PDA

View Full Version : SS Thilstegorm

mcr0112
11-28-2010, 11:34
Has anyone dove the Thilstegorm near Sharm? We have sceduled 3 dives on in it in march and am looking for info on it.:smiley9::smiley30:

dawnvip
11-28-2010, 21:40
Make sure you let me know what you find out... We'll be there at the end of April!
Are you doing a liveaboard or staying in Sharm?

Smashee
11-29-2010, 15:44
I'd try the BSAC forums (http://www.bsacforum.co.uk/) or Yorkshire Divers (http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/content/). Sharm is to poms what Coz is to seppos. You'll get plenty of good info from either of those.

dawnvip
11-29-2010, 18:21
I'll look on the links thanks.

BTW,
What is a pom and what is a seppo?

Smashee
11-29-2010, 18:40
What is a pom and what is a seppo?

Pom/Pommie = Someone from England. As in "The poms were tonking the ball all over the Gabba." :-)
Seppo = American. Rhyming slang for Yank. Sharm's pretty much the major overseas dive holiday spot for Brits.

dawnvip
11-29-2010, 20:03
Pom/Pommie = Someone from England. As in "The poms were tonking the ball all over the Gabba." :-)

Wow, and here I thought they spoke english over there in Britain :smiley36:

I do speak a bit of Scots tho since I dinna ken, haud yer wheesht!

mcr0112
12-04-2010, 17:57
Dawnvip, this will be my 3rd time to the red sea, just never got to do the Thilstegorm. We used Sinai Divers in Sharm staying at the Marriott. It was okay boat diving, one day not crowed then the next day crowed. The dive sites were crowed with divers & boats.
In Dahab we used Dive Urge. Can't say enough good about them. They take really good good care of you. Limit 4 divers to the guide. All shore diving but the sites range from 12 meters ( 3 pools) to 40 meters ( Blue hole just 20 meters from shore) Lots of fish , reefs & few divers at most site. Would recommend Dahab over Sharm for diving. For partying Sharm over Dahab.

dawnvip
12-05-2010, 18:21
Thanks mcr. We are planning on doing a liveaboard out of Hurgada at the end of April. Never been to Egypt or the Red Sea before and this will be my first liveaboard too. The itinerary is Northern wrecks and reefs, so the Thistlegorm is one of our stops.
What have you heard about the Sea Serpent fleet? Looks like a good reputable outfit as far as I can tell.

mcr0112
12-06-2010, 19:09
Dawnvip, we looked into Hurgadaand decided to go back to Dahab. Never have done a liveaboard. Hope you have a great time, give us a trip report when you get back. We use a private guide in Egypt to set up our land portion, in fact this time we are taking 16 people with us on the land portion. Our vacation is the diving at the end.