PDA

View Full Version : BC lift

Mtrewyn
09-13-2007, 09:35
What is a good amount of lift for a BC? The range is quite large, and if I use a Zegal I can change it.

I would think that if you had a lot of lift, just fill it less right??

What happens if you use a BC with too much lift? I can see it as a possible issue if you put too much air in, but other that that.

Am I missing something?

fire diver
09-13-2007, 09:47
If your BC has more lift than you need, you have a lot of loose, excess material acting as drag in the water. Most BC's have anywhere from 18-30 lb lift ranges. What best for YOU depends on how you dive. Do you dive dry or wet? what thickness wetsuit (if wet) what depths do you dive to? how much lead do you carry?

If you dive wet, you have to take suit compression at depth into consideration. Your BC should be able to lift all your gear and lead, if you had a total flood of your drysuit, or you compressed all lift out of your wetsuit.

FD

ScubaToys Larry
09-13-2007, 09:54
Also a BC with a bunch of lift will inevitably be larger for packing - maybe an issue if you travel a lot.

Mtrewyn
09-13-2007, 10:01
good help, thanks

BSea
09-13-2007, 10:18
From what I've heard, if you use a wing thats designed for doubles with a single tank, it can be hard to vent the air because it tocos around the single tank. I really don't know that from 1st hand experience because I've never dove this setup. But I've heard of people diving a larger wing that so if/when they went to doubles, they don't have to buy a wing just for doubles.

So if you plan on diving doubles in the future, plan on a larger BC wing in addition to the singles BC.

coralcrazed
09-13-2007, 18:19
man nothing with diving is straigh forward is it?

coralcrazed
09-13-2007, 18:21
well I dive wet shorty and carry a bit of lead and never had an issue with any bc. and... never had to fill it much to get boyant at most three short bursts.

Mtrewyn
09-14-2007, 00:06
man nothing with diving is straight forward is it?

no kidding.

Thanks for all of the insight