PDA

View Full Version : What Gift Were You Most Happy To Give?

Vercingetorix
12-25-2010, 06:40
'Tis the season for giving. What present did you give to somebody that you were really proud of or happy to give and why? Perhaps it was a total surprise to the lucky recipient?

TwistedSister209
12-25-2010, 06:47
My daughter will be getting a Kitchen Aid mixer she's wanted, and in her color!

We cut back to our kids this year, but one of the neatest things my husband did that was so unexpected was to give the 2 kids who delivered, set up & hauled away the old ones, generous tips. They were so surprised and it made our evening.

navyhmc
12-25-2010, 07:02
I got my son the stars wars toys he was wanting but couldn't find n any of the local stores...little did he know I bought them in May and had hidden them until last night.

PlatypusMan
12-25-2010, 08:39
I've given financial support where I know that 100% of what I've given has gone to the recipient intended--anonymously to them, and to myself. IMO, the best charity is that where neither you nor the recipient have any knowledge of one another--making it truly a gift.

Davetowz
12-25-2010, 08:44
Sea monkeys for my oldest daughter! and a build it up and drop marbles in it thingy for the younger daughter.

scubatrucker
12-25-2010, 10:50
In our family we decided a couple of years ago the adults draw names for each other then we all buy for the kids. It makes it easier on us who can't afford a lot. Since Christmas is all about the little kids it's fun watching my 3 and 5 y/o nieces all excited to open their new Barbies playsets I gave them. I drew my brother's name so I know he liked the flashlight and knife I ordered from Piranha Dive Mfg. I almost kept them for myself

Aquatrax
12-25-2010, 11:29
I've given financial support where I know that 100% of what I've given has gone to the recipient intended--anonymously to them, and to myself. IMO, the best charity is that where neither you nor the recipient have any knowledge of one another--making it truly a gift.

An act of true charity must be anonymous. Bravo Platy, Bravo

alpha
12-25-2010, 15:05
An act of true charity must be anonymous. Bravo Platy, Bravo

Agree:::Bravo the idea of giving.

Disagree That:::charity must be anonymous...

Too old and don't trust people like I once did...Especially anonymous offers from TV, Mail, and phone solititations that may very well be going to Al-Qaeda, etc. etc.etc. I don't want to pay people to kill me...
I like to know who if possible or at least what group receives the gift before giving.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/charity

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/charity

alpha
12-25-2010, 15:21
I was most happy to give::: The Gifts to my children and watching their reactions of pleasure...

Aquatrax
12-25-2010, 15:28
I was speaking more of the anonymous giving to the less fortunate but if I see someone in Al Qaeda attacking us with the Xbox I donated, I'll be the first to apologize. In the sense of giving money to a "Charitable" organization, by all means, do the research but if you claim it as a deduction on you taxes or accept recognition, IMO, while it is an act of charity, it is not a pure act of charity.

Perhaps I was unclear with my post.

Merry Christmas

alpha
12-25-2010, 15:41
Just wanted all to be prudent & wise with their giving...A lot of scams are active over the holidays...

Merry christmas...

fab50diver
12-25-2010, 16:08
No Miss America answer here...I LOVED giving my DH and favorite dive buddy a new wetsuit and snorkel!

Lulubelle
12-25-2010, 16:34
I gave the new Blue Planet blu ray discs to both of my brother's families. It is fun to see the kids as awestruck by the Ocean's bounty as I am.

PACKRMAN
12-25-2010, 16:39
I made a saddle rack for the youngest to match her other gear.

She loved it!

scubadiver888
12-25-2010, 18:08
I gave away homemade gingerbread cookies. Here are old pictures of the cookies:
I like to make them really spicy with cloves, pepper, cinnamon and ginger.

navyhmc
12-25-2010, 18:28
I give anonymously to charities all the time for several reasons:

1. As Aquatrax said: An act of true charity must be anonymous.

2. It keeps me off their mailing list. One of my pet peeves is when I donate to a charity and then I start getting Telemarket drivien donation calls for that chairty startingthe next month. Sure way to make me stop giving to a group. But that belongs in the what pissed you off thread....

jet126
12-25-2010, 20:26
I gave lots of books! Books of snowflake photos to my SoFL friends, Barnes & Noble gift cards, a very rare book on Ecuador (only 100 ever printed) to Tall Guy. And to VideoDude, my regular dive buddy, a book of photos taken at our favorite dive site: Blue Heron Bridge. Everyone loved their books! Made me very happy indeed.

Gonnagettanked
12-28-2010, 10:01
Both my grown kids are also in our "adult grab" so they were shocked when we gave our daughter a new dressage saddle and our son a bobhouse(tent) for his ice fishing addiction! It never gets old watching your kids faces light up!

tacofranklin
12-28-2010, 10:09
Sea monkeys for my oldest daughter! and a build it up and drop marbles in it thingy for the younger daughter.

Sea Monkeys are awesome.

I got my daughter a rocking horse, which looks like a snail and is all plush. She loves it.

scubajane
12-28-2010, 16:33
we gave our 4 y/o niece a magic wand. she went around the room blessing everyone :)

mm2002
12-28-2010, 17:01
I gave away homemade gingerbread cookies. Here are old pictures of the cookies:
I like to make them really spicy with cloves, pepper, cinnamon and ginger.

Wow! That's a work of art. Very nice!!! Looks nothing like the ones my kids do...:smiley36:

http://forum.scubatoys.com/attachments/surface-interval-34/8566d1293322527t-what-gift-were-you-most-happy-give-snowflake.jpg