PDA

View Full Version : Well, I'll be...

TJDiver
11-11-2010, 09:16
...a monkey's uncle. I should know by my age to never say never. I have always said there's no way I would ever cave dive, but yesterday eve may have started me on the path. I stopped by my LDS to let him copy some photos from last weekend's dives onto a thumb drive for me. While in his office, I saw a simply amazing, poster-sized shot from inside a cenote on his wall. It was incredible to say the least...a once dry cave, so it was filled with magnificent formations. After answering a few questions about its location, he went out into the main shop, and popped in a DVD of his last dive at that very location. I couldn't believe what came outta my mouth next..."I have GOT to dive THAT!" He started chuckling because he had heard my "never" schpiel before. I also heard his shop manager from around the corner..."I told you he would come around once he saw that video." :smiley36:

I have no desire to dive caves with no-mount restrictions and the like, but the magnificent cenotes may have just made it onto my bucket list. :smiley2:

Straegen
11-11-2010, 10:43
and so it begins your path to the dark side...

FFDiver
11-11-2010, 10:46
I have the same bug and cant wait to go down the path to the darkside....wheres Vader. lol

TJDiver
11-11-2010, 11:02
Yep, the dark side is much stronger than I thought. My path has already started, as I'm ordering a Halcyon Infinity system, and will be picking up other pieces of gear over the coming months in preparation for training some time next year. This means doubles...dry suit...canister lights...reels...blah blah blah...$$$...divorce...sure hope I get to keep my Harley. :smiley36:

cummings66
11-11-2010, 17:33
As long as you got your priorities straight you're good to go...

navyhmc
11-11-2010, 20:39
Good...his transformation is nearly complete....Lord cummings66, give him the cookies!!!!

Good luck in the classes TJ. I've only done the cavern and it was a definite eye opening class. Have fun!!!!

Flatliner
11-11-2010, 21:52
Navy and 66, Where did you guys do class and would you recommend a particular instructor?

inventor
11-11-2010, 21:59
Yeah, the cenotes are on my bucket list. Enjoy the class.

navyhmc
11-11-2010, 22:24
Navy and 66, Where did you guys do class and would you recommend a particular instructor?

I did mine with John Meuller at Oronogo. If I were to recommend an instructor for full cave, I would post on Cavediver.net John did a good job to be sure. Also in this area is Kevin Runkle who does a good job as well.

Yeah, the cenotes are on my bucket list. Enjoy the class.

mine too...would love to go dive some of them.

TJDiver
11-12-2010, 08:13
Good...his transformation is nearly complete....Lord cummings66, give him the cookies!!!!

Good luck in the classes TJ. I've only done the cavern and it was a definite eye opening class. Have fun!!!!

The cave classes will be a little while off. My first step will be drysuit so I can spend the time needed in the water between now and then...it's getting cold around here. Next will be intro to tech to become familiar with the gear configuration, as I've been purely rec up to this point. I'll also be acquiring gear and practice, practice, practice so that I'm completely comfortable in the new config before cave training. Our LDS runs a trip to Akumal about every winter (Feb.), and I'm hoping to be on the 2012 trip.