PDA

View Full Version : The Beatles

captain
12-12-2010, 21:00
What with all this Beatles thing going now. I didn't like their music then and still don't now. Give it up.

ScubaToys Larry
12-12-2010, 21:03
Most influential band of all time...

scubastud
12-12-2010, 21:04
cap, it is thirty year annivesary of Lennin's death, only natural there would be beatle talk.

They are not my favorite either, but lots of people like em, and this friendly place to talk bout such things, not just scuba .

Hence this cat. name "surface interval"

navyhmc
12-12-2010, 21:11
I liked a few of their songs, but wasn't much of a Beatles fan. Did get my much more of a fan wife the white album when it came out on CD though. I was not of an age that the Beatles interested me when they first came across the pond so I never really understood the rage over them...still really don't either. I was more of a Seiger, Skynrd, ELP fan.

captain
12-12-2010, 21:44
Most influential band of all time...

Didn't influence me, and all time, come on.

ScubaToys Larry
12-12-2010, 21:53
Didn't influence me, and all time, come on.

Without a doubt.... Before them, everything was simple 1/4/5 progressions over and over. They were the first band to incorporate complex progressions in pop music, harmony structure, different instrumentation, new recording technologies, and on and on. They changed the face of music. Even if you don't like their stuff, I guarantee, any band you do like, was influenced more by the changes the Beatles made in popular music, than any other band out there.

I was a full time traveling musician for 6 years on the road, and it was amazing how many times when learning songs, I'd find progressions, and styles that was a direct derivative of Lennon tunes.

Smashee
12-12-2010, 22:00
Name a band who's had more influence on music than The Beatles, then. Not individual musicians or composers, but bands/groups/orchestras/collections of wandering minstrels.

Their style of pop leaves me cold, I prefer a rawer edge to my sounds, but the influence they had on popular music was immense.

captain
12-12-2010, 22:53
I may not know the intricacies of music but I know what I like.

ScubaToys Larry
12-12-2010, 23:03
I may not know the intricacies of music but I know what I like.

Yea, there are different opinions on everything... some like country, some like jazz, but in the pop world, they kind of broke virtually every record out there, including holding the number one slot for album on the charts for an unprecedented 175 weeks. So obviously, some like them!

And the most Number 1 hits... with 20.

And even though stylistically, there are other bands I like better, I do not think any of the others have been close to having the stylistic and musical influence that they have had.

And if you look at history.... Really, so many bands reflect what society is doing... the Beatles in their day, really influenced what society was doing.

scubastud
12-13-2010, 05:01
OK Led Zepplin for one
They were more inspired/influenced by Willie Dixon than the beatles.
The Doors
Allman Brothers Band
I doubt Iggy would say the Beatles influenced him and the Stooges.
Jus off top of my head.

Vercingetorix
12-13-2010, 06:04
I'm old enough to remember Beatlemania of the '60s (I was 12 then) when they came to the States for the Sullivan show. To me, they sounded like any other garage band of the era. Later on, with songs like Eleanor Rigby, Strawberry Fields, I enjoyed their music more. They became troubadors and balladeers. I'm not a music techie, so I'm unaware of the things Larry described above. I like what I like: early Beatles...no, later Beatles...yes.

scubastud
12-13-2010, 06:33
Actually, virtually every modern band can be linked, in six steps or less to Kevin Bacon.

scubatrucker
12-13-2010, 07:33
So I'm only 35 but for me The Beatles will always be one of my favorite bands. You need to remember they came to America at a time when people were still mourning the death of John Kennedy. Hollywood was spitting out artists where old guys were writing really bad songs for the kids. I mean Dion, come on. Johnson was the President now and didn't have the youth and carisma of Kennendy. Then here comes this band from England who wrote their own songs, played their own instruments and they had long hair. The young peolpe were excited again.

Adding to what was said above, their music was influential but not only because of Paul, John, George or Ringo, but mostly because of the genius producing of George Martin. If you doubt that, listen to side B of Abby Road. Do you really thing they wrote all that in one sitting. No way, the boys had bits and peices and Martin put it all together and it worked.

And you can't deny there would not be a Pet Sounds record from the Beach Boys if not for my favorite record, Rubber Soul. Brian Wilson was so impressed with Rubber Soul, he created Pet Sounds, The Beatles were so impressed with Pet Sounds they created Sargeant Peppers. But really the more complex style of songwriting goes back to what Bob Dylon said to John. As in Please Please Me and Beatles for Sale, Dylon told John his songwriting was saying nothing important nor meaningful. Lennon was so taken back by this he created In My Life which appears on Rubber Soul. and the writing and style got more complex to the end. If you listen the The White Album, actually called "The Beatles" you can tell it was a band that was on edge. The entire album sounds more like a greatest hits of solo Beatles recordings. I mean at the same time when George was recording Blackbird in one studio, John was recording Revolution #9 in another. How much more extreme can those two songs be? But they still gave us more even though Let it Be was the last album recorded, Abbey Road was the last record released. I think they new it when it was layed down on tape. The last Beatles song on the last Beatles album is called The End. Talk about perfect.

ScubaToys Larry
12-13-2010, 07:44
Yea, if you look at what was popular music before them, they really broke new ground. When the world was listening to things like Andy Williams and Paul Anka... bands doing songs like "its in his kiss..." the Beatles set everyone on their ear...

As far as Led Zepplin, so much of what they were was only possible from the Beatles leading the way... How many popular British bands were selling in the US? The Beatles hit the market and made way for the Stones, Led Zepplin, and all the others that followed.

If you study the music stylings, it's actually pretty easy to hear a lot of beatles influence in Led Zeppelin songs...

Turns out, that George hung out with them more than the other 3....

George Harrison was more noted for hanging out with Zep than any other Beatle, that's for certain. At John Bonham's 25th birthday party, it was Harrison who started the debauchery all because he knew the nature of the beast he was about to enter.. so instead of bowing his head and succumbing to what he knew was to come (this WAS John Bonhams party after all...enough said) George decided to take the bull by the horns and get things going. When a photo op. presented itself, Harrison grabbed the top tier of Bonham's birthday cake and heaved it at the guest of honor. Pandemonium ensued with Bonham throwing anyone he could find into the swimming pool, Harrison included. Jimmy Page, who could not swim and was dressed in a truly expensive lavender suit.. gave up and simply walked slowly and gallantly into the pool, fully dressed. It was hilarious.

On another note, it was also George Harrison who is given credit for The Rain Song. He commented to Jimmy that the trouble with Zep is that there's not enough ballads. Jimmy wrote The Rain Song, and some say purposefully added the first 2 chords of Harrison's "Something" as the intro to "The Rain Song". Upon initial listening, one cannot argue with that logic. No doubt it is true.

mm2002
12-13-2010, 09:07
Porter Wagner wasn't influenced by the beatles. At least I don't think so.

Lulubelle
12-13-2010, 09:20
If it weren't for the British rockers from the 60s, Beatles included, American blues would be a historical footnote.

This is a cool film series for those blues afficionados amongst us.

The Blues | PBS (http://www.pbs.org/theblues/)

bluestars
12-14-2010, 07:02
Whole lotta Beatles stuff right now, but they dont tell you about...
The town that said no to the Beatles! Back in 63 in Horsham, England, Rolling Stones appeared in August in church hall for $80/50 !
Young promoter friend of mine booked Beatles for $390/250, but nobody would hire him a hall !
Stones yes, but Beatles no !
Got a book given me month back, its by that guy who turned that fact into fiction with a whole lotta 60s music and blackmail, abuse and success.
They tell you all about i-Tunes and all that, but not about that gig eh? Read about it, published in US 'Tear My Heart' good read.

jans
12-14-2010, 10:07
Three very talented musicians, and one drummer.

ScubaToys Larry
12-14-2010, 10:18
Three very talented musicians, and one drummer. Two drummers...you're leaving out Pete.

jans
12-14-2010, 10:38
Two drummers...you're leaving out Pete.

Interchangable.

Vercingetorix
12-14-2010, 10:40
Three very talented musicians, and one drummer.

As a drummer, I take exception :smiley36:

Question : Name three imaginary people.
Answer: Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and a drummer who can keep a beat.

captain
12-15-2010, 20:36
As a drummer, I take exception :smiley36:

Question : Name three imaginary people.
Answer: Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and a drummer who can keep a beat.

Tied my hand at drumming many many moons ago, may be some truth to the answer.