PDA

View Full Version : Mask inside hood?

BSea
09-13-2007, 14:01
Has anyone ever placed their mask on under their hood like in this picture (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OMSUltraBrightHeadLamp)? I don't think I ever recall seeing anyone do this. It seems to me that you would get more cold mater under the hood this way, and probably more air in the hood from mask clearing. And you would have to take the hood off to get the mask off. This wouldn't be a problem with the hyperstretch hoods, but I can see it bein a problem with traditional neoprene hoods.

On the plus side, I can see where it would be very hard to lose a mask this way.

mwhities
09-13-2007, 14:14
I wear my mask under my hood. It isn't much different. I wear a Henderson Gold Core 3mm hood and I have no issues at all.

Michael

BSea
09-13-2007, 14:17
I think I'll try that this weekend. Just to see if I like it or notice anything different.

skdvr
09-13-2007, 16:27
I tried it once becuase someone told me that it makes it harder to loose the mask (which you already pointed out) and when you are coming back up from a deep dive and you are in the shallows and you start getting to warm you can just slip the hood off and do not have to worry about your mask.

I just did it that one time and I did not like it. It just felt odd to me so I did not continue with it.

Let us know what you think about it...

Phil

finflippers
09-13-2007, 16:34
My mask goes on under my hood. If I put my mask on over my hood it leaks.

BSea
09-13-2007, 16:53
I tried it once becuase someone told me that it makes it harder to loose the mask (which you already pointed out) and when you are coming back up from a deep dive and you are in the shallows and you start getting to warm you can just slip the hood off and do not have to worry about your mask.

I just did it that one time and I did not like it. It just felt odd to me so I did not continue with it.

PhilEven though I have my mask on the outside, I still take off my hood when I get to the warm water. But I take my mask off to do it, then put it back on.

mm_dm
09-13-2007, 16:56
Many hard-core deep wreck divers wear their mask under the hood. They don't want a strong current ripping it off or have a fellow diver kick it off. If I'm with a class I have it off and on so much that I wear it over a hood. If I'm diving with friends and know it'll stay on for awhile I'll pull the hood over the mask, just in case.

skdvr
09-13-2007, 17:03

PhilEven though I have my mask on the outside, I still take off my hood when I get to the warm water. But I take my mask off to do it, then put it back on.

I do the same if the water is warm. That was just one benifit that they told me to get me to try it. I do not have a problem taking my mask off. It would be nice to have it on under the hood in the event that someone did kick me, which has happened but so far I have been lucky and not lost my mask.

Phil

Aussie
09-13-2007, 17:33
My mask goes on under my hood. If I put my mask on over my hood it leaks.

Same here.

How are you able to get a good seal when its over your hood??????

Aussie

CompuDude
09-13-2007, 17:52
Many hard-core deep wreck divers wear their mask under the hood. They don't want a strong current ripping it off or have a fellow diver kick it off. If I'm with a class I have it off and on so much that I wear it over a hood. If I'm diving with friends and know it'll stay on for awhile I'll pull the hood over the mask, just in case.

I know a bunch of local shore divers who swear by that method as well. Our surf zones can be pretty intense and masks are a frequent casualty. I've offered more than one up Poseidon myself.

I can't stand the thought of wearing my hood over the mask, though. Just too bizarre for me.

medicdiver
09-13-2007, 18:56
My wife used to have a problem with her mask coming off until we were told to try it under the hood instead. No problem since.

Bill22
09-13-2007, 21:15
I will have to try this this weekend.... just to see what I think :-) Actually I remember doing a turn around in Blue Springs where my mask was inadvertently kicked by my buddy and flooded. Wouldn't have been a good thing to have lost it. The more I think about it the more it sounds like a good idea. I've heard plenty of pro's... any con's?

sudnit5
09-14-2007, 12:53
I never thought about putting the mask inside of the hood until I read this. I will be giving it a shot

mm_dm
09-14-2007, 13:01

I know a bunch of local shore divers who swear by that method as well. Our surf zones can be pretty intense and masks are a frequent casualty. I've offered more than one up Poseidon myself.

I can't stand the thought of wearing my hood over the mask, though. Just too bizarre for me.

I was on a river dive once and got into a chute area of the river where the current was more stout. For some reason I looked up and, thanks to quick reflexes, caught my mask as it was about to clear my forehead. I can't even count how many times I've been kicked in low viz dives. But, you're right, it always feels weird with the hood over the strap.

rubberduck
09-14-2007, 13:05
I have never tried it either but will give it a shot this weekend

kingfish
09-16-2007, 06:21
Isnt the face seal compromised by the straps on the sides?
Wouldnt it let more water in?
If the blokes in the know are doing it it must not be an issue.

Jas.

chinacat46
09-16-2007, 08:16
I've worn my mask both ways but these days prefer to wear it over the hood for no particular reason but my own.

dludwig
09-16-2007, 08:48
I'm not a big fan of wearing a hood (usually means COLD water :smiley21:) but I wear it over my mask.

Capt Hook
09-16-2007, 11:54
Always wear mine over my hood, never had a problem with leaks.
did have it kicked off once by an overly energetic 12 yr. old!

mdwestgrl
09-16-2007, 17:53
Wear mine in my hood, less chance for leaks for me and I just prefer it that way :smiley2:

scubasavvy
09-16-2007, 18:00
I normally wear my mask on the outside of my hood just because it's easier to adjust if something's up with it. Keeping the mask on the inside of the hood would prevent losing it. There are ups and downs to everything I guess...just a matter of preference...

shanenurse
09-16-2007, 18:47
I know this is going to sound stupid, but indulge a newbie... How so you get the hood on over the mask? or do you put the hood on, but pull if off the top of your head to put the mask on? does this not stretch the hood allout of shape? have only worn a hood once (diving in the springs in florida)
thanks

Bill22
09-17-2007, 00:30
I know this is going to sound stupid, but indulge a newbie... How so you get the hood on over the mask? or do you put the hood on, but pull if off the top of your head to put the mask on? does this not stretch the hood allout of shape? have only worn a hood once (diving in the springs in florida)
thanks

Put on the hood first and push/pull the top back so basically your head is sticking out through the opening for your face. Then put on your mask. Then pull the top of the hood up and over the strap and position as you normally would.

You don't have to worry about stretching the hood out of shape. They're designed to stretch.

I've got roughly 75-80 yards to wade over rocks and cross a sand bar and then some more wading depending on tides, before I get back to the stairs leading up to street level from the water. Then I have to walk about half a block to our staging area.

I typically push my hood back and put my mask around my neck when I'm wading out of the water at the end of a dive. No way am I going to wear my hood in the summer and I don't have an extra hand to carry it, so I just push it back so my head isn't covered and I'm a little cooler. It's fine :-)

JCAT
09-17-2007, 05:30
The same for me as Bill22 stated.

I usually wear a shorty over my full wetsuit and I sandwich the bottom of my hood between the two.

Since I dive a fresh water lake right at 1000' elevation much of the time, I'll leave the hood behind my head until I hit the first thermocline. (This is during the summer months. If its winter, I sometimes wear hood for boat ride as well.)

I then just reach back and pull it over my head.

BSea
09-17-2007, 08:26
Ok, I tried the mask inside this weekend. It did let in a little water, but not so much that I was uncomfortable. I should point out that I have a neoprene strap with nylon adjustment straps, and it sticks out more than a standard mask strap, so that may have had something to do with it.

I didn't see any real advantage to having the mask under vrs over, and it was not more or less comfortable. My conclusion is there is little difference.

mdwestgrl
09-17-2007, 08:31
Same for me as Bill22, it will not stretch out your hood to pull it up over your mask strap onto your head. I always put my hood on then push the part on my head off until I am ready to dive. I hate hoods as it is so try to wait until the last minute to pull it onto my head. I think most people do it this way and nobody has ever stretched them out that I know of. Give it a try and let us know what you think.

sudnit5
09-17-2007, 09:14
I have a neoprene strap on my mask and so far so good with putting it inside of my mask.

Bill22
09-18-2007, 17:05
I typically push my hood back and put my mask around my neck when I'm wading out of the water at the end of a dive. No way am I going to wear my hood in the summer and I don't have an extra hand to carry it, so I just push it back so my head isn't covered and I'm a little cooler. It's fine :-)

I should have added like in my avatar picture ;-) I don't know how well you can see it but I've just come out of the water and my hood and mask are pushed down around my neck. Click on my photo's and you can see a bigger picture.

To many jellyfish for me to dive without a hood even in the summer :-)

RECDiver
09-18-2007, 22:19
I always wear my mask under my hood.

hughes8049
04-15-2009, 09:08
My strap lives inside my hood as well. Another advanatge I didn't see mentioned is that you don't have to adjust your mask with/without your hood. I use a strap w/ a buckle system like ST sells, and I haven't adjusted my strap in over two years. I also like the idea of not losing/chasing my mask if it takes a good kick.

Beefcake
04-15-2009, 10:05
Wow, I learned something new today! My hood often causes my mask to leak; never thought of wearing the mask under. I'm going to go try it in the shower.:bath:

hughes8049
04-15-2009, 10:14
Now I have this image in my head.... Cartman in the shower with a mask and hood. Oh, and one of those rubber ducky floats around his waist.:smilie39:

scubadiver888
04-15-2009, 11:29
Okay, this thread was started 1.5 years ago but I'm actually glad it was revived. I have been wearing my mask over my hood. If hugh8049 hadn't revived this thread I wouldn't have thought to try it under my hood.

The discussion about how to get the hood on with the mask underneath also seems to be problematic for me. The face opening on my hood is just big enough to allow for my mask and reg. I wonder if it will be tight around my neck if I pull the hood down around my neck.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm a little nervous about trying it in case I cut off the blood flow or air. I remember reading about some guy who got stuck in a hooded vest and almost passed out.

Beefcake
04-15-2009, 11:30
Now I have this image in my head.... Cartman in the shower with a mask and hood. Oh, and one of those rubber ducky floats around his waist.:smilie39:
Hey! You will respect my authoritae!

I'm not fat; my mom says I'm just big-boned.

Screw you guys. I'm going home!

Yeah, I want some cheesy poofs!:smilie40:

fisheater
04-15-2009, 11:44
I tried mask under hood, but the inflow of 46F water was too much for me. At least it forced me to practice mask removal and replacement at depth. Of course pulling my hood back was NOT fun at that temp.

CompuDude
04-15-2009, 13:11
I agree, FE.

Mask under hood advantages:

Will not lose mask if kicked or tumbled by surf, impact from entry, etc.
Since the hood is put on after the mask, there is less likely to be issues with the mask skirt allowing water to leak in if a skirt edge is lifted by sitting on top of the hood. The hood, when pulled over the mask, will naturally fit properly over the mask skirt.
Mask is always over a bare head, so there is no need to adjust for hood/no hood... if you often need to do this. Personally, I pretty much always have a hood on, except for rare travel.

Mask under hood disadvantages:

Cannot adjust size once in place
Allows a LOT of water to enter inside the hood, at the temples where the straps enter the hood. The "seal" around the face is broken. May not be an issue in warm water, but it can be a problem in cold water. Also less of an issue with silicon straps than neoprene straps.
Some hoods have a face opening that is smaller than others, and may not work well with this method. Also, some are more or less stretchy than others, to the same effect.
Can be uncomfortable if the size is tight.
Won't work as well with all mask straps, particularly larger neoprene straps with easy-adjust buckles on the sides.
If the mask IS dislodged from a strong impact of some sort, it can be considerably more difficult to get it back into place... and meanwhile, the straps will be mashing a water-filled mask against your face.

Personally, while I acknowledge there is more risk of loss and you have to be a little more careful when donning to clear the skirt, I go with the mask over the hood method. I'm comfortable without a mask, however, and carry a spare in my drysuit pocket at all times.

Splitlip
04-15-2009, 20:16
Mask over hood.

As per CD's post. (except I am not bald.:))
<<<<<<<<<<<