PDA

View Full Version : Yes I know I am a man.....

DLXM Cayman
09-12-2007, 20:59
but I wanted to ask your advice in terms of my wife starting her open water certification after having a baby. Our baby was born three weeks ago and although she is not up to it yet had hoped to start in November. Anyone know of any reasons why not? (no comlications, all healthy, she is 27). Any advice gratefully received.

scuba Widow
09-12-2007, 21:38
Sorry I don't have any info on the subject, just wanted congratulate you on the baby. Girl or Boy? Name?

Osprey
09-12-2007, 22:10
LOL Indeed congrats, as for your Q I personally don't think it'd be an issue by then, since she's already healthy! But I'm NOOOO expert, maybe call your doctor? He'd prolly know!

divechaplain-sara
09-13-2007, 00:30
Doesn't she have a follow up with her doc about 6 weeks post delivery? Ask the doctor then. I can't think of any reasons why it should be an issue, but I'm not a doctor.

DLXM Cayman
09-13-2007, 08:04
yes she does have a check up then and given the number of divers here, he should know! Thanks

mwhities
09-13-2007, 08:12
My wife and I had a baby boy just over 10 weeks ago. The doctor told her to not lift or do anything that would cause her to strain. Granted, she had a c-section but, her (your wife's) body is still repairing it's self and I think I'd have my wife hold off until after the 6 weeks check up.

Just my opinion, take it as you will. I'd rather error on the side of safety.

Michael

Foo2
09-13-2007, 09:32
As far as I know, there shouldn't be any problems with doing her OW that far in advance. If I'm doing my math right, your baby should be about 10 weeks on Nov.1. If she had a normal, vaginal delivery she shouldn't have any problems. If she had a C-Section, I would excersize caution. She may need to don her gear in the water. And most deffinately talk to her doctor at her check-up. Regardless of the type of delivery that she had, she will need to take it easy and do her best to not over do herself. She has to realize that her body just went through one of the most traumatizing things it ever will. It takes at least 3 months for you to start to feel normal again. I'm sure she is feeling better now, but she just lost about 20lbs over night. That would make anybody feel better. ;) Just because she may have more energy now, doesn't mean that she is back to her old self. Please trust me on that...I have delivered 3 babies. *Foo2 is stepping down from the soap box now* Either way, congrats on your new baby! You are going to have so much fun!

dallasdivergirl
09-13-2007, 09:43
Congrats on the sweet little one.

I have seen my sisters go through several births and each one is different. Just make sure she doesn't push herself too hard.

scuba Widow
09-13-2007, 11:11
My wife and I had a baby boy just over 10 weeks ago. The doctor told her to not lift or do anything that would cause her to strain. Granted, she had a c-section but, her (your wife's) body is still repairing it's self and I think I'd have my wife hold off until after the 6 weeks check up.

Just my opinion, take it as you will. I'd rather error on the side of safety.

Michael

Congrats! on the little one!!!

ScubaJenn81
09-13-2007, 12:01
I wouldn't even think about doing anything that involves heavy lifting until she gets the OK from her doctor at her 6 week checkup.

mdwestgrl
09-16-2007, 17:25
Definately check with the dr at the 6 week checkup but I would think it would be fine by then, everyone is different though.
Congrats on the new baby!!

ixrayu
09-16-2007, 20:09
Just remember even if she is ready physically, she may not be mentally. My babies took more out of me mentally than physically. Of course, I'm the nut that has her children naturally and then is screaming to leave the hospital the next day.
Congrats on your bundle of joy!

Suther2136
09-16-2007, 21:37
Reaching way back, my youngest is 16; I would say when the doc says its OK to take a bath and she feels up to it. If I recall the bath thing means that infection risk is gone. But ultimately, I agree with Sara, ask the doc, many aspects to consider. Water, plus tank weight are two biggies (lots of abdominal muscles to use that we take for granted.

scuba Widow
09-30-2007, 21:16
How is the new baby?

scubajane
10-01-2007, 17:49
congrats on new baby!! I dove with a lady that had a 6 month old baby and she nursed her between dives, she had about 15 years of diving experience though. each body is unique and each pregnancy and recovery is also unique. safety is the main issue. keep mom and baby safe. ask lost of questions at 6 week check up.make a list and be sure the MD answers them all to your satisfaction. another place to check would to call DAN divers insurance they have doctors that answer all kinds of medical questions. and JOIN DAN TODAY!! their phone number is 1-800-446-2671 . the best thing a man can do for his child is to love the child's mother. happy diving :smiley32: