PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Pickpocket - The Tinfoil People Are Right

Vercingetorix
12-07-2010, 08:23
It appears that theives can read the info off your credit cards without actually swiping your card through a reader. I saw this on a show, Burn Notice, and wondered about it.

Electronic Pickpocket Stoppers - washingtonpost.com (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/01/AR2008040102840.html)

Scary stuff.

I have a card reader hooked to my computer that can read any card with a magnetic strip. Fun to see what's on the cards. And duplicate them. To test this, please forward your credit cards to me. Thanks

John Yaskowich
12-07-2010, 11:07
Big problem with the article is that there is no power source in an RFID card, so it cannot "leak" data without a reader to provide the power.

I read a study about some of the perils of using the technology in passports - one is that, although the information is either encrypted or just a key to info stored elsewhere, the fact that the RFID is THERE is information. Assuming only westerners carry RFID chipped passports / credit cards, a terrorist could build a device to trigger and count the RFID chips in the area and when a threshold is reached, trigger the bomb.

Vercingetorix
12-07-2010, 11:10
Big problem with the article is that there is no power source in an RFID card, so it cannot "leak" data without a reader to provide the power.

My electronic tolltag transponder responds when pulsed. So, a clever person could capture the signal and create a fake tooltag that I would then be charged when he uses it.

According to the article, even passports and passport cards come with metal sleeves to prevent leaking.

Defman
12-07-2010, 14:21
I got some of those credit card sleeves after seeing this deal on Pitchmen, they actually do work. I've laid my card on several different readers at stores and it can't read them. Also got one for my passport

Identity Stronghold - Seller / Manufacturer of RFID Blocking Wallets, Sleeves and Badge Holders (http://www.idstronghold.com)

SlvrDragon50
12-07-2010, 14:24
Er.. I would think that your tolltag isn't RFID then.

RFID are off until the transponder gives them the energy wirelessly to send out the signal.

navyhmc
12-07-2010, 14:33
I solve that problem by not having RFID cards...

Vercingetorix
12-07-2010, 14:43
I solve that problem by not having RFID cards...

Got a new passport or passport card? Then you've got RFID.

emclean
12-08-2010, 07:18
Er.. I would think that your tolltag isn't RFID then.

RFID are off until the transponder gives them the energy wirelessly to send out the signal.
most of them are, for that reason, no batteries to replace.