PDA

View Full Version : DDCN New Year's Day Dive

Shala
11-24-2010, 18:37
Who is in for the annual DDCN New Year's Day Dive at Oronogo?

navyhmc
11-24-2010, 20:54
Unless things change, I'm working New Years Eve and New Years day-night. Wish I could. I'm going to be there Saturday...

medicdiver
11-27-2010, 09:21
I have to work New Year's Day so I won't be able to make it.

neogeo
12-14-2010, 09:42
i might make it if i can come up with gear

cowgirldiver
12-14-2010, 12:27
If they are open that day, I guess I'll be doing my NY's day dive at the Aquarium this year. I'll miss the company at Oronogo but not the cold!!

neogeo
12-14-2010, 14:22
It looks like i will be there.. who else is going?

mstueven
12-17-2010, 11:40
I'm out... band is playing a New Year's show the night before and pretty sure I won't be recovered yet :)

Shala
12-19-2010, 20:46
Kenny D. -prob.last I talked to him. He may ride down with me. Natalie & Don for sure. Maybe Kevin- if he's not cave diving. Amber Waves group too -I think. Maybe Kyle B. If he's not working. Dan Reeder- if the weather is good. I invited Tony T- but haven't heard back yet... Did I forget anyone??

Shala
12-19-2010, 20:49
i might make it if i can come up with gear I have extra gear what do you need?

shoot2retrieve
12-25-2010, 20:47
My wife and I would be interested in going. I'm sure I'd only be diving, but she would go along for the trip. When does everyone typically meet up??

Shala
12-27-2010, 14:24
My wife and I would be interested in going. I'm sure I'd only be diving, but she would go along for the trip. When does everyone typically meet up??

We meet at Capt. Johns Aka Oronogo

navyhmc
12-27-2010, 19:22

John opens at 9:00 am folks usually line up 10 minutes before that.

Have fun all, wish I could be there, but alas, I'm working both New Year's Eeve and New Year's night and couldn't find anyone to cover for me. :smiley19:

shoot2retrieve
12-27-2010, 19:35
Thanks, Wasn't sure if everyone waited for it to warm up a bit or not. Sounds fun I think we'll definitely be there.

Rileybri
12-27-2010, 20:01
As the DDCN North East chapter chairman I am please to say we will be representing on new years day in lake Champlain.

navyhmc
12-27-2010, 22:01
As the DDCN North East chapter chairman I am please to say we will be representing on new years day in lake Champlain.

Have fun...Wasn't that how the Toxic Avenger was born? New Years Day dive in Lake C??? :smiley36:

shoot2retrieve
01-02-2011, 19:50
Well at least it was sunny Saturday. Got one dive in and down to 45 ish feet vis was good. I didn't make it to the plane, however another diver told me they could see from front to the tail of the plane. The water was down a fair bit farther than it was is November. Went to dive the deep circuit at the front of the 4 doors to the golf cart, miss budweiser, up the wall to the tail of the plane and back thru the training yard. However vis was absolutely horrible aroud 50 footish and was worse at 92' at the bottom to follow the rope. Began following the rope thinking it would clear up, but it just stayed that milky haze.

Also on descent I had trouble clearing my right ear and I've never had problems, usually able to descend like a rock. I had been fighting off a cold so maybe that was the culprit. Ascended a bit and cleared then continued down. Their was tons of slack in the rope from the platform and I had never experienced vertigo before, but I sure did Saturday. On descent things spun real slow and was having trouble keeping concentration on the line to the golf cart and compounded by poor vis I called the dive before reaching the cart. Returned back to the ascent rope to bottom of the platform and began my ascent. On my ascent at around 75' Everything began spinning so fast, comparable to a superfast merry go round ran by an older sibling that won't let you off. Either that or my dive buddies had ninja like reflexes underwater, which I'm darn sure should have caused a whirlpool strong enough to have sucked me into another dimension where C-SPAN and GLEE were entertaining. However I remember the wall staying constant. Was the worst feeling while diving I have ever experienced. An extreme urge to un "ass" my location was extremely prevalent. I had to close my eyes and remember something an instructor had told me was if you have a problem under water you fix it under water. I slowly ascended and at around 40 feet my computer stayed still enough for me to accurately get a depth reading and the vertigo went away.

After 5 minute safety stop at platform surfaced and ended a 22 minute dive.
Had some blood coming from my nose and more in my throat so didn't try any more dives for the day. I have always kind of been impatient with my wife and her ears, but never again!!!!! Had some great dive buddies that let me go along from tulsa and kc, that I wish I hadn't had to have been the weenie. As far as water temps I thought were pretty good at 52 degrees, much better than being topside. Also Regina at the shop made some great Chili for a post dive warm up treat. Was definitely a fun time nonetheless. Hope everyone had a great new years.