PDA

View Full Version : Oronogo

medicdiver
09-13-2007, 08:50
Has anyone dove Oronogo recently. I am trying to work it out to dive there Sept 22nd or 23rd. I have never been to this location and was wonder if it is worth the trip?

DivingCRNA
09-13-2007, 19:10
Has anyone dove Oronogo recently. I am trying to work it out to dive there Sept 22nd or 23rd. I have never been to this location and was wonder if it is worth the trip?

Yes.

Yes. Depending on what you want to do.

medicdiver
09-13-2007, 19:17
I am wanting to get some deeper dives done and was wondering what there is at around 100ft to check out? What was the visibility and temp at that depth?

Coaster
09-13-2007, 21:29
Some folks from Texas dive there for deep TEC training.

Dark Wolf
09-13-2007, 21:45
Hey guys,
The OP's question is a relative one. Is it worth it? Well, it is to me but your tastes may differ! If you are looking for someplace that has 40'+ vis, then save yourself the gas money. I have seen 20' vis on several trips, sometimes 25', sometimes 10-15'. It just depends.
At the 100' level you can check out the cabin cruiser (about 95' the first of the month), and follow the road up past the 4 Doors cavern (which is just a little shallower).
As with many quarries, the roads are nice because you can be more depth specific. You can look at the map and decide the depth you are interested in and see what is there. There are several interesting things to see in the shallower portions as well.
Personally, I like to dive Oronogo. But everyone is different, my advice would be to try it out and see what you think. As for the 22nd and 23rd, I will have to see what my work schedule is like.
Oh almost forgot, if I remember right the temp at 100 is around the mid to upper 50's. I might be wrong though.
Hope to see you there. I will keep in touch about my schedule.

Dark Wolf

P.S. My avatar pic is from Oronogo. Distance was about 8-10 ft, but there had been a lot of O/W classes in that area.

medicdiver
09-14-2007, 07:30
I'm used to not having the greatest visibility. I normally dive at Beaver Lake and the visibility is around 10-15 ft were I dive. The temp is not that bad for 100 ft. there at Oronogo. Keep me informed and I'll try to meet up with you.

cummings66
09-14-2007, 07:46
I really doubt the temperature was mid to uppper 50's at 100 feet. I'd bet it's more like mid to upper 40's at 100 feet based on my diving there.

Yes, Darkwolf I could have guessed the location of your avatar, there's only one place that green. It's the signature for there.

PS, Project Aware tomorrow at Table Rock Lake, anybody going? I am myself.

medicdiver
09-15-2007, 22:27
Is there anyone available to dive on Sept 22 or 23rd at Oronogo?

snagel
09-16-2007, 08:51
Cummings66 - Add Mermet to the "green wall" effect. Check out my Avatar - it's on the plane at Mermet.

Don't know much about Oronago, never been there, but have heard a lot of positive's about it. It compares to pretty much all Midwest diving.

S. Nagel

cummings66
09-17-2007, 07:31
I would say it compares well to quarry diving, there's a lot of stuff there including a railroad car back about 1500 feet in a tunnel.

It does not compare to lake diving IMO though, no quarry can. They're still a fun place to get wet if it's closer than the lake though.

billucusdiver
09-20-2007, 21:14
I have dove it twice and was not real impressed. It does have ample opportunities for deep tech stuff. I would say it is worth diving once so that you can say you have.

cummings66
09-21-2007, 09:38
I'll probably dive it again, but only to get tech certified. There is absolutely no reason to dive there recreationally, for me that is. It's got nothing to offer that a lake can offer in spades.

But, if you want to learn technical diving then it's worth doing and that's the only reason I'll ever dive there again. It's too far out of the way in comparison to a lake for me, why drive another hour and pay to dive and see less than I can in a lake? Doesn't work for me.

medicdiver
09-21-2007, 15:51
Thanks for your imput. I will see what its like and decide if I will return.

cummings66
09-21-2007, 18:02
That's the only way to decide on any dive site, go there and see what it's like. That's how I know I won't go back. For the time, distance, and money involved I'll dive a lake because it's closer and cheaper plus has more interesting things to see.

But, from what I gather it is one of the bigger technical dive spots and for that reason alone I'll dive it again at the right time. Enjoy your dive and be sure you have a buddy so you can dive there.

medicdiver
09-25-2007, 21:55
Well I went to Oronogo this weekend and had a decent time. I met up with an instructor and went with him on his deep dives. On the first dive with him and one of his friends, we got to about 88 feet and his friend totally narc'd out. I have never seen someone so bad. The person was on the decent line and was frozen in place. You could touch the person and they would not even register you were there. The instructor and I assisted the person to around 60 feet before they became aware of what was going on. Once we completed the safety stop, we surfaced. The person doesn't remember what happened, the last thing they remember was going past the 85 foot mark and then we were there beside them. It was quite a learning experience. Other than that it was a qood day since I was able to get wet.

cummings66
09-27-2007, 11:56
I've never seen somebody do that, but it is one of the things they taught me how to deal with in rescue class. Interesting indeed.

Brandon Belew
10-07-2007, 13:19
I guess I should check this forum more often, i'm almost always up for some oronogo. :)

Mtrewyn
10-15-2007, 11:41
I don't know how true these things are but I have hared alot of bad things,
Narcing seem common, Buddy separation due to currents, bad vis, and once or twice a year they have to fly some one out, for decomp. and my brother the pharmacist sold Son high power decongestant to a guy that was deep certing, out there,and he said that him and hid son did not look like they felt real well, and they said the instructor kept pushing them, Like I said I don't know how true this is, but I don't hear any thing about our other local dive sights, Beaver, Table Rock, Stockton, and I'm from SW Missouri.

plot
10-21-2007, 13:56
I don't know how true these things are but I have hared alot of bad things,
Narcing seem common, Buddy separation due to currents, bad vis, and once or twice a year they have to fly some one out, for decomp. and my brother the pharmacist sold Son high power decongestant to a guy that was deep certing, out there,and he said that him and hid son did not look like they felt real well, and they said the instructor kept pushing them, Like I said I don't know how true this is, but I don't hear any thing about our other local dive sights, Beaver, Table Rock, Stockton, and I'm from SW Missouri.

The vis isn't always great... but currents? It's a 14 acre quarry. I've never noticed any currents there. Even if there were, and you were separated, proper procedure tells you to search for your buddy for a minute and then surface... and in 14 acres, you can see across the entire thing pretty easily.

And narcing is a depth thing, has nothing to do with location... as for people getting bent, a lot of techies go there to touch the 200 foot bottom for practice. I can very well see why there's an increased number of incidents there (if in fact, there is). Really, none of those things have anything to do with the dive site, just the people diving it.

jaldrich
10-23-2007, 19:24
We did our OW check out dives at Quail Run Quarry in Rolla, MO and there is a small current there. Never would have thought to see it in a quarry either, but it's there. Not sure if it has to do with spring water flow and "convection-type currents" as water changes temp and cycles up over and down. Visibility is pretty bad all the time from what I understand, even when classes aren't churning the water up, so maybe there is plenty of water movement stirring things around.

Brandon Belew
10-23-2007, 22:47
I've never experienced a current at Oronogo in my 18 or so dives there. I don't believe it's spring fed, I think it's just fed by ground water run off.

cummings66
10-24-2007, 07:08
I've never felt current there either, it's got to be an old wives tale. There can't be a current for what it's worth.

The rest of it just sounds like somebody who didn't like the spot. I don't like it compared to a lake, but it's safe to dive and IMO has no more trouble than a lake dive does.

Brandon Belew
10-24-2007, 13:48
The only potential trouble is the caves, one of the four doors would be easy to get in without noticing in poor vis.

Or dropping down one of the vertical shafts by mistake.

Or just plain stupidity, going into the 4 doors with 500 psi, etc :P

medicdiver
10-26-2007, 19:48
I liked the location of the quarry but the viz is not the greatest. I am hoping to go again the weekend of 3 & 4th of November. That's if I can find a buddy who doen't mind getting cold.

cummings66
10-29-2007, 19:55
Better call them, they close down and I think they might be closed by November. They'll reopen for the New Years dive and then close again for several months. I think they reopen in April or May.

medicdiver
10-30-2007, 13:40
Thanks for the info. I'll call them now.

medicdiver
11-02-2007, 00:42
I called them and they are going to be open until the 1st and 2nd of Dec.

cummings66
11-03-2007, 11:31
Good for you, I know they're kind of loose around there but they did close. I wished they stayed open because they close during the best time of the year to dive.

medicdiver
11-05-2007, 23:01
They said that the temp is the same at depth all year and that it doesn't freeze over. That being the case, why do they have to close at the first of December. The owner said they will be open New Years day but that is it over the winter. Looks like I need to find a place during the winter to dive. I would love to dive Bonne Terre but it is pretty pricey.

Dark Wolf
11-09-2007, 07:17
If I remember right, the shop itself is not heated. They are open until the 1st and 2nd of December, but they plan on being out of town on a dive trip. So the end of this month will effectively be the end of Oronogo diving until the 1st.
I will probably be diving Stockton Lake after the end of this month. Anyone who is interested can PM me.

DW