PDA

View Full Version : need work related advice

scubagirlj
11-14-2010, 08:03
oh, am i in an awkward position(settle down, boys)-current employer has me on unpaid LOA until probably 1/1-found out my main client isn't wintering in SOFL as planned-cannot reach current employer(thanx caller id)to find out if i am even still an employee given that change-in the meantime, ex employer(who gave me 15 mins notice of termination after 5+ yrs of unblemished work/driving/drug testing)has been sending feelers out regarding my current employment status(ex supervisor called me this AM & point blank asked me what i was going to do-there are no secrets in our business)-ex employer wants me back for "the season", but they treated me very poorly the last 6 months i worked for them, trying to get me to quit-would get a better truck & probably make more money from ex employer but would be "on call" 24/7(not able to slip away & dive)and be subjected to very close supervision-current employer more flexible & i would make my own schedule but trucks not as nice and pay scale reflects this-hummmm-suggestions?:smiley5:

snagel
11-14-2010, 08:13
What exactly do you do? It's kinda confusing following your question. I've always said going to a job you hate is not worth any amount of money. Although, going to a job and not getting paid properly sure does have an affect on your attitude.

Sounds like your current employer does not have work for you but your ex-employer does. In these times, I would get work where I can.

Snagel

chilly willy
11-14-2010, 08:20
If you were on the other coast I might be able to help, we are in need of a good driver. Although we don't carry the same freight as you are used to. :-)

Vercingetorix
11-14-2010, 08:34
That is a tough call: the ol' cash in hand versus two birds in the bush.

Were it I, I would take-up the ex-employer's offer, while knowing that it is short-term. Once you establish contact with the current employer to determine status, you can then make a better decision about your future.

Good luck

scubagirlj
11-14-2010, 08:36
If you were on the other coast I might be able to help, we are in need of a good driver. Although we don't carry the same freight as you are used to. :-)
thanx chilly- bet your freight doesn't move around like mine does(LOL)
snagel- i ship racehorses & i LOVE the work

its just if i go back i know the company owner will never let me forget that she can hire/fire me at will

Vercingetorix
11-14-2010, 08:38
if i go back i know the company owner will never let me forget that she can hire/fire me at will

You can also hire/fire your boss as well. As I mentioned above, just carry that attitude that this is a short-term partnership of convenience. When you're done with her (i.e., found another job or returned to current employer), be gone.

chilly willy
11-14-2010, 08:48
I agree with Rick, go to where the money is until you get where you want to be with your current employer.

scubagirlj
11-14-2010, 08:51
yeah, its just hard to cave-i should be able to do 5 months standing on my head- i guess working my a** off & taking a lot of her money would be the best revenge

chilly willy
11-14-2010, 08:57
Just remember you hold a CDL and are in demand just about anywhere you go, especially with a spotless record and new regulations that are terminating a large number of drivers.

scubagirlj
11-14-2010, 09:36
Just remember you hold a CDL and are in demand just about anywhere you go, especially with a spotless record and new regulations that are terminating a large number of drivers.
and can piss clean on demand-am on the waiting list for fed ex regional but that may be a while

scubadiver888
11-14-2010, 09:39
oh, am i in an awkward position(settle down, boys)-current employer has me on unpaid LOA until probably 1/1-found out my main client isn't wintering in SOFL as planned-cannot reach current employer(thanx caller id)to find out if i am even still an employee given that change-in the meantime, ex employer(who gave me 15 mins notice of termination after 5+ yrs of unblemished work/driving/drug testing)has been sending feelers out regarding my current employment status(ex supervisor called me this AM & point blank asked me what i was going to do-there are no secrets in our business)-ex employer wants me back for "the season", but they treated me very poorly the last 6 months i worked for them, trying to get me to quit-would get a better truck & probably make more money from ex employer but would be "on call" 24/7(not able to slip away & dive)and be subjected to very close supervision-current employer more flexible & i would make my own schedule but trucks not as nice and pay scale reflects this-hummmm-suggestions?:smiley5:

It sounds like the current employer sounds like the best employer. I'd try to confirm that I don't have a job before moving on. As an employer it drives me insane when an employee quits because they made assumptions. Know for a fact that the current employer has no work for you.

I have found that employers like the ex-employer will always believe you and those like you are a dime a dozen. The only way to win with someone like that is to not play the game in the first place. If more people do that they MIGHT realize you are valuable. Personally, the on-call 24/7 really doesn't work for me. I work so that I can have a life; I don't want work to be my life.

If you find the current employer doesn't need you anymore, I'd take the work from the ex-employer and look for work elsewhere. If I find something, give the ex-employer 15 minute notice. Just make sure they don't put something in your contract requiring you to give a certain period of notice.

reefrunner
11-14-2010, 10:16
I used to have my own big truck and leased to a few companies.Bite the bullett and do wat ya gotta do to survive and things will work out down the line hun.Hey!!! good luck on the Fed X deal.I used to haul from Ft Worth Tx to Orlando Fl all the time .It was great.Oh well put your tank on and mask while drivn down the road it might help.Loll

TwistedSister209
11-14-2010, 10:32
SGJ--
I have to agree with scubadiver888--find out if you're still employed--go from there. Taking her money is great revenge. If her terms don't work for you, you don't work for her.
Just my 2 cents worth.

PACKRMAN
11-14-2010, 10:33
Go to work and smile every week when she hands you a check. When she pisses you off tell her to piss off. Remember work is a four letter word, if you like it its a bonus.

FFDiver
11-14-2010, 11:57
It is hard at times to decide. You could always just do it temp with no strings that way if current employeer comes through then walk away into the sunset knowing you have some of her money. Hopefuuly you could get on at fedx. One on my good friend is a contract hauler out of charotte. Good luck in your decision!!!!

scubatrucker
11-14-2010, 16:17
Have you mentioned to current employer that ex-employer wants you back? Sounds like you might have something to negotiate with. But if that doesn't work, it still sounds like the ex employer is where the money is. Remember the current didn't give you any notice they weren't going to SOFL so what else are they hiding. How much work is left? This is why I hated seasonal work. My last driving job was moving bulk cement in pnuematic tanks to make natural gas well sites in East Texas and Northwest Louisiana. The work was weather affected. More rain=less work.
I know it sucks to swallow your pride and cave in to ex employer but if they need you maybe they can work with you and make some divetime, especially since you don't know how long the Fed Ex waiting list is and you still need to pay bills and eat. Also try to get your hazmat if you don't have it already. There is always a need for local gasoline haulers.

Largo
11-14-2010, 16:43
Maybe the best thing to do is take a moment and ask yourself; What would BJ McKay do?

PACKRMAN
11-14-2010, 17:58
I like Bears.....and waffles.

Sorry, not drive related

navyhmc
11-14-2010, 19:43
Maybe the best thing to do is take a moment and ask yourself; What would BJ McKay do?

or C.W. McCall...

cgvmer
11-15-2010, 06:17
I have to concur with take the job but keep an eye out for better situations later.

FFDiver
11-15-2010, 10:21
or C.W. McCall...

Lets just set up a convoy!!!

scubagirlj
11-15-2010, 10:42
is a moot point now, as she told me she only wants me as an oncall back up driver-that means pay by the trip& no guaranteed amount of work=no thanx

bigman241
11-15-2010, 15:54
Agreed, you could take the money and keep looking for a new and better job, I had a boss who liked the I can fire you at any minute, when she ordered me to do something when I was off the clock then ***tched me out for not putting down my dinner and doing it on my own dime, I quit went home took off the uniform took it back and left. The next day the owner called offered me my job back the weekend of and 1.00 a hour raise, with two conditions I would never work under the woman again and would not be asked to do something off the clock, since it would be a liability to the company. The ***hole was fired two weeks later for stealing.

WIth the economy the way it is we have to take what we get. I was offered a good job not to long ago, but would have had to move and with my rent going from 0 to 500 a month I would not have made any more money.

You can also hire/fire your boss as well. As I mentioned above, just carry that attitude that this is a short-term partnership of convenience. When you're done with her (i.e., found another job or returned to current employer), be gone.