PDA

View Full Version : Can I shallow Dive morning before I fly?

Gonnagettanked
11-18-2010, 06:59
I'm still a noobie so here's a question I probably should already know..
I'm wondering if I can do a morning shore dive where the depth is 15 to 20 feet. and then fly later that day. The flight will be about 6 hours later
Is this sufficient time, am I cutting it too close? Another thing I'm wondering amd maybe some of you can tell me is does the depth play a bigger part in the waiting time or the actual down time?

Thanks, Elle

navyhmc
11-18-2010, 07:12
While you probably "COULD" do a short, shallow dive, I would strongly advise against it. The risk of a DCS hit is not worth the dive in my opinion. It would totally suck to take a hit while on your flight home: redirecting the flight-pissing off the rest of the passengers who will probably miss their connections, getting taken off the plane by a local EMS crew, taken to a hospital that you know nothing about in a city that is completely foreign to you, and may be in a foriegn country as well (not knowing where you're diving), finding lodging for whowever flew with you that wants to stay and be there for you, getting a ride(S) in "The Can"-decompression chamber, literally tens of thousands of dollars of medical expenses-most of which will not be covered by you insurance, family and friends reminding you of the incident for decades to come and the nondiving ones trying to get you to stop diving, etc. There's a reason that PADI and the other training organizations recommend 12 hours for single dives and 18-24 for mutliple dives before flying.

It's not the depth itself that you worry about, it's the depth and time. Tissue saturation is a huge and complex issue. you're dealing with fast tissues such as the blood and muscles as well as slow tissue such as bone marrow and nerves-all tissues absorb nitrogen at a different rate.

I would suggest that if you feel the need to get wet one more time before you leave whatever paradise you're in, go out and just snorkel the shallows and stay on the surface-no dips to the bottom.

scubastud
11-18-2010, 07:21
Where will you be?

I may be banned forever for saying this, but there is more to life than SCUBA.

Most people reserve the last day of dive vacation for land based shopping, sightseeing and all that.

I'm with Navy.. why risk it?

scubastud
11-18-2010, 07:22
heh... "land based shopping"

As opposed to underwater shopping.

Gonnagettanked
11-18-2010, 07:23
Got it! but I really was wondering if it was a combo of the time and the depth.
Thanks Nave

scubastud
11-18-2010, 07:29
Yes . it is time and depth.

Gonnagettanked
11-18-2010, 07:30
Where will you be?

I may be banned forever for saying this, but there is more to life than SCUBA.

Most people reserve the last day of dive vacation for land based shopping, sightseeing and all that.

I'm with Navy.. why risk it?

Stud, I love ya dude, but if I'm in Florida on a beach shopping is the last thing on my mind...
But alas I certainly don't want to push my luck. So I guess snorkeling or grabbing a good book will be on my agenda!
Unless you need me to pick you up a tee shirt or shot glass?

jet126
11-18-2010, 07:41
This Fishing Hall of Fame is a fun option for gas-off. It's in Dania Beach, right next door to Outdoor World. You can spend a good part of a day between the museum, Outdoor World (a destination in itself) and mecca: Diver's Direct. All on the same campus! Exit 23 (Griffin Road) at I-95, just south of FLL airport.

gNats
11-18-2010, 07:42
If you are only going 6 feet, enjoy the water with a snorkel you can snorkel your heart out

navyhmc
11-18-2010, 07:45
Stud, I love ya dude, but if I'm in Florida on a beach shopping is the last thing on my mind...
But alas I certainly don't want to push my luck. So I guess snorkeling or grabbing a good book will be on my agenda!
Unless you need me to pick you up a tee shirt or shot glass?

Wow, it looks like you like Stud better then me...he get offered a shot glass or t-shirt... :smiley19:

In all honesty though, have a good time, enjoy the dives, but come home safe when you're done.

You know? SGJ is down that way, meet up and do an early lunch!

Gonnagettanked
11-18-2010, 08:07
I'm sorry Nave did'nt mean to leave you out of the whole souviner department.
Never figured you for a backscratcher or dishtowel kinda guy either! (espescially by your avitar) But just let me know...

TJDiver
11-18-2010, 08:36
Another perspective I haven't seen mentioned here, is if you flew somewhere I have to assume you have been there diving several days. Tissue saturation from repetitive diving all week is major, so it's not just the 15 - 20 ft. dive on that last day that's gonna get you when you jump on the plane.

Gonnagettanked
11-18-2010, 08:44
TJ, I'm actually going to be coming off a cruise and the last 2 days onboard will have been days at sea. But I do realize the risk and it's not worth the hour or two of fun. I'll get 3 days in the Southern Caribbean and 1 in Ft Lauderdale so no tears here:)

Zeagle Eagle
11-18-2010, 09:33
I personally don't dive 24 hours before flying (minimum). If the airplane should suffer pressurization problems you may suffer DCS.

Here is what DAN has to say about it.
DAN Divers Alert Network : Flying After Diving -- Cracking the DCS Code (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=20)

Gonnagettanked
11-18-2010, 09:38
Well I feel good about my decision We'll dive around 2 and fly the following day at 5. I'm comfortable with that.

Straegen
11-18-2010, 10:33
I would add sitting back and relaxing the last day as a great option. If I REALLY need to be in the water I either snorkel, go fishing or both.

Bigg_Budd
11-18-2010, 15:30
if you can't dive - drink.

Gonnagettanked
11-19-2010, 07:31
:ferie: I'll work on my tan! Nothing like pissing off the the haters you work with.

navyhmc
11-19-2010, 08:08
NOW yer thinkin' !!!! :smiley36: :smiley20: :smilie39:

scubastud
11-19-2010, 08:24
I thought you were "gonnagetanked"..?

Gonnagettanked
11-19-2010, 08:50
Gotta give you a point for that one Stud:smiley32: I wasn't certified when I came up with my name...still working on my card. I Thought it was so clever.
But the joke is really on me cause I don't drink anymore:smiley36:

Vercingetorix
11-19-2010, 08:56
Gotta give you a point for that one Stud:smiley32: I wasn't certified when I came up with my name...still working on my card. I Thought it was so clever.

You can change your name, if you choose. Just PM TommyB with your new name.

Gonnagettanked
11-19-2010, 09:06
Why would I change my name? It's fabulous!

scubagirlj
11-19-2010, 12:24
well then you don't want to meet up with me for lunch i guess:smiley36:-PM me when you are in town-always looking for an excuse to go to ft laud-know some great places to eat between port everglades & FLL:smiley20:

Gonnagettanked
11-19-2010, 13:14
All my buds still drink and party enough for me.. I went from being the designated drunk to the designated driver! Thats why I'm living it up now, diving, traveling, doing all the things I missed out on for so long. I'll gladly meet up with when I'm in your area. As long as you don't mind dealing with a couple of newbies. (my husband and myself). We're hoping to do a shore dive at Lauderdale by the Sea!:smiley20:

navychop
06-04-2011, 12:03
agree with NavyHMC, anything over 20 feet is bad juju before flying. Stay another day. Then fly back.