PDA

View Full Version : What Are Your New Year Resolutions?

Vercingetorix
12-28-2010, 17:29
What are your New Year, non-diving-related, resolutions? Which of your 2010 resolutions did you keep?

FishFood
12-28-2010, 17:47
Gain 10lbs
Smoke More
Drink More

I've given up unrealistic resolutions.

TwistedSister209
12-28-2010, 18:21
Read more, write more, exercise more.

In 2010, I didn't really have goals beyond improving my health and attitude. Yep, I needed an attitude adjustment.

tacofranklin
12-28-2010, 18:24
Loose a lil weight, dive dive dive, and.....(shrug) dive.

bennerman
12-28-2010, 20:40
lose 100 lbs, not end up in the psych ward 4 times, and learn to play the bass

tacofranklin
12-28-2010, 22:11

I play bass, bass rules

tacofranklin
12-28-2010, 22:12

wait, we are talking about playing bass Guitar...not playing the fish....if so, you should be in a psych ward

Davetowz
12-28-2010, 22:29
Resolutions? I don't need no stinking resolutions. besides, I never do em anyway.
Fish Food had it on the money but missed: Spend more time at work.

bennerman
12-28-2010, 22:49
I play bass, bass rules

Yep. I am getting one for my birthday, I may also take vocal lessons. Everyone says I have a great voice, but I don't hear it. However, all of my speech impediments disappear when I sing, just like Ozzy :P

snagel
12-29-2010, 06:50
I don't make New Years Resolutions anymore....just seemed to rigid and I never kept them anyway. I do tend to try and use the New Years as a Fresh Start on things. I tend to psych myself out in thinking, "Okay, I'll try and do better this year".

Bass Guitar: Back in High School, I was in several bands and played bass. I was just looking at my yearbook the other day and I was suppose to be moving to Florida and be in a heavy metal band after high school. Maybe I've always been destined to be near the water. Haven't played in years. I blew up my amp about 10 years ago and haven't sent it in to be repaired. Maybe, I'll do that this year and get back into it (with this economy, might need something to fall back on).

Snagel

scubastud
12-29-2010, 09:25
be more like my father.

chinacat46
12-29-2010, 09:57
I made a resolution a number of years ago not to make resolutions and I've kept it.

TJDiver
12-29-2010, 10:19
I made a resolution a number of years ago not to make resolutions and I've kept it.

Yep...that was the last one I made...and, probably the only one I've ever really kept.

divingmedic
12-29-2010, 11:31
Never make those things, that way you can not break them.

alpha
12-29-2010, 11:38
2010 was an off year for my aerobic condition...2011 exercise more & go on more trips than in 2010 & drop the 10 lbs added in 2010...

bennerman
12-29-2010, 12:25
does the resolution have to start new years? because I have lost a pound :P

inventor
12-29-2010, 12:35
I will become a licensed pilot, and I will file patents this year.

TJDiver
12-29-2010, 12:47
I will become a licensed pilot, and I will file patents this year.

Hey inventor...do you know what kind of costs are involved in obtaining patents? I've had a couple folks insist that I should apply for a patent on something, and I had another fellow tell me the cost of obtaining a patent was cost prohibitive for most people...to the tune of several thousand $$. This true?

Sorry for the hijack.

inventor
12-29-2010, 13:24
That and the 'Post Office Patent' are two pervasive myths. First, get 'Patent It Yourself' from Nolo press, second, buy PatentEase software. The more work you do on your own patent, the less you pay a patent attourney. Check local colleges for their Department of Technology Transfer, contact your local Small Business administration, and chapter of SCORE, the Service Corps of Retired Executives. Locally, I lucked out with a division of Lockheed-Martin that works technology transfer for their scientists.

You'll want to go online and look for things similar to your patent. Check the Patent and Trademark Office, and IBM Patent search websites. It's a little difficult figuring out the classification system, to find your category of invention. You'll want to do that, and maybe get a cheap prior art search done, before investing heavily. If they find something close, our your very own idea already patented, don't be discouraged, just change it or improve on the previous work.

Oh, and you said several people have told you you should file patents. The first thing the Lockheed folks told me was,"Shut The F*** Up!". Telling your idea to someone without restriction (no non-disclosure document), is equivalent to putting it on a billboard. And that means some nations will not grant your patent. I could type all day on this subject. I posted to encourage anyone else thinking of filing patents. Everyone has at least one good invention in them. Fell free to PM me for any other questions, I've been at this for years, and I'm full of it. Advice I mean.

However, the Patent Office mmay deny your patent on the grounds that, you sir, are worse than Hitler eating a kitten.:smiley36::smiley31:

bennerman
12-29-2010, 14:49
That and the 'Post Office Patent' are two pervasive myths. First, get 'Patent It Yourself' from Nolo press, second, buy PatentEase software. The more work you do on your own patent, the less you pay a patent attourney. Check local colleges for their Department of Technology Transfer, contact your local Small Business administration, and chapter of SCORE, the Service Corps of Retired Executives. Locally, I lucked out with a division of Lockheed-Martin that works technology transfer for their scientists.

You'll want to go online and look for things similar to your patent. Check the Patent and Trademark Office, and IBM Patent search websites. It's a little difficult figuring out the classification system, to find your category of invention. You'll want to do that, and maybe get a cheap prior art search done, before investing heavily. If they find something close, our your very own idea already patented, don't be discouraged, just change it or improve on the previous work.

Oh, and you said several people have told you you should file patents. The first thing the Lockheed folks told me was,"Shut The F*** Up!". Telling your idea to someone without restriction (no non-disclosure document), is equivalent to putting it on a billboard. And that means some nations will not grant your patent. I could type all day on this subject. I posted to encourage anyone else thinking of filing patents. Everyone has at least one good invention in them. Fell free to PM me for any other questions, I've been at this for years, and I'm full of it. Advice I mean.

However, the Patent Office mmay deny your patent on the grounds that, you sir, are worse than Hitler eating a kitten.:smiley36::smiley31:

I was also told to put your idea in a letter and mail it to yourself, it'll be dated when it is processed, and when it arrives to you again, just leave it. If the worst case scenario happens and your idea was stolen, you can atleast use it as some evidence

inventor
12-29-2010, 14:58
I was also told to put your idea in a letter and mail it to yourself, it'll be dated when it is processed, and when it arrives to you again, just leave it. If the worst case scenario happens and your idea was stolen, you can atleast use it as some evidence

Nope, pure bulls***. the 'Post Office patent' has never held up in court. The US patent office has a thing called the 'Disclosure Document' program. They hold a copy of your document for two years, and then destroy it, unless it is referred to in a patent. And everyone you speak to about it, should sign a Non-Disclosure document. An agreement not to use or profit from your idea.

divingmedic
12-29-2010, 15:06
does the resolution have to start new years? because I have lost a pound :P

I smoked a pound in one week back in the 70's.

scubagirlj
12-29-2010, 15:40
:smilie39::smiley32::smilie39::smiley32::smilie39: :smiley32:

bennerman
12-29-2010, 16:00
oh, I need to get a goth trenchcoat this year, too :P

Getting better is obviously in my itinerary, too. but that fits in with the psych ward thing :P

bennerman
12-29-2010, 16:02

oh ha ha, very funny

Diver Kat
12-29-2010, 16:32
I'm with China .... NO RESERVATIONS! ..... oh wait, that would be Anthony Bourdain :smiley36:

NO RESOLUTIONS!! :smiley20:

On 2nd thought, my 2011 resolution is to still be around in 2012 to be able to say "NO RESOLUTIONS!!":smiley2:

mm2002
12-30-2010, 05:31
My first resolution is to quit dating everything 2010 before the end of January. Usually I don't get it down until mid March. Secondly, I'm going to start studying the Mayan calendar. If 2012 is really "IT" then I gotta a lot of stuff I need to get done. If not, I'll continue procrastinating as usual.

navyhmc
12-30-2010, 05:50
I also resolve not to resolve.

Vercingetorix
12-30-2010, 08:25
I resolve not to desolve.

Lulubelle
12-30-2010, 09:26
Going to try not to see the insides of any hospitals this year when not in the conduct of my work.

Davetowz
12-30-2010, 23:50
mm- if 2012 is really it, I will feel like an ass for paying my taxes. I should have traveled more. But If that is it, it is what it is! and if it is by flooding.... I wanna dive the DC metro before I go!

Aquatrax
12-31-2010, 05:24
I resolve to be more resolute about my resolutions

mm2002
12-31-2010, 05:46
mm- if 2012 is really it, I will feel like an ass for paying my taxes. I should have traveled more. But If that is it, it is what it is! and if it is by flooding.... I wanna dive the DC metro before I go!

If it's going to be by flood again, screw an ark and animals.....I'm building a giant submarine. You're all invited. I'll need two of every type of diver. Any takers?

bennerman
12-31-2010, 15:42

hey, my 2010 calender ends today, it must mean that that is the end of the world, and just because mine has sexy ladies on it doesn't make it any less valid ._.

mzbdiver
01-01-2011, 03:06
If it's going to be by flood again, screw an ark and animals.....I'm building a giant submarine. You're all invited. I'll need two of every type of diver. Any takers?

ERRONEOUS!!!!!! We're divers, setup a few hookah systems and we can weather the flood :D

Lulubelle
01-01-2011, 11:10
I'm going to add my second resolution. Going to get off of the man wagon. The 10 foot concrete wall around my heart has been there for a year and a half and needs to come down. Sometime this year, when the right sort comes along, I'm going to say yes. To a date that is. Had occasion to think about this a couple of days ago. Life is too short to let one person ruin the rest of it.

inventor
01-01-2011, 17:38
I'm going to add my second resolution. Going to get off of the man wagon. The 10 foot concrete wall around my heart has been there for a year and a half and needs to come down. Sometime this year, when the right sort comes along, I'm going to say yes. To a date that is. Had occasion to think about this a couple of days ago. Life is too short to let one person ruin the rest of it.

Damnit! Somebody mail me GreyHound ticket!

Aquatrax
01-01-2011, 17:44

:smiley20:

KO-Texas
01-01-2011, 17:59
2012= Graduate UTA, Masters Scuba Certification, & get a real job so I can dive exotic locations! Those will be the ones I'll keep...

others..?.. :smiley2:

KO

alpha
01-01-2011, 19:31

...And I thought that avatar was your transportation...:smiley2:

Lulubelle
01-01-2011, 19:40

Didn't say I was getting off of THAT wagon inventor unless your trip was just for my charming company. :smiley2:

Bert
01-01-2011, 19:45
New Year Now Job I hope New citit I hope( posible job lead in atlanta ga)

bennerman
01-01-2011, 20:00
Didn't say I was getting off of THAT wagon inventor unless your trip was just for my charming company. :smiley2:

I might make a good wing-woman :P

Lulubelle
01-01-2011, 20:01
I might make a good wing-woman :P

Yeah, but wouldn't we be looking for the same cute young thing? I guess my young is 30ish and yours half that though. You're on then.

bennerman
01-01-2011, 20:04
Yeah, but wouldn't we be looking for the same cute young thing? I guess my young is 30ish and yours half that though. Your on then.

if you find a 16 year old whilst bar crawling, I am going to be wanting to find out who made such an awesome fake ID first and foremost ;P

Lulubelle
01-01-2011, 22:32
if you find a 16 year old whilst bar crawling, I am going to be wanting to find out who made such an awesome fake ID first and foremost ;P

Who mentioned BARS. Terrible places to meet people. I'm thinking while diving.

bennerman
01-01-2011, 23:25
Who mentioned BARS. Terrible places to meet people. I'm thinking while diving.

alright, then find a 16 year old with a pink wetsuit for me :P

mzbdiver
01-01-2011, 23:31

Be careful what you wish for... any girl diving at 16 if a something to be terrified of.

bennerman
01-01-2011, 23:32
Be careful what you wish for... any girl diving at 16 if a something to be terrified of.

...can someone clue this guy in for me? I explain it so much I am done saying it with pride now :p

Lulubelle
01-01-2011, 23:39

Oh no, Bennerman, completely color coordinated divers are way too high maintenance. But perhaps we can find one with a rainbow patch on the BC?

bennerman
01-01-2011, 23:48
Oh no, Bennerman, completely color coordinated divers are way too high maintenance. But perhaps we can find one with a rainbow patch on the BC?

Based on the people I dive with, I would probably get laughed off the boat if I wore that :p

That, and most of the people I know my age who are that way aren't out enough to sport anything rainbow. Only 5 people in my school know: my lifelong friend, and my girls ;D

Davetowz
01-02-2011, 00:04
uh... yep! my oldest daughter (11) has now reached the age that I told her she must hit to get underwater.... she also shoots archery competitively and thinks that recycling old electronics involves a shotgun. Taco knows her...he knows. These are words of wisdom...beware the female. ( esp. if she dives before 16!)

inventor
01-02-2011, 00:35
Of course, m'Lady! 'Cause it sure ain't to watch WVU beat anybody in the Carolinas.

scubagirlj
01-02-2011, 09:49
8592i hope this guy decides to quit drinking....LOL

he3r0
01-02-2011, 10:50
ATM it is 1024x600
but I'm moving next week (no more being homeless YAY!) so it will go higher ;]
also I'm going to find me A Job.. (ATM I'll take anything)