PDA

View Full Version : C-Card

TheBlue1
09-12-2007, 23:14
Anybody have a good comparison for different open water certifications? I'm looking at PADI and it seems to be the best, but i'd like some input!
Thanks

FishFood
09-12-2007, 23:20
I guess the real question would be, what do they offer in your area?

My LDS only offers NAUI, but I took private lessons through a PADI instructor. The ONLY reason I went with PADI was because it was either train all summer, or learn to dive in one weekend and dive the rest of the summer.

If I were you I would NOT go with PADI unless on a time constraint. If you have time to go through a longer course like NAUI or SSI, do it.

And for the difference...

If I had taken NAUI It would have been 2 classes a week for 6 weeks. Mulitple class room visits, and mulitple pool dives.

With my PADI, I went to the instructors house, went over some stuff, took the test. Then did two spring dives and two OW dives.

See the difference?

Scuba-Bill
09-12-2007, 23:37
I put more emphasis on the instructor than the certification agency. The instructor must know his stuff, be able to get the message across, and keep you engaged. Given that the basic principles are the same, it is up to you to build upon the foundation laid by the standards of the agency and the instructor.

Find a good instructor and enjoy the journey!

Good luck,

Capt Hook
09-13-2007, 09:32
Why do you think PADI is the best? Easiest, fastest, yes, but best?

fire diver
09-13-2007, 09:41
ASk around of other divers in your area. What instructor do THEY think is the best? The agency really have nothing to do with it but issue a plastic card. The instructor is whats important.

BTW- I say to ask other divers, becuase I have found that non-divers don't have experience to tell who good dive instructors are. Nice doesn't always mean good, and "grumpy" doesn't always mean bad.

FD

mwhities
09-13-2007, 09:43
I put more emphasis on the instructor than the certification agency. The instructor must know his stuff, be able to get the message across, and keep you engaged. Given that the basic principles are the same, it is up to you to build upon the foundation laid by the standards of the agency and the instructor.

Find a good instructor and enjoy the journey!

Good luck,

I agree, go with the instructor that's there to instruct. Not make a quick few hundred dollars.

As for the length of instruction? If you can't get certified before you leave to Cozumel, well, it's your own fault. Maybe you should've planned the training before the trip. ;)

Michael

JCAT
09-13-2007, 09:49
Please no! Enough with the agency bashing posts! It is non-relevant.

Scuba-Bill has stated the crux of the matter very well.

fire diver
09-13-2007, 10:01
I didn't see anyone bashing any agencies. I saw a couple questions, but it hasn't got ugly. Remember, this isn't "SB". :)

FD

JCAT
09-13-2007, 11:48
Sorry, perhaps I was a little too quick.

I do agree 1000% that its the instructor, not who he's aligned with.

And agree with what you said as well FD.

BTW- I say to ask other divers, because I have found that non-divers don't have experience to tell who good dive instructors are. Nice doesn't always mean good, and "grumpy" doesn't always mean bad.

My first instructor was a mean SOB and I disliked him from the start, BUT he taught OW in a way that has stayed with me.

wxboy911
09-13-2007, 12:57
I got certified through the YMCA-My instructor was excellent and came recommended. I went based on the instructor more than the agency because I heard there are not huge differences in the OW course. It worked out great.

ScubaToys Larry
09-13-2007, 13:11
I have taught for 4 different agencies, and I find more important than the acronym on the card is the name on the mask strap. Make sure it says "ScubaToys". :smiley2:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/masks/pics/maskstrap.jpg

TheBlue1
09-13-2007, 23:23
The absolute cheapest I can find in the area is $520 [PADI]... I'm half tempted to fly to Texas to go to ST and actually save some money.. If I could do everything I need in a weekend, I'd do that!

somewhereinla
09-14-2007, 00:58
Padi is probably the easiest and quickest cert. to get. $520 for OW that quite expensive, I am sure you can get a better price.

TheBlue1
09-14-2007, 01:12
I've actually tried to get a better price... There are only Dive Shops within 40 miles of where I am at... And yeah, I'd like to get it done quick - Then I'll spend plenty of time locally making good on my skills for extra...

TheBlue1
09-14-2007, 13:27
err, there are only 2 dive shops within 40 miles rather

wdstauter
09-19-2007, 10:13
You said after a test you did 2 spring dives and 2 OW for PADI. For my PADI certification it was 2 pool dives on separate days, and 4 OW dives over 2 days. While not much, it sounds a little involved than what your instructor had you do. I think it goes down to how the instructor enforces the standards for the course.

plot
09-19-2007, 18:04
Be carefull from who you take recommendations for in terms of who is a good instructor.

If a person has only had one instructor and liked the class, then of course their instructor was AWESOME! ...when in reality it was a crap class, he left alot out, etc etc...

Find a divemaster or something at a shop to get valid recommendations on who is a good instructor and which ones to avoid and for what reasons.

ScubaToys Larry
09-19-2007, 18:58
The other thing to remember, is you do not have to go through a dive shop. There are probably many independent instructors in your area. Perhaps fill out your profile... right now it's US... I'm in the US. I could teach you!!

Who knows... maybe there is an instructor on this board, or some other diver from your area that can recommend someone!

Just a thought!

crpntr133
09-19-2007, 23:34
Instructor can make a world of difference. As far as agency I started out with PADI because that was what the local shop had. After my AOW class I found an independant NAUI instructor and wished that I would have switched to NAUI for AOW, they teach more. I'm not saying that PADI is bad but the phone number is 1-800-pay-padi.

shadragon
09-28-2007, 13:25
Does not matter what the brand name on the c-card is as long as you get quality instruction from a knowledgable and safe instructor. It also depends on what you have in your local area, but noobies seldom know what they want so they cannot choose the best path.

liuk3
10-09-2007, 18:30
The absolute cheapest I can find in the area is $520 [PADI]... I'm half tempted to fly to Texas to go to ST and actually save some money.. If I could do everything I need in a weekend, I'd do that!

I'm not sure trying to get everything done as quickly as possible is the best way to go about it...

nubie1541
11-17-2007, 19:25
I have padi OW and nitrox.

do i have to stay with padi for other courses?

awb
11-17-2007, 20:19
I have padi OW and nitrox.

do i have to stay with padi for other courses?

Not at all, you can go with any of them. They all recognize PADI, NAUI, SSI,YMCA, etc. It's up to you.:smiley20: