PDA

View Full Version : Some tool advice please.

Splitlip
11-29-2010, 18:00
Christmas shopping:

I'm looking for a reasonably priced 6 inch bench grinder. Basic household stuff. lawn mower blades etc.
I also want to reshape a recoil pad from an 870. The shoulder stock was kind of chewed up so I took a few inches off. Now the recoil pad is too large. In addition to the rubber you expect, there is a steel plate in there.

Anyway..something dependable and robust which won't walk my bench around the garage

Thanks.

flipcop
11-29-2010, 18:17
G9717 6" Bench Grinder w/ 1/2" Arbor (http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-Bench-Grinder-w-1-2-Arbor/G9717)

Ive always had good luck with their stuff and they are reasonably priced

FishFood
11-29-2010, 18:38
I would be hesitant to purchase from them unless I had a brick and mortar near by to warranty an item (same with Harbor Freight). It's not if but when the items will break. Sears has bench grinders for around $50 and Walmart Im sure will do cheaper.

If I were in the market, I'd probably pick up this craftsman unit for basic household items -

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921124000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1)

Although a horse shoe file works wonders on lawn mower blades and are sub $5

wheelman
11-29-2010, 19:01
Bench grinders are ok, but I find I use a vise and angle grinder more often. Especially for lawn mower blades...

Flatliner
11-29-2010, 20:35
Fish, I have to respectfuly disagree. I have had nothing but excellent experiences with the Grizzly stuff I have owned.

Davetowz
11-29-2010, 23:15
I will have to agree with the service from Grizz. I needed a part for my jointer, I ordered it around 3 in the afternoon, UPS showed up around noon the next day, and that was regular ground service. I am only about 5 hrs from a grizz store though. I have had very few problems with the powertools from Grizzley and my neighbor has a bench grinder from them that is now about 12 yrs old. He dropped it about 5 yrs ago and cracked a part of the mounting casting but it runs good and still does not vibrate. I am going to buy my next bandsaw there.

mm2002
11-30-2010, 05:03
Agree, you can't go wrong with Grizzly. I used to buy a lot of stuff directly from their warehouse in Springfield, MO. Quality tools at good prices, and excellent customer service.

Noob
11-30-2010, 08:34
Are you looking for grinders or belt sanders? A belt sander will work best for that pad. I'd replace the pad with a non metal insert pad though.

cmburch
11-30-2010, 09:13
Yeah, belt sander is the way to go for shaping a rubber recoil pad.

I have a Sears Craftsman bench grinder. I got over 25 years ago. It has a light which is very good to see what you are working on. But a swivel desk lamp would also work well. Best for sharpening use a white stone. I think this is the one. Norton White Aluminum Oxide Grinding Wheels - Rockler Woodworking Tools (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10088)

Splitlip
11-30-2010, 11:17
Thanks for the tips guys.

I actually spotted a combo belt sander/grinder. I'll check out.

Noob: Good idea about a different pad. I'll head to Gander and look for a close fit.