PDA

View Full Version : help identifing crab

chinacat46
11-14-2010, 12:52
Here are two crabs from my recent Philippines trip. One is a boxer crab(Lybia tessellata). The other seems to be similar and I thought it might be a Pompom crab(Lybia edmondsoni) but it definitely isn't that. Both crabs have eggs!!!

Anyone know what the first one is?

jet126
11-15-2010, 08:16
Sorry Chuck - I don't have the Pacific creature book. Definitely NOT from around here! I'll forward to my contacts up north. Maybe one of them might know.

chinacat46
12-04-2010, 14:31
Still haven't identified this boxer crab. I looked in the new "Reef Creature Identification - Tropical Pacific" and they have one that looks very similar except the color of the eggs. The only problem is they have it listed as Lybia sp.(Undescribed). I'm pretty sure the one they have is the same one. They have it listed as known from Indonesia and I took my pic in the Philippines so now it's known in two places.

BTW the book is a must for anyone who dives the tropical pacific and wants to ID things other then fish. Got mine here:

Amazon.com: Reef Creature Identification Tropical Pacific (9781878348449): Paul Humann, Ned DeLoach: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Reef-Creature-Identification-Tropical-Pacific/dp/1878348442/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291495165&sr=8-2)

jet126
12-04-2010, 23:12
And I didn't hear anything from my peeps at the aquarium up north. Which means a) they're too busy to answer or b) they don't have a clue. I'm guessing b.

DevilDiver
12-05-2010, 09:27
Had to do some digging, pretty sure this is it, very closly related....

Lybia common names include boxer crabs, boxing crabs and pom-pom crabs) is a genus of small crabs, including Lybia tesselata and Lybia edmondsoni.

Pom Pom Boxer Crab (Lybia tessellata)

Small crab, unique coour pattern with distinct polygonal areas in white, beige, orange, separated by dark brown lines. Tufts of hair. Eye with dark lines on a white background. Thin claws, each bearing a small anemone. Carapace lenght 1.5 cm. Associated with anemones Triactis, that it carries around holding with the claws ad using them for defens, waving in front of the possible aggressor.

Let me know if you believe this is not correct.... Great photos!

chinacat46
12-05-2010, 09:47
DD the picture of the second boxer crab is a Lybia tessellata. Already knew that. It's the first one I'm trying to identify. It appears to be the same as the one in the new book I mentioned but they have it as Lybia sp. (undescribed). So they don't seem to know exactly what it is either.

DevilDiver
12-05-2010, 10:21
What do you think?

Lybia caestifera
http://www.cosmos.ne.jp/~breach/Fish%20collection.jpeg/shrimp27-2.jpeg
Check out this thread over on Wetpixel, it seems that this could be it........

Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums > pom pom crab? (http://wetpixel.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t34414.html)

chinacat46
12-05-2010, 10:35
That could definitely be the same one. The only problem I have with the ID is the book shows the Lybia caestifera right next to the one I think it is the Lybia sp. and the two are different. Both Pom Pom and Boxer are common names for all the Lybia ...

The book calls the Lybia tessellata a mosaic boxer crab and the Lybia caestifera a decorator boxer crab.

Oh well its one of the two either the caestifera or the undescribed one. Thanks DD.

DevilDiver
12-05-2010, 11:39
I don't have the new Trop Pacific book yet so I can't look at what you are seeing. If you find something different please post....