PDA

View Full Version : Have You Read of Discussed the Wkileaks Document Release? Then, You Are A Felon

Vercingetorix
12-14-2010, 15:26
Because of the Espionage Act of 1917, legal experts warn that if there is an indictment under the Espionage Act, then any citizen who has discussed or accessed "classified" information can be arrested on "national security" grounds.

Espionage Act makes felons of us all - Computerworld Blogs (http://blogs.computerworld.com/17521/espionage_act_makes_felons_of_us_all)

inventor
12-14-2010, 15:35
'Citizen', I've been wondering how we would prosecute a foriegn national for this. He's Australian, but we have an extradition treaty with Australia.

Treaty of Extradition between the United States of America and Australia | Expat Intelligence (http://www.expatintelligence.com/extradition-treaty-australia.shtml) Yes, I look at all kinds of stuff.

So, would he be a foriegn combatant? Foriegn subversive?

FishFood
12-14-2010, 16:51
We were told (1) not to read the documents and (2) technically once a computer system had accessed Wikileaks (or any of said documents) that it was now a 'classified' system. I thought that was an interesting tidbit...

Vlane
12-14-2010, 22:15
On the topic of Wikileaks and Julian Assange, most people are completely misunderstanding what is going on. Assange is not some hacker or spy, him and tje organization are simply an outlet for information. All documents released by Wikileaks were given to them by whistleblowers within the organizations. Based off my limited knowledge of the cables and what's been released I welcome information like this. I wish we had more transparency with our government (thanks for keeping that promise Obama :smiley13:) and these documents are actually providing some. A lot of others are also misunderstanding Assange's role with Wikileaks; he is more of a figurehead for the organization. Eliminating Assange, whether it be through the current smear campaigns assassination, will not stop Wikileaks. I'm really interested in how all the whole situation will work and what our government's reaction will not only with Wikileaks but also citizens supporting it.

Vercingetorix
12-15-2010, 07:12
Although the documents were given does not make their release any less dangerous to our national security. I realize there are docs which were embarassing, so the originators wanted to suppress. However, there are other docs that may expose vital, sensitivie information that endangers operations.

I spent ten years as a USAF officer in military intelligence (no, that is not a condridiction in terms). PArt of our training/briefings is that we could neither confirm nor deny anything asked of us concerning classified information, even if that information was made public via other channels. For instance, I worked for a specific organization within the government outside the USAF. A book was published concerning that organization. It contained a lot of classified info; had I released that info, I would have been in the deepest, darkest cell block of Leavenworth. When friends asked me about the info in the book, I just played dumb.

Confirmation or denial of sensitive information to or through the wrong person could have dire consequences. Foreign intell organizations are very good. KGB and Mossad come to mind.

TJDiver
12-15-2010, 07:22
Gotta agree with V. These people are naive at best.

Skred
12-15-2010, 12:40
I'm pretty sure that 'whistleblowing' is not the term that the US military is using to describe what Bradley Manning stands accused of.

As for Assange and Wikileaks, last I heard they backtracked on how much money they promised to the Bradley Manning defense (was 50k, they changed it to 20k) and to date have not provided a single dime even though the money was donated by Wikileaks supporters for that specific purpose. Looks like they got what they wanted from him and have now left him out to dry.

Fine upstanding citizens...they're at best guilty of horrible judgement and at worst potentially complicit in espionage.

emclean
12-16-2010, 08:10
However, there are other docs that may expose vital, sensitivie information that endangers operations.
as well as possabuly compermising where the information came from. humen intelagance is where the US is lacking, too many people think you can get it all from electronic means.

scubastud
12-16-2010, 08:15
Worked late a couple nights ago. On the way home I tuned in to the radio talk show, umm the one with the guy that's always talking bout ghosts and aliens and stuff. George Nory or something like that?

He had a guy on that says the next wiki leak will expose the cover up about Roswell and an incident where we lost Navy ship and some marines when the US sailed to Antartica to investigate Nazi secret weapons base.
Apparently the aliens like hanging out in Antartica and fired on our fleet..
LOL