PDA

View Full Version : scuba.com

SHAGGY
09-13-2007, 06:50
First I'll start off with a poor customer service story. Well, before I was lucky enough to have found ST, I placed an order with scuba.com. At first, everything seemed fine, I even called up the company to place my order just to get a feel for the way they treated customers. On the phone they seemed nice enough. So,... my first order was for a bag, snorkle, fins and mask for my son. I placed my order and waited,... waited and then waited some more, and then come to find out they waited over a week before they even shipped the items. Then while I was waiting I placed another order for a wetsuit. When the first order arrived, the mask had a defective buckle so I called up the company to see their exchange policy on a defective product, and the rep told me that he would charge me for a new mask and that I would need to ship the defective one to them and they would have a product rep look at the mask and if it was indeed defective that they would credit me the price of the second mask and shipping. While doing all of this I inquired about my wetsuit order, "appx 1 week after the order", and they stated that it would ship out in the next few day and I then had them cancel that order and credit my card that amount and they very reluctantly did.
Now,..... on the positive customer service story. I at first ordered external strobe for my Sealife DC600 from Scuba Toys and the order went great and the guys on the phone were really helpful, and my strobe was shipped out that day. I was in the DFW area a few days later and picked up a Bare Velocity 3/2 wetsuit from ST and a few other items as well, and everyone at the store was great. My latest order was for for a BCD package from ST, that I was ordering for my son. The transaction went smoothly as usual but when I recieved the items the gauges were metric instead of imperial and the amount of my invoice showed that I was billed appx $50 more than the final price that I was quoted on the phone when I placed the order for the package. I then gave ST a call and explained all of this to them and with no hestitation they put an imperial console in the mail with a prepaid UPS return slip enclosed in the box, and they also credited back my card the $50. The bottom line is that you can rest assured that the Scuba Toys guys will stand behind the products they sell until the customer is satisfied.

ScubaToys Larry
09-13-2007, 06:58
Thanks for the kind words... sorry we goofed up your gauge there.. we ship a lot over seas, so we stock a lot of metric products, and I guess someone pulled the wrong one. I'm glad we were able to get it straightened out for you and you were pleased with the final outcome. Thanks for sharing your story.

SHAGGY
09-13-2007, 07:18
Thanks for the kind words... sorry we goofed up your gauge there.. we ship a lot over seas, so we stock a lot of metric products, and I guess someone pulled the wrong one. I'm glad we were able to get it straightened out for you and you were pleased with the final outcome. Thanks for sharing your story.

Hey, I wasnt so worried about the mistake, we're only human. You guys fixed it, and thats what really matters. Any business can and will make mistakes,... it's just that the really great ones know how to fix the problems. The positive comments about you guys on this forum was 3/4 of the reason why I initionally ordered from you guys. It sure makes a person feel at ease when they see so many satisfied people on this forum. Matter of fact, I'm so pleased with your customer servive that I called up Joe the other day and had him work me up a Law Enforcement package price on dry suits for me and my partner. Now I'm just trying to decide which suit to submit to our Chief for us to purchase.

skdvr
09-13-2007, 10:33
scuba.com sucks.... Espically their customer service! Here (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194089) is a post that I made on scubaboard about the horrible experience that I had with scuba.com, and through that post I learned some new things about a specific parctice that scuba.com has about searching for and reporting on scuba buisnesses that sell products under MAP.

Here (http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=194088) is a link to what scubatoys did to help out the situation I was in with scuba.com. I could never say enough good things about scubatoys...

Phil

SHAGGY
09-13-2007, 11:30
WOW,.... I'm glad to see that you came out ok,... thanks to great folks at ST.

coralcrazed
09-13-2007, 20:53
wow... I was looking at thier site. no more now :)

skdvr
09-13-2007, 20:59

I stay away for good now... I warn everyone that I come in contact with that even thinks about buying something from them.

Their buisness practices would have to change an aweful lot for me to ever think about going back there. It is not like what did to me or to the OP is an isolated thing. If you look at my post on scubaboard there are a lot of people that have been screwed by them...

Phil

awap
09-14-2007, 02:52
You guys just don't appreciate the honor they bestow upon you by allowing you to purchase from them. Don't you see how unresonable it is to insist on good customer service over and above the honors? Afterall, these guys all have a strong background as instructors and operators of LDSs.

Hummm --- maybe that is part of the problem.

skdvr
09-14-2007, 05:46
You guys just don't appreciate the honor they bestow upon you by allowing you to purchase from them. Don't you see how unresonable it is to insist on good customer service over and above the honors? Afterall, these guys all have a strong background as instructors and operators of LDSs.

:smilie39: :smiley32: :smilie39:

SHAGGY
09-14-2007, 14:45

OMG,...........thats just too funny,....... :smiley35:

jpep
09-14-2007, 14:57

OMG,...........thats just too funny,....... :smiley35:

Funny yes, but unfortunately, sadly true of many poorly run LDS.

creggur
09-14-2007, 16:08
I've said many times in my short tenure in this sport. The people running these dive shops may be great divers and instructors, but they don't have a clue about running a service based business....

I just read through both of the threads on SB....Wow.. I can't tell you how glad I am that I found ST at the beginning of my diving endeavor. So far all of my gear except for a couple of small things have come from them. They are always quick to respond to orders, and it seems even quicker to take care of any concerns from their customers...Kudos to ST...

crpntr133
09-17-2007, 22:17
I do have to agree about scuba.com. I called wanting an inflator for my Zeagle Brigade. They wouldn't sell me one because it was a part and not intended to be installed by anyone other than a tech. He had no reply for my question of why they sold that item on Amazon. Funny thing is that it disappeared from Amazon but came back last month. Still haven't ordered one.

ScubaToys Larry
09-17-2007, 22:20
That's weird... NO problem selling you an inflator... Just shout if you need one. I always carry a spare with me when I travel. I've got zeagle ones in stock.

Bill22
09-18-2007, 21:06

I stay away for good now... I warn everyone that I come in contact with that even thinks about buying something from them.

Their buisness practices would have to change an aweful lot for me to ever think about going back there. It is not like what did to me or to the OP is an isolated thing. If you look at my post on scubaboard there are a lot of people that have been screwed by them...

Phil

But their business practices were how I came to do business with Scuba Toys :-)

As I read the thread on scubaboard, I was struck over and over with the similarities with my own experience. They made a really good first impression, after that it was all downhill.

First they held up an order for one item that was on backorder making multiple promises on when I would receive my order. They promised a certain date... that date came around they promised another. The first few times it was only a week, then it was like "another MONTH". Needless to say I was really irritated. They were holding my order over ONE item!

The attitude of the customer service rep when I called was really bad. It was like it was MY problem. They did take care of it eventually to my satisfaction, but only after mulitple phone calls and emails, and then they did not COMMUNICATE what they were doing. I figured out after I looked at the invoice what they had done. They still got the color wrong and left off part of my order, but I was given a substantial credit, so I let it go.

Next I emailed them to ask if they could get a replacement part for my BC. They wanted ME to call Tusa and get the part number, then they said they would be happy to give me a price and to get the item for me. I asked why I should do the legwork so they can get my business? What am I paying them for? I actually emailed them TWICE and got the same response both times! (did I mention I bought the BC from them?)

I sent scubatoys an email and Larry emailed me back the same day and said no problem, the price should be this much. When I called to make the order the actual price ended up being LESS. Point is that ScubaToys EXCEEDED my expectations right off the bat.

I'm really sorry that I didn't find scubatoys sooner. Unfortunately, scuba.com did end up getting a couple of thousand dollars of my business.

Because their customer service guy was too LAZY to pickup a phone to get a part number and a price for me, they've lost ALL my future business which will add up to a LOT more money. Never underestimate the lifetime value of a customer! This is a concept that scubatoys understands and why they have my future business!

skdvr
09-18-2007, 21:16
But their business practices were how I came to do business with Scuba Toys :-)

As I read the thread on scubaboard, I was struck over and over with the similarities with my own experience. They made a really good first impression, after that it was all downhill.

First they held up an order for one item that was on backorder making multiple promises on when I would receive my order. They promised a certain date... that date came around they promised another. The first few times it was only a week, then it was like "another MONTH". Needless to say I was really irritated. They were holding my order over ONE item!

The attitude of the customer service rep when I called was really bad. It was like it was MY problem. They did take care of it eventually to my satisfaction, but only after mulitple phone calls and emails, and then they did not COMMUNICATE what they were doing. I figured out after I looked at the invoice what they had done. They still got the color wrong and left off part of my order, but I was given a substantial credit, so I let it go.

Next I emailed them to ask if they could get a replacement part for my BC. They wanted ME to call Tusa and get the part number, then they said they would be happy to give me a price and to get the item for me. I asked why I should do the legwork so they can get my business? What am I paying them for? I actually emailed them TWICE and got the same response both times! (did I mention I bought the BC from them?)

I sent scubatoys an email and Larry emailed me back the same day and said no problem, the price should be this much. When I called to make the order the actual price ended up being LESS. Point is that ScubaToys EXCEEDED my expectations right off the bat.

I'm really sorry that I didn't find scubatoys sooner. Unfortunately, scuba.com did end up getting a couple of thousand dollars of my business.

Because their customer service guy was too LAZY to pickup a phone to get a part number and a price for me, they've lost ALL my future business which will add up to a LOT more money. Never underestimate the lifetime value of a customer! This is a concept that scubatoys understands and why they have my future business!

AMEN!!!:smiley20: :smiley32: :smiley36:

ScubaToys Larry
09-18-2007, 21:22
Thank you for saying all the nice things Bill... but I don't want your future business.

I'm greedy! I want all the future business of anyone you ever dive with too!

plot
09-18-2007, 21:55
althought ST is my favorite, i gotta say i've never had a single problem with any order from LP or scuba.com.

greyzen
09-18-2007, 23:17
Thank you for saying all the nice things Bill... but I don't want your future business.

As you seem to actually own up to your companies promises, I believe you as the number 1 redistributor wouldn't be the worse thing that could happen

Bill22
09-19-2007, 00:32

Trust me when I say that when I talk to ANYONE who wants to buy equipment... it's scubatoys I recommend!! :-)

Bill22
09-19-2007, 00:40
althought ST is my favorite, i gotta say i've never had a single problem with any order from LP or scuba.com.

I'm sure that is true of many people. scuba.com would not have gotten where they are otherwise.... but (isn't there always one of those ;-)) when you look around, it's not difficult to find someone who had a negative experience with scuba.com. I haven't seen ONE unhappy scubatoys customer.

Nobody get's it right all the time and we all understand that. I worked in retail management at one time...trust me I KNOW :-)) It's how a company handles problems that sets it apart from others. I strongly suspect that if Scuba Toys maintains the great customer service they have now, that some day THEY will be the #1 online scuba retailer!

skdvr
09-19-2007, 07:55

I too had bought quite a bit of stuff from scuba.com. I purchased 2 BC's, 4 regs, 2 wetsuits, and various other things from them when I first started scubadiving. I was happy until the situation with my Nemo that I purchased from them. I had a problem with is and they promised me something and then after they figured out that they could not do it they did not even call me to tell me I actaully had to call them to see what was going on and then they told me the news. I agree with Bill that every company will make mistakes because you are dealing with people, and I am sure that after dealing with ST long enough they will screw up an order that I place but I am also confident that unlike scuba.com ST will handle the situation professionally. With scuba.com all I got was a bunch of runaround and that it is my problem and not theirs. I understand that the couple of thousand dollars that I spent with them may not be a huge number in yearly sales to them, but I guarentee that I have already lost them a few sales to some newer divers that I have talked to and I am sure some from my post on scubaboard and hopefully from this thread as well. If they could change their customer service attitude around and I hear that they have I may give them another shot in a few years. I just do not see that happeneing because it would be a total revamp of people. If you have had good experience that is great and I hope that you never have a problem with them that you try to get resolved, because you will be in trouble then...

Phil

mdwestgrl
09-20-2007, 21:57

I too had bought quite a bit of stuff from scuba.com. I purchased 2 BC's, 4 regs, 2 wetsuits, and various other things from them when I first started scubadiving. I was happy until the situation with my Nemo that I purchased from them. I had a problem with is and they promised me something and then after they figured out that they could not do it they did not even call me to tell me I actaully had to call them to see what was going on and then they told me the news. I agree with Bill that every company will make mistakes because you are dealing with people, and I am sure that after dealing with ST long enough they will screw up an order that I place but I am also confident that unlike scuba.com ST will handle the situation professionally. With scuba.com all I got was a bunch of runaround and that it is my problem and not theirs. I understand that the couple of thousand dollars that I spent with them may not be a huge number in yearly sales to them, but I guarentee that I have already lost them a few sales to some newer divers that I have talked to and I am sure some from my post on scubaboard and hopefully from this thread as well. If they could change their customer service attitude around and I hear that they have I may give them another shot in a few years. I just do not see that happeneing because it would be a total revamp of people. If you have had good experience that is great and I hope that you never have a problem with them that you try to get resolved, because you will be in trouble then...

Phil

I completely agree with skdvr! It would take a complete revamp of people at scuba.com and would have to be with people that actually care about their business, take responsibility for their mistakes, do their best to correct them and for crying out loud not be sooooo rude their customers when they do call in to check on an order!! To make a difference. I too have had a few bad experiences with scuba.com and will never use them again.
However, that said, have had nothing but wonderful experiences with ScubaToys and their customer service! They are wonderful and will continue to get all of my future business!!! Way to go guys!!! :smiley20:

JugglingMonkeys
09-21-2007, 02:13
some day THEY will be the #1 online scuba retailer!

you mean they're not already?

:smiley20:

SHAGGY
09-21-2007, 06:37
Well,... On my last order with Scuba Toys they actually made a couple mistakes with the order. BUT,... a simple call about one of the mistakes and an email about the other and the problems were immediately corrected. I know that anytime that the human element is involved that mistakes can and will eventually happen. I never ask for perfection from any company, just for them be honest with me and stand behind what they sell. Scuba Toys has figured out the biggest secret to a successful bussiness. That secret is that when you make a mistake just correct that mistake with as little hassle to the customer as possible, because what ever small amount of money that correction might cost you initionally,... you'll more than make up for it in the long run by keeping ALL of that persons bussiness and then getting "free advertisement" from him to all of his buddies because you totally exceeded his expectations in your customer service.
I was out at Clear Springs Scuba Park in Terrell this past weekend and as I walked past several different groups, at one time or another during the day I heard someone ask where they bought their gear from and 95% of the time the Scuba Toys name was mentioned, and everytime they stated it was because they have great prices AND great customer service.

skdvr
09-21-2007, 07:32
Well,... On my last order with Scuba Toys they actually made a couple mistakes with the order. BUT,... a simple call about one of the mistakes and an email about the other and the problems were immediately corrected. I know that anytime that the human element is involved that mistakes can and will eventually happen. I never ask for perfection from any company, just for them be honest with me and stand behind what they sell.

That is my point, and what I too like about scuba toys. I have not had a mess up from them yet, but I am sure in the future something will come the wrong size or something and I am confident that they will take care of it with no problems. I have just read to many good thing about then and other comments such as your were problems are corrected as soon as possible. Like you say that is the way to do buisness...

Phil

BobArnold8265
09-21-2007, 09:33
Sure glad I read this thread. I was thinking about buying something from Scuba.com but will check the ST site and order from them instead !!!

skdvr
09-22-2007, 05:45
Sure glad I read this thread. I was thinking about buying something from Scuba.com but will check the ST site and order from them instead !!!

Even if ST does not have it on their website either give them a call or shoot them an email. I just ordered 2 XS scuba hoods from them. They are not on their website but they do sell XS scuba gear so they cna get them in. I orginally purchased a XS scuba hooded vest from scuba.com when I purchase all the rest of my gear from them. I love the hooded vest and I know what fits so I wanted to stick with that brand. I did not however want to buy from scuba.com again even though they do show them on their website. I talked to Joe and he said "No problem".

Phil

Wndrer
09-24-2007, 11:36
I bought a wetsuit fan/hanger from Scuba.com and found it later from the manufacturer for $20 dollars less. Well they have this so called 150% price protection that I am still waiting to see if they credit me. It's been over three weeks and I have sent numerous e-mails regarding this. On my last e-mail I got a response AT LAST telling me they are processing it. I had been thinking about buying a dive package with them but no more.

skdvr
09-24-2007, 11:41
ST can offer you package deals as well, but the good thing is that you can call them and get exactly what you want and not have to settle for some premade package. Just give ST a call and tell them what you are looking for and they will treat you right.

Phil

Wndrer
09-24-2007, 13:09
I didn't realize before posting here that I could do other than pre-made packages. After reading the numerous posts here it seems I am in luck. Now all I need to do is save some money and I'll be golden. Might be a nice Christmas present in my future...