PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on towing my jeep down to key largo

bigman241
12-18-2010, 21:19
Thought some of you might be able to help me with this.

Ok we are moving from sullivan indiana
(47882) to key largo fl, about 1400 miles.

Our hope is Tuesday or Wednesday is to use our 2000 dodge 1500 4x4 extended cab short bed and trailer my 2005 jeep wrangler to key largo on a 2 axle car hauler.

DO you think the truck is ok for the pull?

I know it has the v8 and auto trans, besides that I no nothing.

the other option is towing it with my 2001 gmc 1/2 4x4 long bed, extended cab, v8

flipcop
12-19-2010, 07:37
2000 Dodge Ram and the transmission is still good? Probably wont be after that but Im not a fan of Dodge. I vote for the GMC.

cyclone3565
12-19-2010, 08:20
Sell the truck and Jeep, fly down, buy a real truck

FishFood
12-19-2010, 09:52
That's a good amount of weight for that truck.... Especially at interstate speeds. Will start flopping around quite easily.

However, the Jeep + Trailer is probably within both trucks tow capacity. Personally Id choose the GM since it's longer and heavier. Be harder for the trailer to push the truck around. Also remember not to let those auto-slushies hunt for gears and overheat. Keep it out of overdrive if you have to and you should be alright.

Also, Uhaul probably won't rent you that trailer to tow a Jeep with a half ton pick up. A geo metro on the other hand.... ;)

Sell the truck and Jeep, fly down, buy a real truck

Indeed. Plenty of Ford dealerships down there...

bfmorgan
12-19-2010, 10:47
Make sure you read the manufacturers recommendations for towing on a dolly. A lot of variations in what you need to do to tow on a dolly. Good luck and enjoy your trip.......don't give up when it seems like you will never get through Georgia, it is only an illusion.

bigman241
12-19-2010, 12:51
more worried about KY then GA
Make sure you read the manufacturers recommendations for towing on a dolly. A lot of variations in what you need to do to tow on a dolly. Good luck and enjoy your trip.......don't give up when it seems like you will never get through Georgia, it is only an illusion.

bigman241
12-19-2010, 12:53
on their site, when running a quote it ask you fro the towing and towed vechicles and it said it was. Going to try it out on the highway later, we talked and plan is to use the gmc, heavier and more towing cap.

The tranny issue, is of course a concern, i thought about renting a truck. SInce there newer and unlikely to have a issue
That's a good amount of weight for that truck.... Especially at interstate speeds. Will start flopping around quite easily.

However, the Jeep + Trailer is probably within both trucks tow capacity. Personally Id choose the GM since it's longer and heavier. Be harder for the trailer to push the truck around. Also remember not to let those auto-slushies hunt for gears and overheat. Keep it out of overdrive if you have to and you should be alright.

Also, Uhaul probably won't rent you that trailer to tow a Jeep with a half ton pick up. A geo metro on the other hand.... ;)

Indeed. Plenty of Ford dealerships down there...

Splitlip
12-19-2010, 13:10
i thought about renting a truck. SInce there newer and unlikely to have a issue

If you do that, how you gonna get the other truck down? Tow it? IJS

Look into an auto transport company.

bigman241
12-19-2010, 13:44
That is also a issue, orgianl plan was one trip and I was going to fly up in feb and get the other truck down with the rest of our stuff. Still can do that, just trying to figure out the cost effective way without tearing something up. I will look into a auto transport.
If you do that, how you gonna get the other truck down? Tow it? IJS

Look into an auto transport company.

FFDiver
12-19-2010, 16:02
Look up Dodge i nthe dictionary...to avoid.

As stated in earlier posts look at manufacturers recommendations and also transport. If in doubt pick the one you think is in better shape and make sure the brakes are good. You are right about Ky and that part of the region with the mountains as it will put more stress on the drive train. When pulling hard pay close attention to the gauges and every so often pull over and just give it a little break. When you pull over just dont shut it off first, let it run for a couple of minutes to let the cooling system get rid of extra heat. The good thing is the cold weather will make it easier on the drivetrain.
Good Luck!!!

bfmorgan
12-19-2010, 16:35
more worried about KY then GA
Only a couple of really daunting inclines....I would be more worried about the down side of those inclines...it always seemed like stopping was more important than making it to the top:smiley29:

bigman241
12-19-2010, 18:20
agreed, I have done some pulling, pulled a 14 foot enclosed trailer with a jimmy up a mountain in the west. Pulled a 18 foot enclosed trailer, with a big dumb truck down to TN, but never something this size behind a half ton.
Only a couple of really daunting inclines....I would be more worried about the down side of those inclines...it always seemed like stopping was more important than making it to the top:smiley29:

TJDiver
12-20-2010, 07:10
We have hauled an 18 ft. boat from East TN down to FL with a '99 Silverado 1500 in the past with no problems. I wouldn't think something like a Jeep Wrangler would be all that tough on a 1500.

scubatrucker
12-20-2010, 10:53
We have hauled an 18 ft. boat from East TN down to FL with a '99 Silverado 1500 in the past with no problems. I wouldn't think something like a Jeep Wrangler would be all that tough on a 1500.
I agree, I think you're overthinking it. It's only a little wrangler. Check the towing specs on the p/u. Check you water temp when up the big hill on KY I 75 before the TN state line and once you get into GA it's all downhill to Largo. Also I'm not sure but I've heard if towing with an autotransmission then keep it out of overdrive. Maybe others know more on that....I tow 80,000 lbs with a 13 speed manual, not a 4 speed auto.

TJDiver
12-20-2010, 10:58
I agree, I think you're overthinking it. It's only a little wrangler. Check the towing specs on the p/u. Check you water temp when up the big hill on KY I 75 before the TN state line and once you get into GA it's all downhill to Largo. Also I'm not sure but I've heard if towing with an autotransmission then keep it out of overdrive. Maybe others know more on that....I tow 80,000 lbs with a 13 speed manual, not a 4 speed auto.

On the last two Silverado's I've had, they had a "Tow Mode" button on the end of the automatic shift lever. I'm pretty sure engaging that button basically diables the overdrive.

FishFood
12-20-2010, 15:31
Towing in O/D is fine... If it can stay in overdrive. An auto-slushy builds up heat from changing gears, and dropping in and out of O/D while towing will burn one up. Used to be, most trucks had an 'over drive' button (or even column select). However, I guess that was just too difficult so auto makers stuck in the 'tow mode'. Personally, If there was a way to manually select your gear via the column shift, I'd manual select my cruising gear and not leave it up to the 'dumb' computer to kill my transmission.

bigman241
12-20-2010, 16:39
Ya never got the tow mode, we decided to haul the bulk of stuff down on the trailer, fly back and drive the jeep down. Will need to come back in feb to get my truck, but was coming back up then anyway.

Towing in O/D is fine... If it can stay in overdrive. An auto-slushy builds up heat from changing gears, and dropping in and out of O/D while towing will burn one up. Used to be, most trucks had an 'over drive' button (or even column select). However, I guess that was just too difficult so auto makers stuck in the 'tow mode'. Personally, If there was a way to manually select your gear via the column shift, I'd manual select my cruising gear and not leave it up to the 'dumb' computer to kill my transmission.