PDA

View Full Version : oceanic geo as a starter computer

coralcrazed
09-13-2007, 02:53
What do you think about the Oceanic geo?

does anyone have any good or bad? suggestions? I am seriously considering this item. thanks

ScaredSilly
09-14-2007, 14:57
not familar with the computer - my only thought is that does it allow for Nitrox? If so and it does what you want go for it.

I only bring up the nitrox is that my feeling is that most active divers will use it at some point.

Phestr
09-14-2007, 21:33
I dive the GEO, and yes, it does have Nitrox (up to 50%). Comparing my GEO and my buddy's ATOM 2, they have exactly the same features, with the exception of air integration. I actually like my console (I still don't trust wireless), so that was not worth the extra $$. I really like it, the planning mode is awesome (I used it to time my surface interval for maximum bottom time on the second 130' wreck dive), it's easy to use, and easy to read. If I ever replace it, it will be for more information on the display, which means I'll have to get a computer bigger than a watch. Hope this helps

coralcrazed
09-15-2007, 11:43
not familar with the computer - my only thought is that does it allow for Nitrox? If so and it does what you want go for it.

I only bring up the nitrox is that my feeling is that most active divers will use it at some point.
yes from my resurch it does have a nitrox feature. I don't use nitrox but I amy into the future. I dive on vacation only so don't get to go diving much.

I dive the GEO, and yes, it does have Nitrox (up to 50%). Comparing my GEO and my buddy's ATOM 2, they have exactly the same features, with the exception of air integration. I actually like my console (I still don't trust wireless), so that was not worth the extra $$. I really like it, the planning mode is awesome (I used it to time my surface interval for maximum bottom time on the second 130' wreck dive), it's easy to use, and easy to read. If I ever replace it, it will be for more information on the display, which means I'll have to get a computer bigger than a watch. Hope this helps

do you own the software and cable for logging dives? will it allow you to imput basic info like dive locations ect. is it easy to use? thanks

Phestr
09-18-2007, 00:20
I don't have the cable, I borrow one my friend got with his ATOM 2. It came with the software though, and it is very easy to use. And you can imput all the amplifying data, including a picture, for each dive.

coralcrazed
09-19-2007, 10:49
I don't have the cable, I borrow one my friend got with his ATOM 2. It came with the software though, and it is very easy to use. And you can imput all the amplifying data, including a picture, for each dive.
Thats cool, even a picture... thats it I'm never logging another dive by hand. I did get a chance to got on thier web site since Iposted this and I saw some screen shots. It seems like you can do alot with it as it allows you to reset user settings. thanks

CrzyJay456
09-19-2007, 16:35
if you only log dives on a computer, please make sure you aways have a back up of the logs, cause one little bug, and it could be good bye to a lot of useful info.

coralcrazed
09-19-2007, 20:55
if you only log dives on a computer, please make sure you aways have a back up of the logs, cause one little bug, and it could be good bye to a lot of useful info.
great point that is why I make hard copies of my files on cd's and also stroe them on an external hard drive. you can neverbe too careful. backup your backup.:smiley36:

crpntr133
09-19-2007, 21:25
Also buy one computer and be done with it. I thought that I would never dive EANx but ended up doing so. So far I have gone through 3 computers. I sold one.

rye_a
01-05-2008, 20:01
I looked at the Oceanic Veo 250, but wanted a watch sized computer. After comparing the Suunto Mosquito and the Geo I opted for the Geo because it seems more robust (features and physical build).

Scoobidoo
01-06-2008, 04:02
I have an Atom 2.0, and I would recommend any Oceanic computers any day. I like how it's not ultra conservative (yet safe). And like someone else already pointed out, the downloading cable and software work very well and very user friendly.

MichaelinDallas
01-14-2008, 17:05
Has anyone come up with a DIY cable for the GEO?