying to steal air from me while we are fishing so he can stay down longer. I don't recommend smoking and diving to anyone but until I kick the habit I still smoke.....but thats just me.

FishFood
09-12-2007, 20:52
I smoke, Like a train---
I get about 58/61 mins at 35fsw. and that's about enough for me on a tank

You need to figrue out how to smoke underwater....

A box attached to a reg hose (to feed with air to burn) with a one way valve that opens with you take a breath.

Or, even better yet. Create some sort of in-line device that automatically feeds smoke in with your second stage.

The patent alone could be worth many $$$ :D

creggur
09-12-2007, 20:58

:smilie39:

Osprey
09-12-2007, 22:14
Scuba Diving magazine had an article about smokers and diving in theee.. August issue I think? I don't remember.. I had to pack em all or I'd check :( I didn't even get to READ it! *weep*

Scuba-Bill
09-12-2007, 22:41
I personally don't smoke or know the affects on diving, but the link below will take you to an article on Scuba-Doc.com that might be helpful.

http://scuba-doc.com/smkndvng.htm

greyzen
09-12-2007, 23:13
Lots of people are saying that smoking increases air consumption ... but there are lots of divers, DMs, instructors who are smokers, and according to them, it's fine.

cheers.

Step-mother is a DM, and everyone she's ever dove with swears she doesn't actually breath underwater but switches to her secondary gills. She smokes over a pack a day.

There are Marine Corps. Drill Instructors that will yell for you to hurry up, WHILE smoking... so though it does damage your lungs it is not quite as debilitating (precancer/etc.) as everyone would like you to believe.

You don't function at 100%, but you still function.

gtjason2000
09-13-2007, 07:27
Smoking increases the carbon monoxide levels in your blood which blocks the transport of oxygen. I think you can get along fine with less oxygen under normal circumstances but if you are exerting yourself then it becomes apparent. If you have someone that smokes and someone who doesn't smoke run a mile the smoker will get winded more easily. Now I think if you are a runner who smokes your body adapts to that but if you smoke and don't train and have to run away from a bear good luck.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
09-13-2007, 07:44
I have seen info about this all over the INTERNET and other forums. For me the most sobering info was at DAN. There is an article there that refers to the emphysema pockets in smokers lungs that lead to an increased chance of an embolism when ascending. My OW instructor is a smoker and he swears that using Nitrox helps reduce that risk. :smiley5: Not sure I want to test the theory for myself.:smiley29: Not to sound like a reformed smoker, but, it is bad for you and thinking over the 20 something years I smoked I can't really come up with a valid reason why I "needed" or "wanted" to continue to smoke.:smiley22: I quit because I wanted to SCUBA without added risk and because I want to be able to walk my daughter down the aisle someday without having to carry and O2 tank along behind me!:smiley33::smiley1:

As for the OP ? I would think that not smoking would ultimately give you more bottom time and certainly better endurance in the long run. I would also think that off-gassing would be more efficient in a non smoker vs smoker though I don't think any real studies have been done to prove that.

deepdiver47
09-13-2007, 07:45
I do not smoke but when I dive with people that do smoke they kick my butt in BT. I dive with the Japanese alot and they like to smoke and I spoke with a Japanese diver and he told me the same thing. In his experience as well, with all things being equal (experience level, size, conditioning) people that smoke do better with air consumption. YMMV

CrzyJay456
09-13-2007, 19:36

cheers.

Step-mother is a DM, and everyone she's ever dove with swears she doesn't actually breath underwater but switches to her secondary gills. She smokes over a pack a day.

There are Marine Corps. Drill Instructors that will yell for you to hurry up, WHILE smoking... so though it does damage your lungs it is not quite as debilitating (precancer/etc.) as everyone would like you to believe.

You don't function at 100%, but you still function.

my instructor was like that minus the smoking... he went down with 3000 psi in a steel 80 (same as students, 3000 on AL80) and he comes up with 3100 50 minutes later. lol
i swear, the man does not breath, but still does. you always see the bubbles, and you know he's breathing (otherwise he'd die) and still comes up with tons of air 45-55 minutes later!! what the hell!

superkingkong
09-13-2007, 20:24
I do not smoke but when I dive with people that do smoke they kick my butt in BT. I dive with the Japanese alot and they like to smoke and I spoke with a Japanese diver and he told me the same thing. In his experience as well, with all things being equal (experience level, size, conditioning) people that smoke do better with air consumption. YMMV

this was the comment i get from those divers that smokes:smiley29:

Kidder
09-13-2007, 21:18
If it is true that smokers consume less air. Then it has to be due to dimished lung capacity. One does wonder though if your body should be consuming more? Also I've found that smokers tend to get bronchitis and have coughing fits. Has any one experienced a coughing fit under water? How did you deal with it?