PDA

View Full Version : So how are military personnel reacting to DADT repeal?

Vercingetorix
12-21-2010, 15:45
"You're gay? OK. Get back to work"

As one soldier in the article says, "[As long as a soldier] knows how to shoot and shoot well. Iím just worried about skill set. I donít care; come on in. Thatís one more person putting rounds downrange.Ē

Reactions to DADT repeal mixed among servicemembers - Stripes - Independent U.S. military news from Iraq, Afghanistan and bases worldwide (http://www.stripes.com/reactions-to-dadt-repeal-mixed-among-servicemembers-1.129295)

It appears our soldiers are far smarter than the "hand-wringers" and have more important matters to deal with than whether some guy or gal is gay.

:smiley32::smiley32::smiley32::smiley32::smiley32: :smiley32:

Davetowz
12-21-2010, 16:34
As one, in a leadership position, I don't care. I have had some outstanding Soldiers that I assumed went that way. Really, get with the program, who cares. As long as they are not asking me....Most Gays I have known are not the proverbial pervert as depicted often. I do not agree or condone the acts they prefer, but when it comes to work, who cares, get 'r done.

tacofranklin
12-21-2010, 16:41
I dont care if gays serve with me, as long as they perform the mission, maintain their discipline, and maintain their military bearing. We need all the soldiers/airmen/marines/sailors we can take to keep our numbers up. Sucks that we have to compete with congress to keep servicemen/women, when the military gets cutbacks and we have to hire civilians that get paid more to do something an E-1 does.

Davetowz
12-21-2010, 16:45
I am for a ban on more contractors, almost to the point of the death star now.

Diver Kat
12-21-2010, 16:46
"129295]It appears our soldiers are far smarter than the "hand-wringers" and have more important matters to deal with than whether some guy or gal is gay.

Yup!:smiley20:

Vercingetorix
12-21-2010, 17:34
I spent ten years as a blue-suiter. All I wanted my people to do was Get The Mission Done and treat each other with courtesy and respect. They didn't have to like each other, but I expected them to respect each other.

bigman241
12-21-2010, 18:08
My opinion matters to me as much as the folks doing the arguing about DADT, and such. The only opinions that mater to me are the ones of the military leadership, and the fighting men and woman out there. THERE FIGHTING AND DIEING FOR US, they have to leave and fight with one another, so their the only ones I think should have a say on this. Gay, bi, or straight not sure what makes the diff when your fighting a war, barrel goes down range, see enemy, fire at enemy, kill enemy, blow up bunker as not to draw in more enemies. I see nothing in there that says a gay man or woman can not do the job, I do understand the worry about the risk of issues when it comes to be law.

Wonder how this will play out for the gay doctor who signed up to join to get all 8 years of college paid for, only to come out as gay to avoid servicing. I was told that the news said if they repelled DADT she would be make to serve or go to jail/

bigman241
12-21-2010, 18:11
No they canned the death star, I guess the contractor bidded 5 billions but wanted 10 billion because the first 5 billion went to find people, who could watch star wars enough to figure out how to build it, if they had another 10 billion.

I heard their giving the 10 billion for the project to locate the stargate and steal goa'uld technoligy and find the asgaurd LMAO. yes I am a scifi nut
I am for a ban on more contractors, almost to the point of the death star now.

tacofranklin
12-21-2010, 20:04
Wonder how this will play out for the gay doctor who signed up to join to get all 8 years of college paid for, only to come out as gay to avoid servicing. I was told that the news said if they repelled DADT she would be make to serve or go to jail/
I do not know what the outcome of this would be, but in my opinion, they should be offered to come back in, if not, they should have their discharge changed from "general" to Honorable"...unless they played the system to avoid the call to duty.

FishFood
12-21-2010, 21:34
Put simply, DADT worked... well. DADT was removed as a political stunt. For that, I resent it.

Only time will tell. It will be a challenge properly implementing the changes, and I hope the leadership in charge does so wisely. What I am worried about is affirmative action style policies and some gay service members wanting MORE rights and MORE protection than their straight counter parts. I foresee a massive amount of sexual harassment cases. Some legit, but many just because someone got their feelings hurts. I have no direct issues working along side homosexual military members, but I can easily see problems in the future that will hurt the mission.

Also, I will say that while the news, polls, and internet chat rooms point towards the feeling that most troops seemingly have no issue with DADT being repealed, the 'talk around the water cooler' says other wise. Which source is closer to the truth?

BRsnow
12-21-2010, 21:50
Put simply, DADT worked... well. DADT was removed as a political stunt. For that, I resent it.

Only time will tell. It will be a challenge properly implementing the changes, and I hope the leadership in charge does so wisely. What I am worried about is affirmative action style policies and some gay service members wanting MORE rights and MORE protection than their straight counter parts. I foresee a massive amount of sexual harassment cases. Some legit, but many just because someone got their feelings hurts. I have no direct issues working along side homosexual military members, but I can easily see problems in the future that will hurt the mission.

Also, I will say that while the news, polls, and internet chat rooms point towards the feeling that most troops seemingly have no issue with DADT being repealed, the 'talk around the water cooler' says other wise. Which source is closer to the truth?

The water cooler is like the beauty parlor. I don't see allowing a person to fight for their country as affirmative action at all, it is basically the opposite. There is no quota or the military will not start to take gays over straights, they will take all that are qualified. No affirmative action at all, just like letting women vote, not affirmative action, just a right they should have. I believe soldiers fight for the USA to promote freedom and the foundation our country was built on, this only brings that ideal closer to the truth. BR

Splitlip
12-21-2010, 21:59
AFAIK gays have been serving in the US Military for about 230 years.

I have a story.

11 or 12years ago or so when there was one of these controversies, I was attending my monthly Rotary Club meeting. I told the membership about my little girl, who was about 6 at the time, walking her Pomeranian. A bad ass Rot got loose from his elderly master and went for my dog. Now this Rot had caused serious injury to a Schnauzer earlier and was on double secret probation with County Animal Control.

In any event, my little girl picked up the Pom and was twirling around trying to keep her dog from the Rot. She was around the corner walking to my folks house, so I did not see it.

Well the long and the short of it is, a gay couple driving past saw this. They stopped. One of the guys grabbed the Rot while the other hustled my kid and dog into the car and brought them home.

One of the folks at Rotary said "good thing you did not have a son". Sheesh.

One of the guys was a USMC non com who served during the Korean conflict.

FishFood
12-21-2010, 21:59
The water cooler is like the beauty parlor. I don't see allowing a person to fight for their country as affirmative action at all, it is basically the opposite. There is no quota or the military will not start to take gays over straights, they will take all that are qualified. No affirmative action at all, just like letting women vote, not affirmative action, just a right they should have. I believe soldiers fight for the USA to promote freedom and the foundation our country was built on, this only brings that ideal closer to the truth. BR

No, there is no 'quota' for enlisting - But there are a myriad of affirmative action style policies within the military.

bennerman
12-21-2010, 22:37
So how long until this is moved into the Hot Topics forum?

navyhmc
12-22-2010, 00:09
My take on the whole issue: I couldn't give a rat's patootie what your orientation is. And quite frankly, I don't want to know. I don't want to be hit on by any of my fellow service members in an unwelcome way. In short, keep it to your self! if you feel the need to be different in you orientation, fine - just don't parade it around like some freaking badge of courage. I don't flaunt my heteroseuxality around so please do the same. Simply put: Do your damm job and leave your personal life on shore/at home/on the beach/off base/out of the AOR, etc.

davepoff
12-22-2010, 02:59
Only time will tell! They are trying to bring about their promises that they made to get elected to later say that they kept their word.

emclean
12-22-2010, 07:18
it will be interesting to see how it will affect IET. that is about the only place left with open bays, and no privacy.

What I am worried about is affirmative action style policies
in the service, no way, that would never happen....:smiley2:

awap
12-22-2010, 09:32
It should all be good until they get to the buddy roll training. And, if it is cold enough, that should be OK too.

Vercingetorix
12-22-2010, 11:30
I truly believe that most folks will not out themselves. There remains a social stigma to being gay. If I person wants to advance in their military career, especially as an officer, then one's gay lifestyle will not be discussed. If a person announces that he/she is gay, there will no longer be overt repercussions, such as automatic discharge. Rather, there are covert, hard-to-prove consequences, such as not getting a promotion, not being selected to attend PME in residence, not getting the choice assignments/PCS. Nothing you can put a finger, nothing you can prove that being gay was the cause, but the consequences of leading the open gay lifestyle will still exist.

There used to be a stigma about being a female in the military. You could have a career or a husband/family, but not both. If the female got married or pregnant, instant discharge. During my USAF career, I ran into light colonels and full bulls who believed that "women do not belong in my Air Force". My former wife suffered from this discrimination many times. For instance, as a brown bar, she was about to attend a classified briefing. Some dumbass colonel stopped her at the door, and told her she could not go in. My wife had the same security clearance, rank, and need-to-know as other officers in the room. "The reason," the dumbass explained, "is because we may be using some rough, unladylike language, and I don't want you subjected to that." My wife lived with me, and I learned to swear from 36 years as a Navy brat. I could use language that would have melted that jackass.

In another instance, she was selected to go to Squadron Officer School in residence; this is quite an honor and difficult to obtain. He dumbass colonel denied her that option, and instead sent some incompetent and despised brown bar in her place, because "she was essential." That's why we officers depend on our senior NCOs, so that we're not indispensible. If we die, the guy/gal with the most stripes wins.

Davetowz
12-22-2010, 18:32
As in anything in life, there will still be some repercussions. In time this will all fade away. It will take time to really figure out what changes need to occur and what changes must occur. There will be stories, good and bad. I say, as a professional Soldier with 22 yrs, Fk 'm get over it. A good Soldier will not cease to be a good Soldier based upon there preference of relationship no more than gender or religion or color affects the same. Get with it, times change and we either change with them or become early relics...

Vercingetorix
12-22-2010, 21:04
As in anything in life, there will still be some repercussions. In time this will all fade away. It will take time to really figure out what changes need to occur and what changes must occur. There will be stories, good and bad. I say, as a professional Soldier with 22 yrs, Fk 'm get over it. A good Soldier will not cease to be a good Soldier based upon there preference of relationship no more than gender or religion or color affects the same. Get with it, times change and we either change with them or become early relics...

Amen!! and THIS!!!!

snagel
12-23-2010, 08:41
I'm not military, but father was in the military (30 years) and wife was in the Army.....

The posts confirm my thoughts.....once again our leadership in this country does not have a clue. They have spent time on this subject and worried about it...who really cares. It sounds like our soldiers don't. In my opinion, this country has way more important things to be worried about than who is gay in the military. I think it is sad that we have to make an issue out of this. To each their own. I'm not gay, but do know people that are gay. Those that I know, don't really make an issue out of it, but many others do. They focus on things that are important (like being a soldier if they are one) not the fact that they are gay.

I'm pretty sure that blood is red and the same for everybody regardless of sexual orientation. Those that lose blood for this country are HERO's; REGARDLESS of lifestyle.

Snagel

alpha
12-23-2010, 13:41

Agree...
DADT---DADT---DADT---I'm not in the military...But it really would not matter as I do not want to know what anyone does in their private bedroom.
If DADT is repealed for all, does this now mean it is ok for a man to tell a women at work that they like to have intercourse with women "Mary your new to our workgroup and I think you will make a great addition and I want you to know that I enjoy intercourse with women" , is it ok for a woman to run up to a man at work and say "Hey, I really like to have intercourse with men" ?...I hope the preceeding examples are ok if it is now ok for a guy to walk up to me and say he likes to have intercourse with men while I'm at work.
DADT has been in existence in the workplace for decades for all sexes and all preferences....to give any GROUP the RIGHT to brag about their bedroom experiences/sexual orientation is pure stupidity...keep DADT for all people of all sexual orientation and keep it out of all workplaces...