PDA

View Full Version : what to buy with my store credit

bigman241
12-17-2010, 18:50
Going to my lds to loose the al80s(bad alloy tanks) for 240 bucks in store credit:smiley36:
100 and some change will go for replacing my sk7 compass.
So I have another 130 or so to spend.
HE has a small store, but alot of general scuba stuff.
thinking just a bunch of stuff to start my safe a dive kit, mask, dive float for shore dives or pair of warm weather boots, not sure if he will have then up here in snowy indiana

Aquatrax
12-17-2010, 19:00
It's Christmas, consider buying something for someone else, like ME!

Chilly
12-17-2010, 19:01
Bigman,

What do you have? I'm guessing you might need some bits and pieces for your new diving location.

Jack Hammer
12-17-2010, 19:24
Biggie - First make a basic list of things you need or have a use for. Then consider buying some of those things that are closer in prices you'd have to pay elsewhere and avoid the items you can get for substantially less. For example, one of my local dive shops lists new AL80's for $275 ea (yes, that's not a typo, $275 for an AL80), obviously that wouldn't be an item to buy from them. On the other hand they have the extra large bolt snaps that I like for $13 which is only a little more than I can get them from other places. Try to think in terms of percentages - paying 50%-100% more for an item is alot while paying 25%-30% more for an item isn't too bad.

bigman241
12-17-2010, 19:49
true, I will do that right now. I had a mental list, then when looking at ST there was a big price drop and better quality, this is a scubapro, aqualung dealer so everything is higher, but not to bad for the local shops, he list new al80s at 200, ST 150-10%+20 shipping
+ 25 vis still has me lower, the thre shops in the keys I called were all over the price of st even with the shipping and new vis.

I will make a list of what I have and want/need, I know a cheap, going to cost the same anywhere item is 2 slates for the two of us.

Biggie - First make a basic list of things you need or have a use for. Then consider buying some of those things that are closer in prices you'd have to pay elsewhere and avoid the items you can get for substantially less. For example, one of my local dive shops lists new AL80's for $275 ea (yes, that's not a typo, $275 for an AL80), obviously that wouldn't be an item to buy from them. On the other hand they have the extra large bolt snaps that I like for $13 which is only a little more than I can get them from other places. Try to think in terms of percentages - paying 50%-100% more for an item is alot while paying 25%-30% more for an item isn't too bad.

bigman241
12-17-2010, 19:52
I feel you very much, I tend to think of others, so what do you want :smiley36::smiley36:

I asked dad if he wanted nitrox for xmas, he said he would rather wait and do it in florida, plus it is 50 bucks cheaper at one shop I called.

I am thinking of getting him a pair of boots should they be the right mil for florida, Though I bought him his 1800+ gear and will be buying 2 new al80s for him in feb when I buy my steels, so I do not think he will be upset if he does not get a wrapped xmas give on the 25th.
LOL

OPPPS this was for aquatex's post

Bigman,

What do you have? I'm guessing you might need some bits and pieces for your new diving location.

Chilly
12-17-2010, 19:56
No worries - you can get me something as well. :smiley2:

bigman241
12-17-2010, 20:54
lol, think I will have to wing it tomorrow, their site does not have anything really on it, mainly photo, swimming and general crap. though they have the weight for my camera, hate how pos. that dam strobe makes it. Plus a extra battery would be nice.

Vercingetorix
12-18-2010, 07:16
ST 150-10%+20 shipping + 25 vis still has me lower.

Why would there be $25 cost for visual inspection? The tanks come from ScubaToys ready to go. Mine was fully pressurized, so I dove with it a couple days later. Your LDS should sell them with a current visual inspection as well.

bigman241
12-18-2010, 07:23
my understanding, is the tanks shipped from St come with the valve out and must under go a vis since they have no air in them. Would be nice to avoid the change, in fact between the 4 tanks it would pay part of the gas to visit St, though adding the sales tax I would not pay online adds up to 100 bucks, so there went saving the vis.

I am guessing your tanks came pressurized since you went there and bought them right?
Why would there be $25 cost for visual inspection? The tanks come from ScubaToys ready to go. Mine was fully pressurized, so I dove with it a couple days later. Your LDS should sell them with a current visual inspection as well.

Vercingetorix
12-18-2010, 10:19
my understanding, is the tanks shipped from St come with the valve out and must under go a vis since they have no air in them. Would be nice to avoid the change, in fact between the 4 tanks it would pay part of the gas to visit St, though adding the sales tax I would not pay online adds up to 100 bucks, so there went saving the vis.

I'm thinking that viz inspection concerns the integrity of the tank, not the assembled valve-and-tank. I can see that an LDS would inspect the valve, too. But I do not believe that is part of the certification.

I am guessing your tanks came pressurized since you went there and bought them right?

Yes, of course. Obviously, they're not shipping pressurized tanks. :)

mikeamenti
12-18-2010, 10:30
beef up your save a dive kit....couldent tell you how many fellow divers i helped with having extra parts (o-rings, mouthpieces, fin straps, ect)

Jack Hammer
12-18-2010, 13:05
Whether or not the vis is needed is a matter of where you take the tanks to be filled. IIRC, viz 'isn't required' for a tank within the first 12 months of manufacture - good luck without a sticker getting a fill. ;) Some shops won't accept viz stickers that are from online stores, out of the area (town, state, region, etc), or from any shop other than theirs. With others none of those matter, ti all depends on where you live what is the accepted 'norm' among the LDS's in the area.

I should point out before someone gets indignant and says to just take it to another shop that not all of us live in an area with several dive shops. Sometimes your only options are to play their games, buy a compressor, or not get you tanks filled. Make sure you research what you'll fully need to know your final costs.

Vercingetorix
12-18-2010, 13:57
Jack Hammer,

I wasn't saying that a viz would not be required with new purchase of a tank. I'm just saying it should be included in the purchase price and a current viz sticker affixed to the tank at the time of sale.

Jack Hammer
12-18-2010, 14:41
Jack Hammer,

I wasn't saying that a viz would not be required with new purchase of a tank. I'm just saying it should be included in the purchase price and a current viz sticker affixed to the tank at the time of sale.

Vercingetorix - I apologize for any confusion, my post wasn't in reply to anything you or anyone else specifically said. It was based upon where I've seen these types of threads end up many times and for general information for Bigman or anyone else reading this thread to understand what can be expected in some areas so they can ask the right questions up front and minimize being surprised with additional fees.

FTR - I've purchased new tanks online. One set came with viz stickers the other didn't have them (but they offered to punch out and mail some to me). My local shops all said they were not valid and wouldn't fill my tanks without a local viz sticker from someone they 'recognized.' They also refused to awknowlege a factory O2 clean tank and said without a $50 per tank cleaning and $20 per valve cleaning fee they wouldn't fill nitrox (nobobdy banked nitrox and all the shops at the time partial pressure filled). The only local shop I'm aware of that doesn't do such nonsense is a 50mile drive each way through heavy traffic. Stuff like this is why it's important to find out what to expect from your local shops and factor that into your costs.

bigman241
12-18-2010, 15:50
well we end up gettin a few bags full of small odds, and ends. I got a good size dry box,jelly fish lotion, 1mil gloves, a water proof spegial grove card with a wreck map, some defog, slates, and a few little things.

They gave my dad 20 bucks less then what he paid for use rental used 7mil suit and end up getting a scuba pro dive skin shirt and shorts, a dive shirt and we got a few florida reef books.