PDA

View Full Version : Best Lake in MO

Noob
11-18-2010, 13:34
Out of all the lakes in MO, which one is the best for diving? I've dove T-rock before but never Bull or Norfork. Whats your choice?

navyhmc
11-18-2010, 13:39
In the pure Mo lakes, I would pick TRL. Very little of Bull Shoals is in Mo and I've not dove that part.

bottomdweller
11-18-2010, 13:56
I would say Table Rock would be the best for diving.
There is quite a bit to see & has good vis for the most part.
As navy said most of Bull Shoals is actually in Arkansas, I have dived it a few times but never seen much.
I have a buddy whos parents live on Bull shoals (Missouri side) & he swears the vis is very good most times, but the few times I dived it with him the vis sucked. As for norfork that lake is in Arkansas not Missouri.

Noob
11-18-2010, 14:41
Ok, Ok, The white river chain lakes. :smiley36:

We can include northern AR in this too.

Also what about Beaver lake?

gNats
11-18-2010, 19:27
Beaver has some toys to see. A sailboat at 70 some feet. I prefer Table Rock I think of the two lakes. Table Rock at 100 feet is incredible! Vis as far as the light can see (and better have a good one cuz there is no LIGHT from the surface)

snagel
11-19-2010, 04:59
I've dove Table Rock, Bull Shoals, and Norfork. Haven't made it to Beaver yet (that doesn't sound right, but we're not going there)

My vote is for Norfork. Table Rock is the closest for me, but the dang viz is so hit and miss and the boat traffic is terrible. Bull Shoals is nice because it does not have near as much boat traffic as Table Rock, but boring. Norfork has limited boat traffic, a ton of sites to see, and viz is typically pretty awesome especially in the spring. The problem with Norfork is it is difficult to get too (hence, why not so many boats).

Snagel

bottomdweller
11-19-2010, 08:21
I do think Beaver is great lake for diving also, as gNats said quite a few things to see there.
If you have access to a boat there are a lot of good sites with stuff to see.
There are nice wall dives, a helicopter, a couple of airplanes, moped, waverunner, school bus, & a number of boats.
If you can find out what the vis is like before you head down to dive you can't miss with either Table Rock or Beaver.
I have never dived Norfork yet, need to get down there soon.
It's supposed to be around 64 degrees tomorrow, I think I am going to hit Table Rock.

navyhmc
11-19-2010, 08:48
I'll add Oronogo to the mix as well. A lot of students go there so the shallows get mucked up a bit, but it's still a fairly nice place to get a few dives, especially if you're looking to get into deper dives.

gNats
11-19-2010, 09:04
I don't count Oronogo as a LAKE. first, it's privately owned.

Of course I am still trying to wrap my head around the idea that lakes down here are man made and not made by mother nature and the ice age.

navyhmc
11-19-2010, 10:02

Of course I am still trying to wrap my head around the idea that lakes down here are man made and not made by mother nature and the ice age.

Well, yeah, but it's still divable water... :smiley36: :smiley20:

wheelman
11-19-2010, 13:05
Well, yeah, but it's still divable water... :smiley36: :smiley20:

I still don't think I would lump it in with any of the white river lakes. ;-) That is a bit of a stretch.

navyhmc
11-19-2010, 13:34
Well, when you put it that way, no. But it's still not too bad to dive. I'll be there on the 27th..

Noob
11-19-2010, 13:43
My plan is to spear down in AR this year a couple times also. Hopefully in one of those 3 lakes. Probably bullshoals. Reason for asking about T rock I think that one is the closest too me at about 4 hrs drive. I do have a boat. Its a bass boat but it can get me there fast. LOL

Like said above T rock does have alot of traffic. I'd prefer less traffic.

DivingCRNA
11-19-2010, 14:33
I like Beaver lake. However, TRL has the White River bridge, Oasis, the Zebulon Pike, an RV and Dewey Short. Parking at The beaver North Dam sight SUCKS and Lost Bridge is shallow and lame.

wheelman
11-19-2010, 15:01
Parking at The beaver North Dam sight SUCKS and Lost Bridge is shallow and lame.

Agreed on both counts. The diving improves if you have a boat, or better yet a dive buddy with a boat.

mstueven
11-20-2010, 04:50
I'll go with Tablerock, and Beaver as a second. Tablerock has some nice dives and i think the viz is generally better, but Beaver has a good scuba park. Oronogo is great for training and tec if you want to include it. Haven't dove the others. Really all of them can be a little hit and miss though.

Noob, I think the best lake is probably whichever one we are diving next!

snagel
11-20-2010, 06:18
I like Beaver lake. However, TRL has the White River bridge, Oasis, the Zebulon Pike, an RV and Dewey Short. Parking at The beaver North Dam sight SUCKS and Lost Bridge is shallow and lame.

I'm familiar with each dive on TR listed, but the RV. Where is that at?

bottomdweller
11-20-2010, 07:48
I'm familiar with each dive on TR listed, but the RV. Where is that at?

I am curious too? Heading down this morning to dive the cabin crusier at Jakes Point island.

DivingCRNA
11-20-2010, 08:57
The RV is just a rumor I heard.

I want to do Oasis some time. That, and some other sites are why I do tec diving.

navyhmc
11-20-2010, 12:00
We tried to get an Oasis dive last year, but couldn't due to no boat. Maybe next year?

snagel
11-21-2010, 08:58
I was wondering whatever happened with the Oasis dive? Please post if there are future plans. Not sure if it is something I want to dive or not, but would love to be part of the trip. 130+ depth in total darkness in unfamilair places is really something I've told myself I am not going to do. We do have a pontoon boat set up for diving docked at Indian Point and can probably help out (although it was acting up the last time we had it out...better see what that is all about first)

Back to the topic.....those of you that haven't dove Norfork, your missing out. It sucks getting there, but worth it. Jordan's Marina is awesome and the lake is pretty much free from a lot of boat traffic. We dove it in August with pretty much 1' viz under 30', but had a great time above the T-cline....20-30' viz. Denise at Jordan's Marina told us that the spring is the best time to dive the lake because it has awesome viz all the way to the bottom. We are planning a trip this spring.

Snagel

bottomdweller
11-21-2010, 09:19
The wife & I dived Jake's point and swam over to the island to check out the cabin cruiser on Saturday 11/20/10. Surface temps are 64 degrees and it was 57 degrees at 77 ft.
Vis was 10-20 ft depending on where we were at, nice & clear under 50 ft.

plot
11-25-2010, 20:41

technically, lake of the ozarks is privately owned (owned by a st. louis power company for generating hydro power), and it's also man made. do you consider it a lake? ;)

as for best white river lakes, beaver is the first lake in the chain and generally has the best vis in my opinion. it has a ton of awesome dive sites, but most require a boat and someone "in the know" to get too.

gNats
11-26-2010, 13:56
I didn't realize you had to sign a waiver and pay a fee to dive Lake of the Ozarks.

plot
11-27-2010, 18:23
I didn't realize you had to sign a waiver and pay a fee to dive Lake of the Ozarks.

i guess technically they could make you. they know nobody wants to dive there anyways though so they aren't to worried about it.

Noob
11-28-2010, 10:05
I couldnt imagine that one. That is a nasty lake.