PDA

View Full Version : How religious are you keeping your dive log?

bversteegh
09-13-2007, 00:42
I keep a directory on my laptop for each dive, with dive site name, location, date, and all my pictures from the dive. I shoot a picture of the dive briefing if the divemaster drew one. I also download the logfile from my computer. But I haven't kept a handwritten logbook for years. What does everyone else do?

picxie
09-13-2007, 04:00
I still keep my handwritten logbook. I usually take it with me on the boat and fill it in during surface intervals. I've got an SSI logbook with the little tabs and I have to get the next lot of tabs - 51 to 100 - before I go on my next trip. I imagine those tabs will last me a while and then after that I might resort to something else (the book will be full!).

rubberduck
09-13-2007, 06:11
I keep a hand written log but I have gotten lazy with the info. Most of my dives are from shore at low depts so i have not been filling in the charts.

Basically keep track of locations and any thing of interest I saw.

Phestr
09-13-2007, 07:06
I'm pretty good about the written log, but since I dive with a computer, I don't do the RDP values any more. I downloaded and printed the pages I use, and there's no place for the PG anyway. I've gotten alot better about it since I decided I want to be a Master SCUBA Diver (don't laugh, it's a goal), and I have to show 50 logged dives.

Subaqua
09-13-2007, 07:08
I also keep a handwritten log. Write the basic info, place, date, stuff to see, etc. Maybe one day, I'll change for an electronic version, but for now it's just fine for me.

CrzyJay456
09-13-2007, 07:11
just log it regularly, and since most dives are 15-45 feet, i seldom ever fill the chart at the bottom...

Spinner
09-13-2007, 07:25
I have a paper log which is updated after each dive day (often between dives). I have had people make fun of me because of that.

I use to keep a copy of my log on DiveRecord.com but when I changed computers the mass upload spreadsheet didn't work anymore and I was unable to find a way to contact them so now it is just paper only.

Zenagirl
09-13-2007, 07:45
Since we travel to dive, I really enjoy filling out our log book at the end of a wonderful day of diving. It helps me keep the dives straight in my head and I like to jot down what we saw (briefly), especially if it's a "first"....like the hammerhead at the last dive site on our last day of our last trip. ;)

mwhities
09-13-2007, 08:17
I have about 3 or 4 dives that I have no info for. I thought, "I can remember that.".... oops. I know have a computer and I've recorded my last 7 dives on it. So, I'll have that and when I get home, I'll record it in my log book too.

Michael

medicdiver
09-13-2007, 08:21
I have the bad habit of just logging the dive info and not the personal details about the dive. I current have about 8 dives this way and I don't remember what I did on those dives. I need to get better about it since I am trying to head towards the tech side.

Capt Hook
09-13-2007, 08:22
Written log book, log every dive.

fire diver
09-13-2007, 08:29
My "written" log is now a printout from my computer download. I carry blank sheets of paper with my logbook. During SI's I write down the basics of depth, duration and air usage in case something happen to my computer. I also write down details I might forget like seeing turtles, rays, octos, and the location and diveop of that dive. When I download my info I go in and add all the details.

So my printed logs have all the info of my old hand-written ones, plus more.

FD

Charles R
09-13-2007, 08:41
I keep my written log book with me and fill it out at the end of the day or during the SI if there is something important that I dont want to forget. Then when I get home I use a program I downloaded called red seal Shadow log book its simple but keeps all my info handy on my laptop for me to use. Most of the time I use it to plan my next dive.

Scuba-Bill
09-13-2007, 08:55
I logged my first 45 dives in a book that was lost... :(

My last 15 or so dives are on slips of paper awaiting a new log book. I just haven't gotten around to it.

I will get a new log book on my next trip to ST. Hopefully on the 17th, if the repair part for my BC has come in...

Vercingetorix
09-13-2007, 09:49
How religiously? I pray over every log entry. Burn a candle too if it was a really bad dive or a good dive.

Meanwhile, I use the software that came with my dive computer (I download from the compuer) and add additional info. I also maintain my paper log book. Given that I am a very new diver, I have info like which wetsuit I was wearing, kind of tank (steel, AL, neut AL), and weigting required. Also maintain lessons learned if I had an oooopsie that I survived.

chinacat46
09-13-2007, 10:28
I log every dive but usually only do it once a day or so. If I'm on a liveaboard that can be 5 dives in one day.

As an instructor once told me if you don't log it, then it don't count.

Tableleg
09-13-2007, 10:47
How religiously? I pray over every log entry. Burn a candle too if it was a really bad dive or a good dive. You forgot about the incense. One can't forget the incense. :smiley36:

I also would like to eventually work my way up to the Master Diver (still currently working on Rescue Diver) so my dive count matters.

I don't put too much weight on my RDP since I got my computer. I just write down the info (Max depth, time, temp, etc.) into my log. But every dive gets an entry.

hoop
09-13-2007, 11:49
I'm pretty damn lazy by nature, so basically I just scroll through my computer after a day of diving and record where the dive was, bottom time, and depth. Every now and again I'll jot down something that I saw of interest....

WV Diver
09-13-2007, 11:54
I log it all and find it fun to read back on. I make my own log books so they are very personalized to my diving needs.

CompuDude
09-13-2007, 13:31
I log it all, but my AI computer does the hard part. During my SI I beam my computer logs into my Palm Treo for the basic info, and then add info such as site, conditions, weight and gear used, and a description of anything memorable during the dive (life seen, cool things found, disasters averted, etc.).

My Treo backs up to my home computer when I get home, and the logs I entered are automatically pulled into the PC logging software. My PC is backed up in a couple of different ways as well.

I lost my first (written) log book with all of the details from my early dive career. I was able to recreate the majority of the dive info by going over my buddy's log books... but.... never again.

coralcrazed
09-13-2007, 14:41
I keep a directory on my laptop for each dive, with dive site name, location, date, and all my pictures from the dive. I shoot a picture of the dive briefing if the divemaster drew one. I also download the logfile from my computer. But I haven't kept a handwritten logbook for years. What does everyone else do?
very ver religious. but now I'm getting a dive watch which will do it for me. I think I will still be manually loging though not every time.

CompuDude
09-13-2007, 15:33
Just curious: Those of you who log your dives only with your computer: How do you track WHERE you dove, with only date, time and depth info? Can you really memorize a long list of dive locations over time and recall them significantly later, or do you just not care where you dove, only THAT you dove?

Or is it just because you only dive one location repeatedly so it's not that tough?

DevilDiver
09-13-2007, 15:42
I keep the written log for all dives while traveling. If I return to that location I know where I have been and witch were my favorites. I also have picked up the habbit of doodling little pictures of things I saw in my logs.
I haven't kept logs of my lake dives since 2003........... I look at these as personal practice now more than anything.

Harshal
09-13-2007, 15:43
I don't analyze every minute of my dive or download data from my Dive computer...... common I dive to enjoy...........
But I do like to write a log and normally include what I saw and things.

finflippers
09-13-2007, 15:57
I log every dive for the date,place,depth,bottom time,visibility,and total botom time to date. Most of my logs have at least something in the notes section about the dive but I have been lazy on occasion and not entered anything in there.

BuzzGA
09-13-2007, 23:13
I still keep a written record. It' s actually a good way to pass the time during the surface interval and when I flip back through the book it brings up some good memories

Foo2
09-14-2007, 00:37
I'm still a diving newbie...so I still religiously fill out my dive log....all 10 of them ;)

ChrisA
09-14-2007, 00:52

Most all of my dives are at sites I've done many times. I don't need to write much about a place I see every few weeks. Periodically I'll update my hand written paper logbook from data on the computer and some notes about who was there.

I'm thinking about moving to a computer based system because a lot of what I'd like to know are things like "How often is the viz better then 15 feet at (say) the "120 reef". With 50 or 100 dives there I have decent statistics.

I have four books filed out and I'm weeks and weeks behind in.

scubafreak
09-14-2007, 00:52
I fill in my logbook after every dive. I also have my dives logged on my PC as backup in case I lose my logbook.

ChrisA
09-14-2007, 00:57
Just curious: Those of you who log your dives only with your computer: How do you track WHERE you dove, with only date, time and depth info? Can you really memorize a long list of dive locations over time and recall them significantly later, or do you just not care where you dove, only THAT you dove?

Or is it just because you only dive one location repeatedly so it's not that tough?

I can remember for a while and I get some really good hints from the day of the week and depth and time. So if it was a Sunday and a long shallow dive I know it's the one reef but if I dropped straight down into 65 feet it's another place. Weekday nights after woork are all pretty muc the same place. If I did three dives in a row it was almost certainly off a boat and not the beach. The local wrecks are at 120 and 70 feet.

DUnder
09-14-2007, 10:05
I am a new diver so right now I record every dive in my logbook, to keep track of what weight I used, water temps, air useage, ect.

Vercingetorix
09-14-2007, 10:19
Just curious: Those of you who log your dives only with your computer: How do you track WHERE you dove, with only date, time and depth info? The software for my Oceanic Veo 250 permits me to enter all that kind of information. It even has a photo gallery so I can attach multiple photosto that SPECIIFC dive. I can record not just the dive area (Lake Ouachita, AR), but the location (Crawdad Island, which is in Ouachita). I can include dive buddies, notes, etc. It's quite complete.

There are multiple parameters by which I can search my log data as well.

Bring the Payne
09-14-2007, 15:40
I wish I had the discipline to keep all my dives logged. Unfortunately I am just too lazy.

diverdad
09-14-2007, 17:01
i tend to up date my hand written log book after every day of diving. even if they are far and few inbetween.

CompuDude
09-14-2007, 17:14
Just curious: Those of you who log your dives only with your computer: How do you track WHERE you dove, with only date, time and depth info? The software for my Oceanic Veo 250 permits me to enter all that kind of information. It even has a photo gallery so I can attach multiple photosto that SPECIIFC dive. I can record not just the dive area (Lake Ouachita, AR), but the location (Crawdad Island, which is in Ouachita). I can include dive buddies, notes, etc. It's quite complete.

Um, no, I meant those who enter the info only with their DIVE computer. If you are entering info into your desktop computer, then you're not using your DIVE computer as your sole repository of the extra information (that not already displayed on the dive computer screen).

coralcrazed
09-14-2007, 21:12

hey, I'm looking to buy an oceanic geo watch computer with the download feature. do you know if you can imput location nd basic info? thanks.

terrillja
09-15-2007, 14:41
I'm keeping pretty good track of my dives, since I want to go pro. Pretty much every dive I log, except the ones where I just practice skills, like midwater removal and donning of my gear- try that in a dry suit....

Black-Gorrilla
09-15-2007, 16:45
i log em all... hand written in the dive log.
my father uses a MS Xcell spread sheet to log his flights (pilot) and im gonna ask him to make me one for diving next month when he comes home.

kingfish
09-15-2007, 18:20
I download from my veo 250 as well as fill in my logbook with all the possable info i can remember including fish and invertebrates seen...well the ones i remember and can id from books.
Hopefully i will include photos one day.

I am afraid i will either crash my computer one day and loose everything or i will loose my logbook so i do both.

I think it will be good to be able to look back on a previous dive at a location and look out for a particular species i saw last time i was there.

At this stage i like to know what gear i used on each dive as well as my air consumption, dive time, depth etc at each site i dive.

Jas.

bversteegh
09-15-2007, 20:28
My problem is getting behind. On liveaboards - we often do five dives a day; and between dive time is often filled up with downloading the pictures, changing batteries in camera and strobe, etc - and of course you have to review your pictures, and maybe photoshop the good ones. Before I know it, my only log is the folder with the pictures. I do download my computer (an Aeris) - but I haven't been very good using their software to actually add comments to the log.

Kidder
09-15-2007, 20:52
I've gotten pretty bad with the book. My oceanic VT3 has awesome software with it that downloads the dives. After that logging the details is easy and just takes a couple of minutes. It remembers your normal setups and dive sites. It also shows via a graph your depths through out your dive.

shanenurse
09-16-2007, 10:10
I too use the VT3 (love it), but I still keep the hand written log, as I know someday will up grade the computer, I like toys, so it happens every 2-3 years, and I feel I will then loose the computer downloaded part. Guess I could back it all up to disc... hmmm

CompuDude
09-16-2007, 13:31
I too use the VT3 (love it), but I still keep the hand written log, as I know someday will up grade the computer, I like toys, so it happens every 2-3 years, and I feel I will then loose the computer downloaded part. Guess I could back it all up to disc... hmmm

If you stick to the same brand, your previous logs will be imported into the new software, no doubt.

If you change brands, you can go to an alternate software product like DivingLog (http://www.divinglog.de) which can import logs from nearly every computer made.

jpep
09-16-2007, 13:59
I keep a paper log, that I always try to get stamped/signed. I also started maintaining a log on my PC using the software from my Citizen Hyper Aqualand Dive watch in the last 2 years, that allows me to insert photos. Not sure what I will do once I get a dive computer, but I'll always keep the paper log, just in case of a hard drive crash. Wish I had kept a paper log 10 years ago, when I got back into diving after an 18 year hiatus, since I'd be able to go back and remember the old dives! :smiley19:

Kidder
09-16-2007, 21:14

If you stick to the same brand, your previous logs will be imported into the new software, no doubt.

If you change brands, you can go to an alternate software product like DivingLog (http://www.divinglog.de) which can import logs from nearly every computer made.

That looks like a pretty good computer log. DO you think it works with a VT3? I imagine that they would have to keep up with the new models of computers though. You just can't beat having your log on your computer if you ask me. The only thing I think about is if a resort asks to see my dive log before doing a complicated dive.

brandon
09-16-2007, 21:33
I keep my dive log in an Excel spreadsheet. When I go on vacation, I print off the last page of dives, and print an extra page or two to take with me.

When I come home, I put the info I wrote down back into Excel.

I usually go 3-4 dives between updating my log, then I bring my dive computer home and transfer the data from it.

-B.

lucidblue
09-16-2007, 21:36
I download everything from my computer into the Aeris software. As soon as I get a new computer, I'm going to download a different software package that is supposed to be much better. What I'm horrible at is adding my notes from the dive. I really just need to start doing it immediately when I get home, before life drags me away from it.

I want to keep my paper log up-to-date and signed. Hopefully this new software will allow me to print pages the size of my log book and in a nice format.

CrzyJay456
09-16-2007, 21:42
seems like alot of people are going to digital logs now a days. i have to look in to it.
a quick question if i may...
on the computers, when you download dives, does it take them off the computer, or do you end up downloading old dives every time as well as new ones?

CompuDude
09-17-2007, 10:31
seems like alot of people are going to digital logs now a days. i have to look in to it.
a quick question if i may...
on the computers, when you download dives, does it take them off the computer, or do you end up downloading old dives every time as well as new ones?

Depends entirely on the software, I suppose, but most software is going to be smart enough to ignore dives it has already downloaded. For my Uwatec it leaves the dives on the computer (which holds ~100 dives before it starts overwriting the oldest dives) and downloads only the new ones. They're all date stamped and/or serialized somehow within the computer, so it can tell which ones are new easily. Same way your email program knows which emails are new on your mail server.

Defman
09-17-2007, 13:24
Download computer, print and put in a folder. I've never had a written logbook.