PDA

View Full Version : new padi dm cert. requirements

rpm20
11-17-2010, 12:06
i am planning on taking my dm when i am ready but i understand that the dm requirements are being changed in 2011.
can anyone elaborate on what these changes are ?
e mail me at ron.paulick@hydrite.com in subject line put dm cert.
thanks ron

brojack17
11-17-2010, 12:10
I don't know what the changes are, but I was told they are reworking the books next summer. I'm starting in January, so I will be good.

Vercingetorix
11-17-2010, 13:13
e mail me at ron.paulick@hydrite.com in subject line put dm cert.
thanks ron

Only a suggestion, remove you email address from your post. This will help prevent spamming. Folks on this board can private message(PM) you. You will receive email notification when you receive a PM.

You can edit your post with the "Edit Post" link at the bottom of your post.

scubadiver888
11-17-2010, 13:48
i am planning on taking my dm when i am ready but i understand that the dm requirements are being changed in 2011.
can anyone elaborate on what these changes are ?
thanks ron

Hi Ron,

Saw your message in the intro forum as well. You got me beat by a couple of years and I cannot retire until 65. I got my OW, AOW, Rescue and just last month got my DM. I have the 2010 Q4 bulletin and it highlights the changes to the DM program:

You need 40 dives rather than 20 dives to enter the program.
More in water and workshop time with instructor.
Practical experience in all programs DMs are authorized to conduct.
Revised dive theory knowledge requirements.
Still require 60 dives to finish.
Deep Diver plus Search and Recovery Specialty are recommended.
If you already have Deep Diver and/or Search and Recovery Specialty they can be applied to your DM Practical Application Skills.
Instructor-conducted presentation: The Roles and Characteristics of a PADI Dive Master.
More practical skills:

Dive Site Set up and Management
Dive Briefing
Search and Recovery Scenario
Deep Dive Scenario

In a nutshell, you need 40 instead of 20 dives to start. You'll be focusing more on the practical skills and less on the theory. Previously, a lot of prep work for becoming an instructor was part of the DM training. Not anymore.

DivingCRNA
11-17-2010, 19:38
Only a suggestion, remove you email address from your post. This will help prevent spamming. Folks on this board can private message(PM) you. You will receive email notification when you receive a PM.

You can edit your post with the "Edit Post" link at the bottom of your post.

He cannot remove it now that you quoted the message with the address in it.... LOL!

Davetowz
11-17-2010, 20:15
Sounds like good solid improvements to me.

scubadiver888
11-17-2010, 20:15
He cannot remove it now that you quoted the message with the address in it.... LOL!

That is why I removed the line with his address in it. :)

Straegen
11-18-2010, 05:43
Wow I cannot imagine being shuffled around a reef as a newb by a "Dive Master" with only 40 or so total dives. Glad they raised it to 40 to start and probably needs to go even higher or change the name.

scubadiver888
11-18-2010, 12:28
Straegen,

I highly doubt anyone who gets there DM with less than 100 dives get to lead anyone around a reef. In my area at least, a newly minted DM would help an instructor. Even if you are a great diver, you might not be a great leader or mentor. The instructor is there to help you become a better DM. When you seem to be doing well on your own, then a shop might let you do a Discover Scuba or be a guide on your own.