PDA

View Full Version : PLus size wetsuits

jimmysdevoted
09-13-2007, 11:41
I have aproblem, I am plus sized i can wear anything from a size 14 to a size 18 in either misses or womans.
Why do wetsuit companies nto take into consideration that theer are plus sized women who dive and snorkel. I hate havingt o buy a mans wet suit. I have nice curves and mens just dont cut it. But they also have ot be affordable. Men and women can find wetsuits strating at 60 bucks at places like Tommy D but if i want aplus size i have ot pay two weeks paychecks to get one.
Any other plus sized out there?

Foo2
09-13-2007, 11:55
I know that there are several plus sized ladies on this board. It seems to me that several of them have Bare wetsuits. I believe that they have this (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=BareWomensProg3mmfull) on imparticular. I personally am not plus size, but I own the Bare Brigade (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=BareBrigadeFullWomens). It seems to do well bending to my curves. I hope that helps.

Liv7301
09-13-2007, 19:48
Yes, Foo2 is very much not plus sized despite having children :smiley1:

I have a 3 mm Bare Velocity Progressive Stretch men's in a 2XL Short. I am a size 22-24 and it has been very comfortable for me. For a shorty I have a Neosport in a 3mm but since Neosport doesn't have stretch I ended up going up a size for comfort. I want to get a 7 mm and will most like be getting something custom.

divechaplain-sara
09-14-2007, 00:04
I have the women's BARE in a 14+; I'm short so this suit would actually come closer to a 20 Women's Petit in regular clothes. It fits me quite nicely and I'm bigger than you are. Try on some BARE suits.

silentstone7
09-14-2007, 06:54
If anyone knows of any extra long wetsuits, I can't find any anywhere. Nothing like diving with an atomic wetsuit wedgie...

Liv7301
09-14-2007, 16:01
If anyone knows of any extra long wetsuits, I can't find any anywhere. Nothing like diving with an atomic wetsuit wedgie...

Bare does offer talls in some common women's sizes. I think the Henderson line tends to run a bit taller across the board. Men's suits would also offer more height, but if you are curvy it might not have the torso fit that you desire.

Athena2c
09-14-2007, 20:53
I'm a 14 and on the tallish side and find Henderson fits me great!

thesmoothdome
09-14-2007, 23:14
Uhmmm...let me appologize for being in this forum in the first place. Just saw the topic and figured I might be able to add a little here.

Bare is wonderful for + sizes. Starting at size 12, they offer a 12 and a 12+ for different body types. I know ST carries both the regular sizes and the plus sizes and are very quick to exchange a suit if it isn't exactly what you need.

As always, let me add, I'm not a ST employee or a shill for them. I simply appreciate their business practices.

Liv7301
09-15-2007, 20:49
It's one of the nice things about living close to the shop...they will order stuff for you to try on if it's a particular thing that they don't have in stock. And if it doesn't fit, no worries, they just put it on the floor and sell it.

scubasavvy
09-16-2007, 17:52
I've heard nothing but rave reviews about Bare wetsuits...

Zenagirl
09-17-2007, 07:21
I'm not quite a plus sized girl (wear a 12), but I really love my Henderson Hyperstretch suits.

Charlotte Smith
09-17-2007, 07:54
I'm not quite a plus sized girl (wear a 12), but I really love my Henderson Hyperstretch suits.
Me too....12 that is...and I have a sea and sea and an xcel in stretch suits and both look and feel great! I have had bare velocity and they were great also...hope this helps.

voodoodoly
09-18-2007, 20:23
The Bare Velocity comes in a wide range of sizes. I love mine! It is easy to get into and comfortable to wear. I bought mine this spring and am now looking to get a thicker one for the fall.
The Henderson Hyperstretch is also a great suit but on the pricey side.

NoSouthernBelle
07-23-2008, 17:12
Any recommendations on what exactly to wear under wetsuits? I had planned on a Speedo one piece but after trying on wetsuits and sweating in them, I leaning towards a 2 piece competition suit, if I can find one in plus size.

CFDAlden
07-23-2008, 23:30
I bought my wife a diveskin, and she no longer has to fight with her suit. It give the wetsuit a nice surface to slide over. Under that she wears a one piece.

She has a Bare Velocity womens suit.

NoSouthernBelle
07-29-2008, 16:00
I just picked up the PERFECT wetsuit! It's a Henderson hyperstrech 3mm size 14! No skin needed but Henderson is running a special until July 31st where they will throw in a FREE HOTSKIN with any hyperstrech purchase, from an authorized dealer!

AS info, I tried the suit on with a Speedo Solid Ultraback - Contemporary. Everything fit like a glove!:smiley20:

navyhmc
07-29-2008, 16:20
As a diver who does dive with a few plus sized dive divas, if you go the skins route, please have an appropriate supportive accoutrament underneath. One gal didn't and it was both uncomfortable for her and- forgive me for saying-not pretty to see, reminded me of 2 two puppies playing under a blanket.

You didn't see me, I was never here. :outtahere:

:smiley36:

freeski4ever
07-29-2008, 22:16
As a diver who does dive with a few plus sized dive divas, if you go the skins route, please have an appropriate supportive accoutrament underneath. One gal didn't and it was both uncomfortable for her and- forgive me for saying-not pretty to see, reminded me of 2 two puppies playing under a blanket.

You didn't see me, I was never here. :outtahere:

:smiley36:

LOL!!! This is hilarious!!

Lulubelle
07-29-2008, 22:36
OK boys, clearly you have not ever had to find "appropriate accoutrements" for an ample set of "girls". Trust me, easier said than done. This might actually be the first time in history I've ever seen a guy complain about the girls flopping around, so that is a new one.

Maybe we should start a naked diving club just for kicks. Flop all over the place.

rawalker
07-29-2008, 23:45
My wife likes her Pinnacle Elastiprene wetsuits. I got her a 7mm and a 3mm along with a Neosport dive skin to help slide into them. The diveskin goes over a 1 piece swinsuit that keeps her puppies under control. The diveskin is also a SPF 50 sunscreen which is perfect since she can get a sunburn in under 15 minutes if unprotected.

navyhmc
07-30-2008, 05:11
OK boys, clearly you have not ever had to find "appropriate accoutrements" for an ample set of "girls". Trust me, easier said than done. This might actually be the first time in history I've ever seen a guy complain about the girls flopping around, so that is a new one.

Maybe we should start a naked diving club just for kicks. Flop all over the place.

Last time I try to be a gentleman...uh, guys, can I have my man card back? :smiley36:

Lulubelle
07-30-2008, 08:02
Aww, sorry navyhmc, just dishing it back. It made me laugh. So did the VERY long thread in man world on peeing. Are you kidding me, days of discussion on...peeing...

I'm sure your man card is intact. Come back any time.

KimkiD
07-31-2008, 11:37
As a plus sized diver I find it absolutely miserable to shop for just about any sporting gear. My husband is a husky man and whammo gets something right off the rack. I am a fluffy woman and I have to practically plead to get anything that fits. The big problem is that I am extremely busty. I could get into a Bare 14+ if I didn't have the damned boobs. You throw the boobs in there and it was a nightmare. Got it zipped but couldn't breathe.

I dive a henderson hyperstretch 14 and love it. But what I think we need to do is really pressure all sporting goods companies to be fair to women! Why is it a fluffy man can buy a piece of gear no problem...but a fluffy woman can never find anything close to her size. It's really demeaning! Thank you Henderson for being kind to those of us with curves!

(Stepping off my soap box now).

Bottom line, I was told in order to stay warm, I would need to order a custom suit or go dry. $$$ Just not fair.

Foo2
07-31-2008, 11:55
But what I think we need to do is really pressure all sporting goods companies to be fair to women! Why is it a fluffy man can buy a piece of gear no problem...but a fluffy woman can never find anything close to her size.

I agree with what you are trying to say here. But in all fairness to the manufacturers...it can't be easy. Think about all of the plus sized women you know. They are ALL different shapes. Some may be fluffy around the midsection with small boobs and others with large boobs. Some may be pear shaped with very small shoulders and small or large boobs. Some may have a fluffy midsection and skinny legs. Unfortunately, women aren't a one shape fits all. Typically men that are bigger are similar in shape to other bigger men. Of course there are some exceptions, but that has been my observation. Like I said before, I totally get what you are saying...I have my own share of the "It's not fair's" but it would be pretty crazy. I think that Henderson is on the right path by providing the extra stretchy neoprene to help cushion all of the curves, and the other manufacturers are trying to compete. Hopefully they will catch up soon!:smiley20:

Lulubelle
08-03-2008, 23:14
Hi all,

I'd have to agree with KimkiD. Finding sportswear of any kind is pretty nightmarish for folks much beyond a size 12, and for those of us who are also busty girls, forget it. Does the world think we don't do active sports or something? I don't think it is so much about the vast permutations of shapes that we women come in, but more about the bias of industry. Even larger sizes with "average" proportions aren't there, clearly no one is really trying to meet the needs of this market. Scuba gear seems to be more size friendly than most sportswear. I have spent 6 months trying to find some sportsbras and am getting ready to go custom.

As for scuba...The Henderson hyperstretch (14) has been great for me too as I see it has been for others.

By the way, we have money and we would spend it if we could. :smiley19:

PhD4JC
08-12-2008, 18:54
Bare (the wetsuit) is my friend.

Puppies under a blanket??? rotfl, hippos perhaps....

naked dive club? there is a post somewhere about that, and the resorts/agencies that support diving in the nude (i'd be too scared to feed the fish)

blue_passion
08-13-2008, 11:37
I want to first thank everyone for the useful information about what wetsuit to buy. The information I found here was very helpful in finding me a wetsuit that I needed.

I'm 5'11", 230lbs, and I'm a 38D. My first experience with a wetsuit was donning a 4XL men's suit rental from my local LDS where I was getting certified. Even after I got into the pool, it was so tight that it was cutting off the circulation in my legs.:smiley19: (Farmer John-type style)

So I had to be taken back out of the pool and stripped down enough to where I could finish the class. Quite embarrassing if you ask me. Anyhow, determined not to be deterred, later that day I tried-out suits at Sports Chalet. Big mistake!! Nothing fit, I tore all the skin off of my knuckles trying two different suits and I ended-up practically running out of the store in tears!

So I pulled-up my boot straps and found this thread online. A few days later, I tried on a size 16 Bare suit but it it still didn't fit so I ended-up trying on a 7mm Henderson Titanium Hyperstrech in size 16 with a 2XL dive skin, and "wha-la" it fit like a glove!!

It wasn't cheap but I'm ecstatic to have one that fits. Thanks everyone!:smiley20:

mare63
08-31-2008, 14:12
Hi,
I also own a Bare Velocity3/2 mens and I have always had an issue with
the chest sizes and a XLS is Perfect Fit :smiley20: and hugs the rest.