PDA

View Full Version : Any Cheap Hobbies?

russp
12-20-2010, 08:11
It's been a while since I posted here, been spending too much time on the Smith and Wesson Forum. So now I have another bad habit, er I mean hobby, to spend money on. Three new guns, accessories and lot's of ammo and I know I've past the $1500 mark just since the end of September. Motorcycles, I hate to even think about how much I've spent there since 1979. And we all know the evils of Scuba Toys great prices, lot's of purchases. So the question is, are there any cheap hobbies out there that you really enjoy?

ScubaToys Larry
12-20-2010, 08:16
I've noticed cheaper hobbies require more sweat and work... running, basketball, etc. The more expensive ones, you ride golf carts, take boat rides, or with your gun, you just stand there.... and I'm lazy... so....

scubastud
12-20-2010, 08:36
collect rubber bands and try to beat the Guinness book record for the biggest rubber band ball.

well... ya said cheap!

TJDiver
12-20-2010, 08:39
I think Larry 'splained it best. :smiley36:

Vercingetorix
12-20-2010, 09:56
I know I've past the $1500 mark just since the end of September.

Only $1500? Meh. Piker. :) I hope you're starting reloading. Really helps when you're burining through a thousand rounds per session at the range. I've had a Dillon press for a couple decades that I've used for pistols and rifles. Still going strong.

So the question is, are there any cheap hobbies out there that you really enjoy?

Beer brewing. Initially, far less expensive than SCUBA, guns, motocycles, etc. You can add better equipment as you need it. A 5-gallon batch of beer is anywhere from $20 to about $50 (depending on number of ingredients). No preservatives and you brew beer that is not available from any store. You get to enjoy the results of your labor. And, you become very popular with friends. :) :)

russp
12-20-2010, 10:14
Haven't thought about reloading (yet), since I'm new to the gun thing, I'm still experimenting with different factory loads and types to see what works best for me in both the 38 special revolvers and the 9mm auto.

As far as beer, I pretty much stay away from alcohol, had too good of a relationship with Mr Jameson for a while.

wheelman
12-20-2010, 15:44
had too good of a relationship with Mr Jameson for a while.

LOL Gave me a shiver when I read it... You must have done something wrong in a previous life to hook horns with Mr Jameson.

Noob
12-20-2010, 15:49

Thats probably my cheapest hobby. Building jigs for fishing.

FishFood
12-20-2010, 15:54
Running is my cheapest hobby... Cycling isn't bad after start up costs. But neither is diving if you can stay away from the shiny new toys.

Fishing/Spearing was pretty cheap. Okay, it still is, but Im not interested in eating gulf seafood at the moment (thanks BP).

scubagirlj
12-20-2010, 16:24
cheap hobby, reading. library cards are free

chinacat46
12-20-2010, 16:29
But neither is diving if you can stay away from the shiny new toys.

I can stay away from the shiny new toys but I spend quite a lot on trips to go diving.

BSea
12-20-2010, 17:23
I have lots of cheap hobbies. There's scu . . . . . Hmmm . . . no that's not cheap. Well there's shooti . . . . . . . . wait that's not cheap either. I know, wood wor . . . . . . . . No not that either. Let's see. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nope, no cheap hobbies.

Actually, my mother reads everything in print form for as long as I can remember. She checks out books from the local library by the dozen. In fact the librarian told her she's number 2 all time in the library for checking out books. Number 1 is a teacher from the local university. She won't read a Kindle, or even anything on the web. She thinks the internet is nothing but junk. But she's 85, and kinda set in her ways.

Lulubelle
12-20-2010, 17:37
Hiking and reading are my cheap ones.

As for scuba, I was really good with buying only what I needed for until I figured out that the dive lodges were not for me and had to buy a little beach shack. Now that makes it an expensive hobby.

scubagirlj
12-20-2010, 17:49
sad to say i am leaning towards a reader of some sort, for convenience. i like the feel of of book but it gets too bulky toting 2-4 around all the time-what kind of readers do you all have?

bigman241
12-20-2010, 18:10
AGRREd, I started hunting, thinking ohh the cost will be off set by the meat I get, ya as of this year I am into hunting for I think 8k over the last 7 years, a muzzleloader, bow, 22 rifle, a few other guns, toys and equipment, I got one deer this year(my first0 and got 34 pounds. That comes out to 238 bucks a pound. I could eat a porterhouse steak a day for nearly 3 years on that. :smiley19::smiley19::smiley19:
I've noticed cheaper hobbies require more sweat and work... running, basketball, etc. The more expensive ones, you ride golf carts, take boat rides, or with your gun, you just stand there.... and I'm lazy... so....

bfmorgan
12-20-2010, 18:23
sad to say i am leaning towards a reader of some sort, for convenience. i like the feel of of book but it gets too bulky toting 2-4 around all the time-what kind of readers do you all have?
There are a number of good eReaders ( I work for a University and I am prepping for a pilot project). Amazon Kindle is probably number one in popularity in the $200 and below range. iPads are very versatile and can be used for posting on this forum as well as being used as an eReader.....$700 and below. The new Nook is in color. The Kindle is not. Barnes and Noble has fewer books but the reader can be used to read some of the standardized ebook formats such as ePub. Google has also announced an eBook service that is web based. Amazon Kindle has a web version also. And to make the choice even more difficult.....most of these services have versions for iPhones and Android cell phones.

The readers are convenient, but lack the feel of my trusted friend the book.

FishFood
12-20-2010, 18:36
AGRREd, I started hunting, thinking ohh the cost will be off set by the meat I get, ya as of this year I am into hunting for I think 8k over the last 7 years, a muzzleloader, bow, 22 rifle, a few other guns, toys and equipment, I got one deer this year(my first0 and got 34 pounds. That comes out to 238 bucks a pound. I could eat a porterhouse steak a day for nearly 3 years on that. :smiley19::smiley19::smiley19:

Never, EVER, add up the money spent on ANY hobby. :smiley5:

russp
12-20-2010, 20:23
LOL Gave me a shiver when I read it... You must have done something wrong in a previous life to hook horns with Mr Jameson.

Not really. I had a good friend working the Clay Walker tour years back for which I was providing the sound and lighting gear. He knew I liked Jameson so made a bottle part of Clay's catering rider and would bring me a bottle (or two) a week. Since it was there, I was doing a pretty good job of keeping up with the supply. Now I just grab the occaisional beer or very occaisional Jack Daniels when I'm out. Funny how much more I remember now.

russp
12-20-2010, 20:23

Isn't that how we men keep score?

bigman241
12-20-2010, 20:34
you know your right, our scuba "hobby" dwarfed that in less then a year, I think we are just over that now, given the 2 steel 130 double set, 2 al80s, new compass, 2 knifes, a few odds and end for the ocean, and we will be way over it, still within a year of diving, I think after the tanks and everything, we should be done buying for a good while, well till I go bp/w and doubles, ohh and a pony or to, dam does it ever stop. ERRR Your right DON"T COUNT

bigman241
12-20-2010, 20:35
I thought keeping score went by, how good looking your woman is, how much you make, how good looking you are, and if your dive bag says scubatoys or the "goodwill dive bag" LOL

Glub000
12-20-2010, 21:00
Scuba, guns, motorcycles, boats, hunting and fishing are relatively inexpensive hobbies compaired to the number one wallet drain..... women. :smiley5:

Smashee
12-20-2010, 21:01

Only if you feel that you need to prove something or compensate for the lack of something else. :-)

Edit: As for cheap hobbies, anything that exercises the muscle between the ears is good. Learn another language, study something you've always wanted to know more about or pick up a new skill.

Splitlip
12-20-2010, 21:09
Nope.

They're all "five grand". Scuba, Surf, Golf, Skydiving, Model Trains, Hunting, bikes, motorcycles, fishing, skiing, shooting, wind surfing, kite boarding, flying. "Five Grand".

bigman241
12-20-2010, 21:25
amazing, how something simple, fun and easy is so costly, like simple fishing, do you think Andy Griffith ever expected to buy a 800 rod and reel, or a 20 lure?
Nope.

They're all "five grand". Scuba, Surf, Golf, Skydiving, Model Trains, Hunting, bikes, motorcycles, fishing, skiing, shooting, wind surfing, kite boarding, flying. "Five Grand".

russp
12-21-2010, 09:26
Nope.

I haven't hit $5000 yet on guns or scuba but I'd have to put another zero on there just to cover the new motorcycle purchases, forget the used bikes, accessories and maintenance.

Hmmm...I wonder if I'd enjoy butterfly collecting?

mcr0112
12-21-2010, 09:55
Reading is my relative cheap hobby as I moved to a kindle so I wouln;'t be carrying 6 or 7 books on a trip. There are lots of free or cheap books on Kindle as well as the $$$ ones. I also walk in thw woods on the farm. that doesn't cost except for time and rubber shoe soles. I take photos with a digital camera and share them on the net w/ family / friends. Scuba, motorcycles, and Grandkids are my expensive hobbies.

BSea
12-21-2010, 10:20

Startup

Educational Science Kits - Monarch Rearing and Breeding Kits Product Description (http://educationalscience.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=6478&step=4&merchantid=4&repid=0&passwordstatus=passed) $699

http://educationalscience.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=6638&step=4&merchantid=4&repid=0&passwordstatus=passed (http://educationalscience.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=6638&step=4&merchantid=4&repid=0&passwordstatus=passed) $399

Supplies

Educational Science Kits - Monarch Rearing and Breeding Kits Product Description (http://educationalscience.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=16614&step=4&merchantid=4&repid=0&passwordstatus=passed) $48.95

Educational Science Kits - Monarch Rearing and Breeding Kits Product Description (http://educationalscience.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=3473&step=4&merchantid=4&repid=0&passwordstatus=passed) $75

And you still haven't bought a net.:smiley5:

Straegen
12-21-2010, 11:47
Hiking is relatively cheap but a person can get up there in cost. Online gaming is very cheap per hour played and many (myself included) find it to be a lot of fun. Volunteering at a pet shelter is another good one. Those would probably be my cheaper three behind my more expensive hobbies past and present including motorcycles, car audio, reef tank and fishing.

scubagirlj
12-21-2010, 12:29
Nope.

you forgot riding but you'd have to add another zero

Noob
12-21-2010, 12:33
I haven't hit $5000 yet on guns

Sounds like you need more guns. LOL

Rileybri
12-21-2010, 13:11
FROLF is relatively inexpensive to get into as you really only need two discs, a driver and a putter. and only requires a marginal ability to throw a disc and the ability to walk. A bag to carry your beer is optional.

navyhmc
12-21-2010, 13:14
FROLF is relatively inexpensive to get into as you really only need two discs, a driver and a putter. and only requires a marginal ability to throw a disc and the ability to walk. A bag to carry your beer is optional.

I guess I've seen the zealots of frizbee golf around here then....some of them have literal duffle bags to carry their disks-one guy had to have at least 10... I won't go into the steps they'll take to retrieve a disk that ends up in the river.

Rileybri
12-21-2010, 13:20
Oh I carry about 10 with me as well. But is cuz I loose lots of them and I need to take up space in my bag so the beer does not shift around as much..... lol at about 10-20 per disc its is still a cheep hobby! my putter is a floater so I dont have dive for it. I do make bank in the summer diving the ponds on the courses to retrieve lost discs. our basic code of conduct dictates that if there is a name and number on the disc that a call to the owner is in order.