PDA

View Full Version : Always get depressed during the holidays?

scubastud
12-04-2010, 21:42
Too bad, you starving for attention or just a downer to be around?
I can't stand people with this attitude, go be miserable by yourself, sheez.

YouTube - R. Lee Ermey GEICO Commercial - Therapist Sarge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA)

bennerman
12-04-2010, 21:47
Too bad, you starving for attention or just a downer to be around?
I can't stand people with this attitude, go be miserable by yourself, sheez.

YouTube - R. Lee Ermey GEICO Commercial - Therapist Sarge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA)

I'm depressed period. But I loved this commercial when I saw it... also "jackwagon", lol

scubastud
12-04-2010, 21:52
well benny you have an excuse.. you a messed up little cracker heh..
I mean ohhhhhh a certian sister of mine.. I swear, she plans and looks forward to being depressed around this time, I am weary of it.

inventor
12-04-2010, 22:51
My father passed away on Dec 28th, takes a while to get the holidays back. I bought a $1.99 set of lights, and put them on the scraggly 3 ft pine tree in the yard. Going full on Charlie Brown Christmas. I agree with you Scuba Stud, too many people need the strife. And they focus it around important events, when they know they can hurt others the most.

scubatrucker
12-04-2010, 23:27
I try to be a good Catholic and try to remeber the reason for the season and try not to remember that I had a grandmother die the week before Christmas 1986, another grandmother who died 3 days before Christmas 2000 and my parents seperated the week between Christmas and New Years 1993 while I was still in high school. I can't explain why but to this day this corny commercial still makes me tear up...YouTube - Folger's Coffee "Peter Comes Home For Christmas" Full Length (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4kNl7cQdcU). Yeah how pathetic am I. but there were some great Christmas' that I remember too that this corny commercial reminds me of... YouTube - 1980's M&M's Christmas Commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBLrjErIGU8). But now that I'm older I can see that Christmas is really all about the kids. and since I have none of my own, I enjoy watching my 6 and 3 year old nieces on Christmas day.

navyhmc
12-05-2010, 00:41
I've worked a lot of Christmas eves/Christmas mornings in my time...I hated every one of them. It seems that every one of them I either have a cardiac arrest call or a in home death call in the early hours of Christmas. As for the holiday itself, nah, I don't get depressed. At the very least, Christmas means Key Lime Pie and quality time iwht my family.

chinacat46
12-05-2010, 07:59
Well I like the woodchuck commercial better. Hope that doesn't depress you.

ScubaToys Larry
12-05-2010, 08:17
And for me... the Pig that cried "Weeee". I'll by flying in to Wisconsin to see my brother, sister, and parents on Christmas... So of course... Yes... I'll be depressed. :)

scubagirlj
12-05-2010, 08:34
love the woodchuck & the pig-deeply disturbed by the burger king commercial for 2 handed chicken sandwich with 2 men "front to back" while trying to pick up some girl-creeeeeepy!-always loved holidays, until this year sucks spending them all alone, thanksgiving was brutal, christmas won't be any better

Vercingetorix
12-05-2010, 09:02
Some people are depressed year-round; it doesn't take a holiday. Clinical depression is a bitch.

Since I'm an R. Lee Ermey fan, I prefer this commercial to the others. I do miss the caveman marketing campaign. The gecko campaign kinda leaves me "Meh."

divingmedic
12-05-2010, 10:53
I love this time of year. I do all kinds of cooking and baking and that makes me happy.

bennerman
12-05-2010, 11:05
Some people are depressed year-round; it doesn't take a holiday. Clinical depression is a bitch.

Since I'm an R. Lee Ermey fan, I prefer this commercial to the others. I do miss the caveman marketing campaign. The gecko campaign kinda leaves me "Meh."

What he said

Aquatrax
12-05-2010, 11:12
I am very conflicted this time of year, Depressed / Happy, but hey, I have found that eating Fruit Cake is the best way to get the taste of gun powder out of my mouth. :smiley36:

Lulubelle
12-05-2010, 11:25
I am very conflicted this time of year, Depressed / Happy, but hey, I have found that eating Fruit Cake is the best way to get the taste of gun powder out of my mouth. :smiley36:

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

KO-Texas
12-05-2010, 11:28
And for me... the Pig that cried "Weeee". I'll by flying in to Wisconsin to see my brother, sister, and parents on Christmas... So of course... Yes... I'll be depressed. :)

Not depressed but the holidays are always somewhat mixed going home to Mom & Dad's. My brother is a cop and sis runs a day care.. Noble professions in the eyes of the folks.. Managing and touring with heavy metal bands, not so much :smiley13: although the family has started to come around.

KO

Lulubelle
12-05-2010, 11:33
The holidays CAN be depressing at times, no one is trying to ruin yours if they feel this way SS.

Christmas 1988 was pretty darn depressing, close family (including my beloved Dad) were dropping like flies. We had to go to Boca where everyone was Jewish to survive that first Christmas without him.
Christmas 2009 was pretty darn depressing too, life had just been thoroughly dismantled about as much as it can be on this side of the grave. I just kept on with prayers of thanks for being alive and found some little kids to borrow (my brothers).

Personally though, I think it is the commercial/secular side of Christmas that can be hard for those who are alone or in the middle of tough times. Which is why I will offer up my answer for the holiday blues. Go to church. Listen to "The Messiah". Remember why Christmas exists. It really isn't possible to be depressed if you latch on to that promise.

BRsnow
12-05-2010, 11:41
The lack of consideration of others is pretty amazing, to think someone is trying to affect your holiday by being depressed is probably more self-serving than the depressed person is. I would think this is the time of year to be kind and give others the benefit of the doubt, it is not all about you, especially this time of year...BR

Lulubelle
12-05-2010, 11:43
The lack of consideration of others is pretty amazing, to think someone is trying to affect your holiday by being depressed is probably more self-serving than the depressed person is. I would think this is the time of year to be kind and give others the benefit of the doubt, it is not all about you, especially this time of year...BR

:smiley32:

bennerman
12-05-2010, 11:58

Incidentally, our school community has run out of poor kids, so for our Christmas basket campaign, our class is getting a 100 dollar visa gift card for a 23 year old with severe agoraphobia :)

Vercingetorix
12-05-2010, 12:20
Incidentally, our school community has run out of poor kids, so for our Christmas basket campaign, our class is getting a 100 dollar visa gift card for a 23 year old with severe agoraphobia :)

That brings joy and hope. It's a great problem to have that there are no more poor kids. Someday, I pray, all communities can say that. Good on you guys for gett that Visa gift certificate. +1

mm2002
12-05-2010, 14:21
I'm not depressed! :smiley20:

scubajane
12-05-2010, 14:29
one of the best ways to deal with depression is to step outside of yourself and do something for someone else. like helping at the city mission. or going to a personal care home and reading to the elderly. go to a dog shelter and volunteer. lots of people are more needy than we are. we are truly blessed.

Lulubelle
12-05-2010, 19:02
I'm not depressed! :smiley20:

Me neither, thank God.

one of the best ways to deal with depression is to step outside of yourself and do something for someone else. like helping at the city mission. or going to a personal care home and reading to the elderly. go to a dog shelter and volunteer. lots of people are more needy than we are. we are truly blessed.

Very true. There are a lot of folks who don't necessarily know how blessed they are. My career choices have put me up close and personal with people far less fortunate than I am. So despite tough times, I am grateful. And I agree with you that serving others is the best recipe for happiness.

scubadiver888
12-05-2010, 23:09
Last Christmas my dog died, my boss gave me the choice of an impossible task or getting fired and I got H1N1. Gave my boss H1N1, got a new job and everyone else got dog treats (what was I going to do with them?) for Christmas. :smiley36:

Okay, I'm joking. Everyone got real presents for Christmas. :smiley2:

buddha0724
12-06-2010, 05:19

Is it the family or flying to Wisconsin?

Go Packers!

buddha0724
12-06-2010, 05:24
I never understood the need of people to get depressed and dwell on the death of loved ones. I for one dont want to remember my loved ones death. I chose to celebrate and look back on their lives. Makes me happy to think of all the happy times and lives they touched during their time on earth.

I agree with a previous post of this being a good time to volunteer.

Mrry Christmas!!!!!!!

scubastud
12-06-2010, 05:38

LOL what!??
Oh I have the problem.. umm right.

ScubaToys Larry
12-06-2010, 08:09
Is it the family or flying to Wisconsin?

Go Packers!
Oh, Just kidding.... It's good seeing my family. I was just there at Thanksgiving... My mom and dad are getting up there in age... Dad is 91, soon to be 92, mom is right behind him... 87... so any Christmas you still have with them is a good one.

So going up to Wisconsin won't be that bad... As long as it's not 20 below on Christmas Day.... I moved to Texas for a reason! I don't do cold all that well... but I'll live with it for a few days.

BRsnow
12-06-2010, 11:20
LOL what!??
Oh I have the problem.. umm right.

With the high rate of suicide in the Military currently, the increased number of suicides this time of year, to name a couple of results of depression, I have no idea if you have a problem, just doesn't seem like a really funny topic, but everyone laughs at different things I suppose. BR

scubastud
12-06-2010, 18:03
Well... I just added someone to my ignore list.. first time!

Will not say who, but he/she (I'm not sure) never misses an oppurtunity to well... whatever.

Good riddance, he/she never posted anything relavant, funny or important anyhew.

Lulubelle
12-06-2010, 18:53

Will not say who, but he/she (I'm not sure) never misses an oppurtunity to well... whatever.

Good riddance, he/she never posted anything relavant, funny or important anyhew.

Awe, now why did you go and do that SS? Oh, you won't even see me whine about it, I forgot.:smiley29:

scubastud
12-06-2010, 19:02
Lulu... I said I didn't know if a he or a she..
I also said she/he didn't post anything relavant, funny or important...

I think now you are ignoring me, or not reading what I post! :smiley2:

TwistedSister209
12-06-2010, 19:15

Are you talking about me, SS.
ARGH.....now I am depressed. Where are the cookies?:smiley30:

Vercingetorix
12-06-2010, 19:20
Are you talking about me, SS.
ARGH.....now I am depressed. Where are the cookies?:smiley30:

If you're the one ignored, he'll never read your comment. Not to worry, though. I'll be your friend.

BRsnow
12-06-2010, 19:24
Typical form for stud, makes fun of people with depression then runs....lol, BR

bennerman
12-06-2010, 19:40
Why must I have to listen to drama everywhere I go? >.>

BRsnow
12-06-2010, 19:42

It is more humor than drama brother....BR

scubastud
12-06-2010, 19:45

psst.. that's what ignore is for.. it works and it's super fun!

scubastud
12-06-2010, 20:21
not me.. I'm happy as a clam.

Vercingetorix
12-07-2010, 06:22
Man, this thread is depressing me.

http://www.cartoonaday.com/images/cartoons/2009/11/prescription_lg-598x690.jpg

Vercingetorix
12-07-2010, 07:41
Some good advice here.
10 Things to Say and 10 Not to Say to Someone With Depression - depression - Health.com (http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20393228,00.html?pkw=outbrain-ha)

This is followed by another on Seasonal Affective Disorder, which is what SS refers to in his OP:
Seasonal Affective Disorder (http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20309270,00.html)

Yeah, Depression is a real illness. It's not "feeling the blues" or "feeling sorry for myself"

TwistedSister209
12-07-2010, 07:43
If you're the one ignored, he'll never read your comment. Not to worry, though. I'll be your friend.

Thanks, V!
You're a good friend, and ASAP, I'm collecting on that offer of a beer! :smiley20:
Now that makes me happy!

Vercingetorix
12-07-2010, 07:46
Thanks, V!
You're a good friend, and ASAP, I'm collecting on that offer of a beer! :smiley20:
Now that makes me happy!

We'll at at CSSP after April. Beer AFTER diving, of course :)

scubastud
12-07-2010, 08:07
Never said depression wasn't a serious thing.
My wife suffers from it.

Difference is she does something about it, and does not seek out attention and sympathy.

But what do I know, I am narcissistic and think everything is about me.:smiley29:

Twisty I would ignore pumpkin pie before I'd ignore you... and neither is gonna happen :smiley2:

BSea
12-07-2010, 09:20
I absolutely love this time of year. I know on Christmas Day that it's only a week till non-stop football. :smiley20:

For those that are depressed during Christmas, just remember that God made Clarence for a reason.

For those that don't get it - Rent, buy or download "It's a Wonderful Life". Ding -a -Ling!!

buddha0724
12-07-2010, 10:13
Oh, Just kidding.... It's good seeing my family. I was just there at Thanksgiving... My mom and dad are getting up there in age... Dad is 91, soon to be 92, mom is right behind him... 87... so any Christmas you still have with them is a good one.

So going up to Wisconsin won't be that bad... As long as it's not 20 below on Christmas Day.... I moved to Texas for a reason! I don't do cold all that well... but I'll live with it for a few days.

High of 20 today. This coming monday high in the teens.

Bring your long Johns!

Enjoy Christmas with the family....