PDA

View Full Version : what do you think about my wrapped knife

bigman241
12-15-2010, 19:18
Well I got my paracord today and did my first try at wrapping my knife. Turned out rather well.

The only thing I would have done different was to make the lope longer, but did not want it to long.

I will be buying a new dive knife, but will use this as a back up dive knife, fishing, hunting and general carry knife.

SO what do you think
NEver thought I would soak a knife in water but the water shrunk the paracord alot, plus the titanium ant going to rust

I was unsure of the orange not a big fan, but figured it would make for better vis should i drop it in the water.

bigman241
12-15-2010, 19:19
ohh think I will have to make or find a sheath to fit it, I think the blue tang sheath holds on to the plastic guard I had to remove due to the melted handle, no biggy though.

bfmorgan
12-15-2010, 19:21
Nice job. I have never been good at knots, and those kinds of things. It looks like a nice design and should be easy to get a good non-slip grip.

Chilly
12-15-2010, 19:22
Big,

Looks great! Orange is definitely the high-vis choice. Is there a different colored under-wrap on the tang?

TwistedSister209
12-15-2010, 19:22
Nice job!

bigman241
12-16-2010, 09:31
I wrapped it in black, just wrapping around it to cover the knife, then weaved the orange, when the water shrank it the black pulled togather and in a few spots you can see the blade ifself, looks cool, as it all give it alot of contrast, hopefully easy to see in the water
Big,

Looks great! Orange is definitely the high-vis choice. Is there a different colored under-wrap on the tang?

bigman241
12-16-2010, 09:39
I have never been good at knots, it took me three times to figure it out, the trick is to hold the cord in half and run the loop at the end and run the line ends through the loop. Then you run each end around the blade then twist them around each other once so they go back the same side they came up. then repeat on the back , takes some time but not that hard, like in the site I got the plan from said to tie a knot on each cord, HARD ENOUGH FOR ME, at the end you take alittle super glue to hold it in place.

NorthCoast Knives Tutorials: Cord Wrap Handle (http://www.northcoastknives.com/northcoast_knives_tutorials_CordWrap.htm)

Nice job. I have never been good at knots, and those kinds of things. It looks like a nice design and should be easy to get a good non-slip grip.

bigman241
12-16-2010, 09:40
what do you guys think about the loop at the end, I was unsure if it was a good idea, concerned it would be a snag point for diving, but would be great for fishing or say hunting, were it could be hung on a nail for quick access when needed

Straegen
12-16-2010, 10:33
Only thing with the loop is it might cause the knife to pull out of its sheath but I think the possibility is pretty remote.

Put a little Aquaseal if you haven't already on the knots. Will make them permanent.

cmburch
12-16-2010, 12:14
I thought you were going to do a wrap like on fishing poles. Where the line is wrapped or tied to completely cover the metal for best grip then epoxied. I do not know how they color the line or if it is already colored. Didn't someone on this board have some examples of custom wrapped knife handles? Maybe it was SpearBoard.

Noob
12-16-2010, 12:21
cool. I doubt you lose that one.

bigman241
12-16-2010, 15:28
I guess the outer cord is died before it is made, it is covered completely, I wrapped the entire handle with black line then did the weave with the orange, I was surprised, but the grip is super, it would take a good pole to come out of your hand, even when wet. I thought about the epoxy but opted out of it, due to the slip effect.
I thought you were going to do a wrap like on fishing poles. Where the line is wrapped or tied to completely cover the metal for best grip then epoxied. I do not know how they color the line or if it is already colored. Didn't someone on this board have some examples of custom wrapped knife handles? Maybe it was SpearBoard.