PDA

View Full Version : Finning backwards

cummings66
07-13-2007, 14:18
OK, tell me how to fin backwards. I have watched the videos, read other postings on it, and yet I can not do it consistently. Sometimes it works, other times I go back and up.

I know one key is like frog kicking, but you don'tstart the next cycle too quickly or you'll stop the motion so pleasetell me from step 1 to 10000 how it's done so I can try to do it more constantly. I've been working at it for too long now with little to show.

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 14:22
I don't think it's something that can be adequately described in text. I've watched the videos and read many descriptions, and I can kind of do it, but from what I've heard from everyone who has gone through Fundies, there's no substitute for actual instruction.

frankc420
07-13-2007, 14:53
I've tried it, I don't move too much regardless of how I try. I've been told to do a backwards frog kick... pretty much reverse the motions... Haven't been in the water long enough to try it however..

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 14:54
If it sometimes works for you, then you have the capability to do it. You just need more practice. It's just a matter of muscle memory. Don't think about mechanics. Will yourself to do it.

It probably helps that I have been to the DIR-F first evening lecture twice. Life intervened before I could attend the second session and actual dives, both times, however. Here's hoping September works out better!

But yes, I need to practice it more.

cummings66
07-13-2007, 15:12
It's one of those things that doesn't come easy to me, I sometimes think the best way to do it is get a buddy who can do it and have him move my fins for me until I get it.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Last weekend for me it seemed like it worked really well, then I got tired I guess or sloppy and it went away. It was very neat to watch the crawdad and back away without doing anything other than using the fins.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Then as soon as it come it was gone again and I couldn't do it worth a hoot. I almost thought I had it down, I just can't figure what I did right.</DIV>

jacewindu
07-13-2007, 16:01
perhaps i'm a little awkward, but from so much time in the water (i used to swim a lot on a couple teams) i just developed good sculling with my right foot. most of the time a flick of the foot does it for me, but i understand if that doesn't help you much...

texdiveguy
07-13-2007, 17:38
The skill has nothing to do with taking a Fundies class, its a basic skill taught in many adv. programs......but does have to do with like ReefHound said,,,muscle memory and practice......it will not be long and you will be holding your depth and 'backing-up' like a pro.

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 18:12
The skill has nothing to do with taking a Fundies class, its a basic skill taught in many adv. programs......but does have to do with like ReefHound said,,,muscle memory and practice......it will not be long and you will be holding your depth and 'backing-up' like a pro.

I never said Fundies was the only place to learn it, it's just the only place the people I know have learned it. The key is, someone needs to teach it to you. Some people can teach to themselves through other means, but personal instruction is the best way to learn it. (For the majority of people)

cummings66
07-13-2007, 18:32
i just developed good sculling with my right foot. most of the time a flick of the foot does it for me, but i understand if that doesn't help you much...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I can do that all the time, it's just not what I want to be able to do. Sculling doesn't always cut it and it's likely to stir up silt which is one reason I like to learn new kicking techniques.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I like to dive an area and nobody could tell I was there, even if I was only inches off the bottom. You can't do that and scull.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It sort of reminds me of what one of my buddies said. He's been working on learning things and one day at the quarry he says did you see me frog kicking? I said no, when did you do it. My mistake in answering thusly because he says, I was doing it the entire dive...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What he was doing was some sort of modified dolphin kick with the fins kicking down and boy could he silt up an area.</DIV>

texdiveguy
07-13-2007, 21:04

I never said Fundies was the only place to learn it, it's just the only place the people I know have learned it. The key is, someone needs to teach it to you. Some people can teach to themselves through other means, but personal instruction is the best way to learn it. (For the majority of people)

I disagree that someone has to teach it to you.....it is a skill like most you can learn on your own thru practice.......if a class helps you then that is fine also. You indicated you were not well skilled at this finning method....then your GUE program will lend benefit I bet...good luck with it.

tc_rain
07-13-2007, 23:26
PADI has every other type of specialty class, when are they going to offer one on the different types of finning? http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley29.gif

tc_rain
07-14-2007, 11:41
I think the OW class should cover a couple different types of finning, such as the flutter and frog kick. The rest of thekicks should be covered inthe AOW class. I have known several diverswho have a poor or weak kick that should have been addressed in the OW class that wasn't. I also bet if someone conducted a poll here on the boardonly about half of people know how to fin backwards.

texdiveguy
07-14-2007, 11:53
I I also bet if someone conducted a poll here on the boardonly about half of people know how to fin backwards.

I would guess less than half!

CompuDude
07-14-2007, 12:03
More like less than 5% of the overall dive population.

Cichlid
07-14-2007, 15:04
Funny story. With all this talk about finnng backwards, I decided to jump in the pool and try it. I just really never thought about going backwards before. I ended up doing it with kind of like a reverse frog kick as someone described. My wife asked what I was doing and she laughed at me. She said that's not hard. Well after 20 mins of trying, she couldn't do it. Lol, I got the last laugh.http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif

texdiveguy
07-14-2007, 15:39
Funny story. With all this talk about finnng backwards, I decided to jump in the pool and try it. I just really never thought aboutgoing backwardsbefore. I ended up doing it withkind oflike a reverse frog kick as someone described. My wife asked what I was doing and she laughed at me. She said that's not hard. Well after 20 mins of trying, she couldn't do it. Lol, I got the last laugh.http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif

Thats great.... smileys/smiley1.gif

Ajuva
07-23-2007, 14:10
The real trick is to let your mind go blank and then "Use the Force Luke"http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley31.gif

cummings66
07-23-2007, 19:11
It's odd, but I find I have better luck doing it in a wetsuit than my drysuit. Of course I don't dive wet often so I don't have a lot of luck.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I can do it 100% of the time if I skin dive however, it's easy for some reason. But put scuba gear on me and I have trouble doing it, and a drysuit makes it worse.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Lately I've been playing with it on my safety stops.</DIV>

DirtyWaterIL
07-28-2007, 16:44
Ive been working on finning backwards while in the pool on weekends during dowtimes in class. I have watched all the videos I can find and I have almost got it down. The hardest part is trying, changing what youdid until you got it, then remembering and repeating what you just did.

TxHockeyGuy
07-29-2007, 10:40
I try to work on it during safety stops provided I haven't been deep. If I was deep I'd be doing as little movement as possible. I watched the videos and pretty much just figured it out for myself without any "instruction". I'm not very good at it but I think some of that also has to do with the Aeris Velocity fins I'm wearing, I don't think they are very good for backing up. That being said I have seen someone backup in split fins and I know those are not good fins to backup in.

WaterRat
07-29-2007, 21:58
I was trying it this weekend as well. Seems I go up and not much back. Oh well, keep trying.

Ron

Dive-aholic
07-31-2007, 01:59
It took me about a year to learn the backwards kick on my own. I'm finally able to do it 99% of the time without any issues. It's not easy to describe, though. The key is to push the water forward with the top of your fins and then horizontally slice your fins back into position for the next kick.

As for it being more difficult in a dry suit - that's because of the bigger mass. Either the fins aren't stiff enough to move that mass or more practice is needed.