PDA

View Full Version : BVI almost here....

billp
12-12-2010, 17:25
I awoke this morning to realize that the 10 day forecast on my iPhone TWC app covers my first two days of our trip to BVI. This will be my first warm water adventure - having done many lakes, ponds, mudholes, streams and bathtubs round these parts ... and having done two trips to Catalina. More to follow upon our return, wish us luck. BTW - I posted in another forum about tipping, if you didn't see it ... I'm looking for advice on common and customary - this being our first liveaboard (sailboat for 6 days!!!).

mocepts
12-12-2010, 18:31
Ahh, have a good time. We were there for 2 weeks in October, and I'm wishing I was still there every day. Definitely a great time. Diving was awesome, and so much to do top side.

scubajane
12-13-2010, 14:02
Pictures we want pictures!!!

Rileybri
12-13-2010, 14:18
Have a blast. I sent you a PM with some info from my trips down there. I recommend the soggy dollar for a SI if you can!

bfmorgan
12-13-2010, 15:37
I am very jealous. Have a good time and send all of us that are depressed by the cold weather and snow a dive report when you return.
I awoke this morning to realize that the 10 day forecast on my iPhone TWC app covers my first two days of our trip to BVI. This will be my first warm water adventure - having done many lakes, ponds, mudholes, streams and bathtubs round these parts ... and having done two trips to Catalina. More to follow upon our return, wish us luck. BTW - I posted in another forum about tipping, if you didn't see it ... I'm looking for advice on common and customary - this being our first liveaboard (sailboat for 6 days!!!).

jet126
12-13-2010, 19:33
Lucky you! This is the first Christmas in ages that I am NOT going to the BVI's. I got my OW in STJ years ago, so always a special place in my heart. Fabulous diving, hopefully you will make it over to Anegada for at least a day. I posted a trip report from when I was there this past July somewhere on this forum.

Must do: wreck of the Rhone, of course. Willy T's (just for the people-watching), lobster at Neptune's Treasure on Anegada, the Baths on Virgin Gorda.

Don't forget your passport.

Are you on the Cuan Law? I sailed with them in 2002 (?). It's a really nice boat.

Enjoy!
jet

Rileybri
12-13-2010, 19:37
The willy t is lame now that they dont let you jump form the yard arms anymore. lol Lunch at the Marina on Cooper Island will yield one of the best tuna sandwiches you ever had! is its next to one of the better dive sights.

billp
12-14-2010, 11:27
Thanks to all.... My alarm went off this morning at 7:30am to remind me that I have 100hours until my flight departs.... and 30 hours later will be on the ship sailing toward the sunset. I am packing some snow that my brother sent me from someplace that it was -1 or something like that ... I hear some people on the Island have never seen snow. I hope it makes it without getting yellowed :-)

billp
12-14-2010, 11:29
Corus - Charter Yacht Corus in the British Virgin Islands ( BVI ): Sail ( Sailing ) On A Crewed Yacht Charter Boat. (http://bviyachtvacations.com/) I booked directly with them. A little scary to wire a whole bunch of cash to someone you never met; updates after the trip.....

Rileybri
12-14-2010, 11:30
more like no concept of it.

billp
12-14-2010, 11:30
Many thanks. I saw it. Much appreciated.

Rileybri
12-14-2010, 11:33
just looked and I can fly direct Boston to St.Thomas for $80 each way right now!!! ya may see me down there!

billp
01-01-2011, 12:06
Ok... quick post-trip dive report. Firstly, the diving was absolutely fantastic. Of course, since this was my first warm water dive, perhaps I don't know any better, but it was better in terms of diversity of sea life etc. than my next favorite spot Catalina Isl. Ca. Of course, we did the usual stuff like the Rhone, but I have to say that my favorite sport was the Indians. Due to somewhat limited visibility (25-30') on the day we did it, we only did the Indians itself and not the wall. But, that will make for a good next trip down there. We didn't see any sharks, but saw turtles, Squid (couldn't decide if they were mating or fighting), stoplight parrotfish, four eye butterfly fish, groupers, Tarpin, eels, a huge (and I do mean huge) spiny lobster, a ray and a peacock flounder that I initially mistook for a ray, trigger fish, procupine fish, yellow wrase, yellowtail snapper, a peacock flounder that Iof course, sponges and corral, etc, etc, etc.

Planning our next trip - probably to West Palm Beach in Feb. Hopefully it won't be too cold.