PDA

View Full Version : Need some help identifing a ParrotFish

Liver10
11-19-2010, 20:54

Attached is a picture of a parrotfish. I thought it was steephead Parrotfish but have been told this is not correct. Can anyone tell me what type it is?

DevilDiver
11-19-2010, 23:05
Queen Parrotfish (Scarus vetula)
The mouth markings and tail are the best markers for this fish. Looks somewhere between an intermediate and into terminal phase. Could be at the ending process of transformation from female to male.

chinacat46
11-20-2010, 05:29
I'm not sure it's a queen where did you see this parrotfish? If I were to guess I would have said Steephead.

DevilDiver
11-20-2010, 07:17
Good call..........

I am pretty sure that I posted incorrect and would have to go with Steephead Parrotfish as well.

Steephead Parrotfish (Chlorurus microrhinos) as it matures develops a rather steep sloping forehead different from that of other Parrotfish. Generally blue to green bodied with a small pink line evident on each scale. The head and breast may also appear to be purple/pinkish colour and a irregular blue bar can be found extending from the mouth to pectoral fin in mature adults along with a yellow spot at the base of the pectoral fin.

Liver10
11-20-2010, 17:05
I was told it is not a steephead parrot fish (Chlorurus microrhinos) so can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Gavin

chinacat46
11-20-2010, 17:41
Well I will ask once again where(what part of the world) did you see this parrotfish? Also how big was it?

Still think it's a steephead.

Liver10
11-20-2010, 20:39
Well I will ask once again where(what part of the world) did you see this parrotfish? Also how big was it?

Still think it's a steephead.

I am in New Caledonia in the South Pacfic. I too thought it was a steephead but the person running the contest for a discount dive day told me it was not a steephead.

Cheers

DevilDiver
11-20-2010, 22:27
What did they believe it was?

I am sticking with Steephead as well.

Liver10
11-20-2010, 23:11
I will not know until Thursday. I will post once they annouce it.

Thanks everyone

chinacat46
11-21-2010, 07:53
Yes, please let us know what it is. I saw someone on Scubaboard also believes it's a steephead. I'd be very interested to learn what it is.

Liver10
11-25-2010, 12:54
And the answer is a

blue bump parrotfish Scarus microrhinos

chinacat46
11-25-2010, 21:29
Well you've been duped.

A Scarus microhinos is a steephead.

Fishwise - Scarus microrhinos - Bleeker 1854 (http://www.fishwise.co.za/Default.aspx?TabID=110&SpecieConfigId=237134&GenusSpecies=Scarus_microrhinos)

DevilDiver
11-25-2010, 22:00
Steephead Parrotfish (Chlorurus microrhinos) as it matures develops a rather steep sloping forehead different from that of other Parrotfish. Generally blue to green bodied with a small pink line evident on each scale. The head and breast may also appear to be purple/pinkish color and a irregular blue bar can be found extending from the mouth to pectoral fin in mature adults along with a yellow spot at the base of the pectoral fin.

You should revisit your local dive shop and give them a chance to realize their mistake. If I can admit to a mistake earlier in the post I would hope that they could as well.

chinacat46
11-26-2010, 12:45
I agree with DevilDiver they owe you. Scarus microrhinos is the same as Chlorurus microrhinos which is a steephead. Calling it a blue bump parrotfish doesn't change the fact that it is also known as a steephead.