PDA

View Full Version : Westboro Baptist Church

Vercingetorix
11-15-2010, 09:38
This may belong in the Hot Topcs sub-forum. I dunno. You tell me.

Just read an article in which the members of the WBC were doing one of their protests. Not only were they drowned out by 1000 counter-protestors, but their minivan's tires were slashed. They couldn't find anybody locally to fix their tires.

The WBC angers me. I am a vet. I come from a military family (4 of 5 of the immediate family served; the fifth tried, but unable to do so). I am Christian, but not a right-wing fundy. The WBC drives people away from religion, any religion. Folks look at them and think, "well, if that's the way religious people think, I don't want to be part of that".

Their protests are an insult to those who served and died. Their protests hurt the parents and loved ones grieving and in pain for their recent loss.

I understand First Amendment "Freedom of Speech" rights. Those rights were placed to preserve political discourse. However, a funeral is neither the time nor the place to exercise those rights. This is not the place to display his signs that say "Thank God for Dead Soldiers".

There are qualities called decency, understanding, caring, sympathy, and empathy. These need to be exercised in a world where "it's a free country, and I can say what I want" takes precedence or being a human being.

I am tempted. When one of Fred Phelps' children dies (other than his sons who already despise him), I am tempted to go to Witchita,KS and stand outside the funeral with a sign,
"Thank God for Dead Phelps Children".

I just don't have it in me to be that cruel.

russp
11-15-2010, 09:42
It's always amazed me how much evil is and has been done in the name of religion.

Rileybri
11-15-2010, 09:44
this s a great link to a story about a counter protest set up by a high school to drown out the WBC and how successful it was. Woodbridge Counter-Protest Dwarfs Westboro Baptist Church - Woodbridge, VA Patch (http://woodbridge-va.patch.com/articles/woodbridge-counter-protest-dwarfs-westboro-baptist-church)
The larger, usually much larger counter protest is a growing trend and one that seams to be working. Strength in number!

brojack17
11-15-2010, 10:14
They came to our town during the funeral of one of our local kids who died in Afghanistan. It was our town where the slashed tires happened and we also had a bunch of bikers "blocking their view" of the procession.

I believe in freedom of speech, but there is a level of decency that is expected in society. These people make me mad.

TJDiver
11-15-2010, 10:21
They came to our town during the funeral of one of our local kids who died in Afghanistan. It was our town where the slashed tires happened and we also had a bunch of bikers "blocking their view" of the procession.

I believe in freedom of speech, but there is a level of decency that is expected in society. These people make me mad.

They make me sick! :smiley11:

navyhmc
11-15-2010, 11:56
If the entire wikipedia article is factual, that is one totally messed up group! Fred Phelps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Phelps) I do like the fact that the UK has a lifetime ban on the entire group from entering Britain!

Personally, I find myself hoping that they lose big at the SCOTUS and their reign of terror at funerals will be over. Regrettably, I also realize that if they do lose, they will only come up with another plan to feed their need for media attention.

My only question is where do they get the money to do all this????

Vercingetorix
11-15-2010, 12:07
My only question is where do they get the money to do all this????

Civil suits against those that assault them or attempt to quash them. Of the 100 members , over 80 are family members. The daughters are lawyers, so filing suits is a freebie. One daughter just argued a case before SCOTUS a few weeks ago in WBC's defense.

Rileybri
11-15-2010, 12:29
alright and they say tort reform is WAY over rated! I wonder what SCOTUS had to pass on so they could waist our tax payer $$ to hear that case? WBC was supposed to come to VT this summer to protest. When they saw/heard what we had ready for them they decided against it! Protesting from a flooded pig farm pasture surrounded 20:1 by counter protesters did not sound like a winning proposition in their book i guess.

brojack17
11-17-2010, 14:29
Looks like they are coming back to our town on Thursday. I'll be out there to block their view.

Funeral Protesters Now Targeting Oklahoma Children's Funerals - KTUL.com - Tulsa, Oklahoma - Coverage You Can Count On (http://www.ktul.com/Global/story.asp?S=13520403)

brojack17
11-17-2010, 15:38
We are organizing a counter protest. Here is the Facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=155313391180708 (http://www.facebook.com/#%21/event.php?eid=155313391180708)

Here is their press release. Not for the faint of heart.
Login | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30142423&id=1078250438)

fab50diver
11-17-2010, 15:42
They didn't have the nerve to show up in our town;-)

Noob
11-17-2010, 15:52
The saddest part of this is they are using the church as a front for their suits.

I wonder if the family of the fallen soldier could sue them for distress and other mental situations from them picketing.

I am also one that believes in the 1st amendment. I see this as one of those things that goes with yelling fire in a room full of people.

Straegen
11-17-2010, 15:56
Pretty disgusting but interesting to parallel this thread with the politically correct one we recently had. One mans disgusting can be another ones lack of political correctness.

Vercingetorix
11-17-2010, 16:50
I wonder if the family of the fallen soldier could sue them for distress and other mental situations from them picketing.

Tried and failed to sue the WBC for this reason. Court said it was protected speech. I view it as hate speech, which not protected.

mm2002
11-17-2010, 18:47
Tried and failed to sue the WBC for this reason. Court said it was protected speech. I view it as hate speech, which not protected.

Right there is the problem, and it exists in many forms. Hate can be expressed as long as it's religious based, because that makes it ok? I don't know if I said that right, but that's the way it seems to me. In my opinion, that way of thinking takes away from what the true believers believe in in the first place. Again, probably mis-worded, but that's the best I can do.

brojack17
11-17-2010, 19:56
Looks like they aren't coming now. They contacted the PD and told them they were not coming. Their MO is to get a permit and ask for police protection. We're not buying it and still going. If they don't show up, we can still show love to a family in pain in our community.

Davetowz
11-17-2010, 20:51
I am dissapointed that this group chooses to display their beliefs in this manner, however I must say that I appreciate the fact that they can. I have been in the Armed forces for 24 years now and I was educated early on by an old crusty Navy chief when I bitched about a protest back in the Desert Storm days that I should appreciate the protesters, because I did what I did to give them the right to bitch about what I did. Took many years to really understand that. But I will follow up with the statement that I will gladly show up to a funeral for a fellow Soldier, Sailor, or Airman that these F&*&$rs want to protest at and stand in uniform and block thier a$$e% from being there.I also have dedicated my life to my expression of free speech, even if it has to be forced.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that those who have not, will never know.(unknown)

navyhmc
11-18-2010, 04:04

Currently pending Supremem Court decision. From what was reported in the news about the verbal arguements, His daughter Shirley Phelps-Roper did not make a good strong case in front of the justices. I'm hoping strongly that their case will be thrown out and peace and civility can return to the families of those that they would greedily harrass.

Totally agree though that this is indeed a version of Hate Speech. The apparently hate anything that does not agree fully and exclusively with their views and opinions.

scubastud
11-18-2010, 04:14
I am all for allowing any group to assemble, protest, make speeches.
To do so at or near a funeral service is another story.
The KKK had a rally here in Phoenix a few days ago, some went there and caused trouble, there was violence and people got hurt.
The best thing to do is ignore these morans, this includes the media. The KKK won because they got press.

You cannot just not go to the service, let these horrid people have their little protest, but no where near where a grieving loved one can hear or see these "people" .

navyhmc
11-18-2010, 05:35
I can't help but wonder if WBC doesn't meet the definition of a cult?

Vercingetorix
11-18-2010, 06:52
I can't help but wonder if WBC doesn't meet the definition of a cult?

As I mention above, 80 of its 100 members are related: they're family. They are no more a church than the Scientologists (another discussion for another time).

TJDiver
11-18-2010, 06:57
As I mention above, 80 of its 100 members are related: they're family. They are no more a church than the Scientologists (another discussion for another time).

Yeah, next to these bozos, Tom Cruise even comes off as sane and semi-intelligent. :smilie39:

Foo2
11-18-2010, 09:37
These people make me sad. =( I hate that they classify themselves as Christians. It gives us all a bad name. I pray that their eyes will be opened to their wrong doings to these families and that they will beg for mercy and forgiveness. It's so sad that people have to spread so much hate.

navyhmc
11-18-2010, 14:02
I hate to say it, but I can see Fred at the Pearly gates and God coming up to him and saying "Uh Fred, we need to talk...."

Vercingetorix
11-18-2010, 15:01
I hate to say it, but I can see Fred at the Pearly gates and God coming up to him and saying "Uh Fred, we need to talk...."

More like, "Ya know me, Fred. All loving. All merciful. All forgiving. Right? Every now and then, I make an exception. Well..."

brojack17
11-18-2010, 16:07
Well, they didn't show up but about 50 people from our community did. The funeral director was great and told us where to stand. The family was scared of this group showing up. We were there and followed to the cemetery. The last thing this family needed during this time was more drama. I'm glad they didn't show up.

inventor
11-18-2010, 17:37

Scientology, 'cause darn it, there just aren't enough comets.

Vercingetorix
11-18-2010, 18:15
Well, they didn't show up but about 50 people from our community did. The funeral director was great and told us where to stand. The family was scared of this group showing up. We were there and followed to the cemetery. The last thing this family needed during this time was more drama. I'm glad they didn't show up.

Maybe those attention whores are getting the message: God Hates You

A few more slashed tires might help as well.

navyhmc
11-18-2010, 19:53
Maybe those attention whores are getting the message: God Hates You

A few more slashed tires might help as well.

Just don't get caught. I have a feeling that they would try to sue that person for all the tires they've ever had slashed (becasue you know is wa that person that stalked them and did every incidnet...don't try to tell them any different-they know it, and nothing can be shown that will make them think otherwise-god hates us and their suing that person is because the US tolerates gays) Not to mention several tens of thousands for pain and suffering. They took the teachings of L.Ron Hubbard to heart (sue early, sue often, and negotiate an out of court settlement for just a little more than you can afford.)

captain
11-25-2010, 19:26
I am a member of the Patriot Guard Riders which was formed in response to the Westboro idiots.
Make people aware that if a veteran passes away they can request the Patriot Guard Riders to provide security and a flag line.

http://www.patriotguard.org/
(http://www.patriotguard.org/)

Vercingetorix
11-25-2010, 19:50
I am a member of the Patriot Guard Riders which was formed in response to the Westboro idiots.
Make people aware that if a veteran passes away they can request the Patriot Guard Riders to provide security and a flag line.

Home (http://www.patriotguard.org/)

Thank you for being there.

inventor
11-27-2010, 02:24

Home (http://www.patriotguard.org/)

Right on and ride on!

inventor
12-12-2010, 18:41
Westboro Baptist Church says it will picket Elizabeth Edwards' funeral - CNN (http://articles.cnn.com/2010-12-09/us/kansas.edwards.picket_1_westboro-members-westboro-baptist-church-albert-snyder?_s=PM:US)

Idiots on parade.

Lulubelle
12-12-2010, 19:24
Westboro Baptist Church says it will picket Elizabeth Edwards' funeral - CNN (http://articles.cnn.com/2010-12-09/us/kansas.edwards.picket_1_westboro-members-westboro-baptist-church-albert-snyder?_s=PM:US)

Idiots on parade.

In my hometown no less. There were 300 people standing on the streetside to negate their impact. Apparently, her sin was that she supported gay marriage and that she admitted to doubting her faith when her son died. Personally, we all think she was a freaking saint for the way she handled her egomaniac husband.

navyhmc
12-12-2010, 19:39

Idiots on parade.

Do you always insult idiots like that inventor? It's not nice to the idiots.

I can't help but wonder if they sit around the table at dinner and ask; "So, where can we get the most attention tomorrow? Where can we go and hopefully sue someone for something - even if it's not true?" I can't help but wonder if L.Ron Hubbard is actually their true god? They certainly use his tactics....

Vercingetorix
01-11-2011, 07:42
The WBC asshats will picket the funerals of the victims of the Tucson shooting, including the 9 year-old girl. This girl was born on Sept 11, 2001

The WBC has no decency, no compassion. There are times when "Freedom of Speech" must be set aside for "Being Human". Who makes that judgement? Society at large. I don't care that their picketing is "legal". Just because it's legal doesn't make it right.

Funeral pickets to be met by 'angels' - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/01/11/arizona.funeral.westboro/?hpt=C2)

chinacat46
01-11-2011, 09:01
Maybe they should rename it the Westboro Baptist Asshats.

alpha
01-11-2011, 10:48
"So, where can we get the most attention tomorrow?

---Probably...

There are times when "Freedom of Speech" must be set aside for "Being Human". Who makes that judgement? Society at large.

---IMO the will of society at large seldom gets expressed or protected when opposed to a minorities view. The minorities views/wills on most issues have been in the past & are now the protected agenda in our "society at large".

---I would love to see a simple majority vote of the people dictate policy in the U.S....Town vote...51% against = you better run fast, the will of the people be at your a*s........ Get the posse, let's ride..................................... Whooo horse...they corrupted my posse...How to Get a Posse | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_2246951_get-posse.html)

---Just hold your thumb up for the ACLU, etc.............NOT..............

Expected results....none... except money being passed between "social villains/criminals to 51% of population" & lawyers/politicians/elected officials playing with the intricate web of judicial/legislative/executive confusion.

Past-present-& future:minorities views/wills on most issues are the protected agenda in our "society at large".

bigman241
01-11-2011, 11:25
there is no right to do what they do, they should have been locked up at funeral 1

Vercingetorix
01-11-2011, 11:27
Alpha,

So true. We have to balance the will of the majority versus the rights of the minority. For instance, it was the will of the majority that implemented and enforced the Jim Crow laws that suppressed and oppressed the Blacks (or Negroes, as we referred to them back in the '60s). The tyranny of the majority was wrong.

How to balance this, so that jerks like the WBC can be silenced while the rights of a minority can be honored. I don't have an answer. To paraphrase the Supreme Court on obscenity: I can't define indecent behavior (as exhibited by the WBC), but I know it when I see it.

there is no right to do what they do, they should have been locked up at funeral

Ahhh...but they do have the right. It is an inappropriate time when they choose to exercise that right.

SEMO Scuba
01-11-2011, 21:07
If the 9 year old girl's father beat the crap out of one of the WBC asshats wouldn't they deserve it.

Suther2136
01-11-2011, 21:16
It's always amazed me how much evil is and has been done in the name of religion.

Just remember that "religion" is man made! The Bible is God's book and many religions claim it for themselves and pervert it to serve man's religion. That's why I belong to a non-denominational bible believing church, if it's not in the bible we don't go there. This saves a lot of trouble and justification of man made rules and legalism.

navyhmc
01-11-2011, 22:05
If the 9 year old girl's father beat the crap out of one of the WBC asshats wouldn't they deserve it.
Deserve it? I don't know. Though to the famly, friends and mourners, I would say the WBC signs are a justifiable request to have the crap beat out of them.

Vercingetorix
01-12-2011, 15:08
It's a long read, but very informative
Addicted to Hate - the Fred Phelps Story (http://blank.org/addict/)

inventor
01-13-2011, 22:36
Funeral protest: Arizona rallies to foil Westboro Baptist Church - CSMonitor.com (http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/0111/Funeral-protest-Arizona-rallies-to-foil-Westboro-Baptist-Church)

I figured it out..If God hates America, it's because we let whacktards like this profane his teachings.

Why do I figure these idiots are going to be a vicious parable in the next part of the bible?

Hey, SS, scream a couple 'detrimental observations about your probable familial lineage and interactions' quotes at them for me.

Davetowz
01-13-2011, 23:09
ok, last post re: these o2 thieves. They are not worth wasting bandwidth discussing. Done.

John Yaskowich
02-08-2013, 12:53
I know - resurrecting an old and heated thread but I thought people might like to know that at least some of the members of that church / cult have had a change of heart. Granddaughters of the founder. There is hope.
Phelps sisters quit Westboro Baptist Church - World - Canoe.ca (http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2013/02/08/20563726.html)

navyhmc
02-08-2013, 13:13
Well, that explains all the winter weather in the east....

bennerman
04-15-2013, 23:06
Westboro Baptist is planning on picketting the funerals of today's bombings. I recommend everyone sign and share this petition. I'm told if it gets enough responses, it has to atleast be addressed by the whitehouse, but I'm not sure how credible the site is. Regardless:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/ban-westboro-baptist-church-entering-boston-and-picketing-funerals-those-who-died-during-bombing/KbLlysdG