PDA

View Full Version : Interesting night......Attention Teenagers!

mm2002
12-30-2010, 05:49
I was running freeze protection on the farm night before last, and I caught a glimpse of a huge explosion in the distance, then I saw billowing flames. On 1300 acres, it's hard to tell if something is close or not, but I decided to go check it out. A car had lost control around a corner, ran through our fence, and broke a 40 ft power pole (main power lines) and was cooking hard. I called 911, and after giving all the graphic details, the operator asked if there was anyone in the car, and if she needed to send an ambulance. :smiley29: I said, maam, if there's anyone in there I'm pretty sure an ambulance isn't going to do them much good. The first to arrive was one of the city police. I walked over to speak with him, and he asked me if there was anyone in the car. I looked at the car, back at him.....and in my most sarcastic voice said, I dunno, want me to run and see??? Anyway, people amaze me. The good news is that it was a 19 yr old girl and she's ok. (out running around in desolate farm roads at 1:30 in the morning alone?) Her story is she lost it in the corner, spun around and crashed into the pole, and was knocked unconscious. When she woke up she saw flames, escaped the vehicle, and took off running down the road. She was in severe shock when they found her, and bleeding profusely from the head, yet her only complaint was that her knee hurt. I'm glad she was OK, and I hope she learned a huge lesson that morning. I shot some pics with my phone.

scubagirlj
12-30-2010, 05:51
at least it was something to break up the monotony

TwistedSister209
12-30-2010, 06:18
Glad only the car was destroyed--other than your fence.

snagel
12-30-2010, 07:41
Thanks MM, just what I needed. My son just got his drivers license several weeks ago. My stomach has been in knots ever since. The first day he drove solo to school I was literally shaking waiting for him to text me telling me he made it. I guess this is my payback and now I really see what my mom and dad went through. I know exactly what time it is all the time when he is gone and when he should be home and not, the stomach acids start flowing. Now, he wants to spend New Years at his girlfriends house. His mother has told him he needs to be home at 1am. I know I need to let him do his thing, but a new driver on the roads at 1am on "amateur drunk night". Top it off, I've been invited on a New Years Dive at Mermet, but probably not going to be home...just in case.

Back to your story.....it's always odd what people say in an emergency. I'm sure you fought tooth and nail not to let too much of the sarcasm come out. Always good when somebody walks away from something like that.

Snagel

PepeDiver
12-30-2010, 07:57
Operator: Is there anyone in the car?
You: Nope....car was on autopilot!

navyhmc
12-30-2010, 09:33
I've had a few of those that didn't have quite the happy ending - Very glad a tragedy was missed!

FishFood
12-30-2010, 11:35
Should this thread be titled 'Attention Female Drivers'?

Glad she was alright. Good lesson for her, albeit not a cheap one.

mm2002
12-30-2010, 19:58
Thanks MM, just what I needed. My son just got his drivers license several weeks ago. My stomach has been in knots ever since. The first day he drove solo to school I was literally shaking waiting for him to text me telling me he made it. I guess this is my payback and now I really see what my mom and dad went through. I know exactly what time it is all the time when he is gone and when he should be home and not, the stomach acids start flowing. Now, he wants to spend New Years at his girlfriends house. His mother has told him he needs to be home at 1am. I know I need to let him do his thing, but a new driver on the roads at 1am on "amateur drunk night". Top it off, I've been invited on a New Years Dive at Mermet, but probably not going to be home...just in case.

Back to your story.....it's always odd what people say in an emergency. I'm sure you fought tooth and nail not to let too much of the sarcasm come out. Always good when somebody walks away from something like that.

Snagel

Glad my story gave you some insight brother. I'm using it with Elizabeth, and it really hit home with her. The bottom line is that this "little girl" is damn lucky to be alive to tell the story of what happened. I called to do a follow up today and found that she admitted that she had been in a fight with her boyfriend earlier that night and was out "blowing off steam". 19 years old, pissed off (probably about something ridiculously stupid in our eyes) and damn near cost her her life. After knowing all the facts, I'm not sure how to feel, but if I'd thought for one second that there would have been an innocent young teens body cooking to a crisp inside that little car........I just don't know.

Lulubelle
12-30-2010, 20:07
Should this thread be titled 'Attention Female Drivers'?

Glad she was alright. Good lesson for her, albeit not a cheap one.

Umm Fishfood, young males are far more likely to bite it in a car than a young female. That's why their insurance rates are so much higher.

This gal probably needs to have her licensed revoked until such time as she realizes that cars are weapons and that they can kill.l

SlvrDragon50
12-30-2010, 22:40
Was this in FL or some place where the roads could have frozen over?

I was in an accident a couple years ago and luckily I manage to stay conscious. However, the smell of smoke (no fire though) was enough to scare the crap out of me. That girl is incredibly lucky.

mm2002
12-31-2010, 05:40
Was this in FL or some place where the roads could have frozen over?

I was in an accident a couple years ago and luckily I manage to stay conscious. However, the smell of smoke (no fire though) was enough to scare the crap out of me. That girl is incredibly lucky.

Yes, this is Florida, no road ice. I will have to explain this road though. There's a stretch of approx 3/8 mile that's straight, flat, newly paved, and there's no street lights. At this end of the road it turns into a long sweeping LH turn, and from there, it's 2 miles of nonstop curve action through orange groves. Kids drag race on it all the time, and motorcyclists love it. This ISN'T the first car or motorcycle that's ended up in our grove, it's just the first one that took out a power pole and caught on fire.

Vercingetorix
12-31-2010, 06:15
This gal probably needs to have her licensed revoked until such time as she realizes that cars are weapons and that they can kill.l

Nah. Sh*t happens. I'm glad she survived to tell the tale.

baywatch106
12-31-2010, 09:32
You need to keep a digital camera on you at all times.

SlvrDragon50
12-31-2010, 11:54
Oh dear. That sounds like the road outside my neighborhood. Except... the power pole has been hit so many times that they finally put a light at the corner.

Although, we've never had a car fire.

mzbdiver
01-01-2011, 03:14
That's why their insurance rates are so much higher.

You can say that again, but as a young male, might I put my two cents in?
People just don't know how to react to situation when they begin to lose control of a car.

Driver's Ed should have a portion where you have to pull a car out of a slide on a skip pad or something, I honestly believe that by having something like that (like a defensive techniques course) would help.

Oh, but girls and guys are equally as bad drivers (no offense)

mm2002
01-01-2011, 05:14
You need to keep a digital camera on you at all times.

Funny thing is I nearly always do. Just happened to not pack it that night. Wish I had.

scubagirlj
01-01-2011, 06:21
Funny thing is I nearly always do. Just happened to not pack it that night. Wish I had.
baywatch doesn't know you vey well, do they, mark?

Vercingetorix
01-01-2011, 07:44
Oh, but girls and guys are equally as bad drivers (no offense)

Statistics and the insurance companies would argue otherwise. Young males cost more to insure.

mm2002
01-01-2011, 21:20
baywatch doesn't know you vey well, do they, mark?

Actually, yes, Steve and I have been diving together, and he knows I'm not usually without some sort of event recording device. :smiley36:

baywatch106
01-01-2011, 21:29
What I really meant was a high megapixil camera so you can have better resolution pictures.

navyhmc
01-01-2011, 21:42

I don't know Lulu, that seems a little harsh. I do agree that cars can be weapons, but I have a feeling she learned a valuable lesson that night. Don't know for sure, just saying. Now....Had she been drinking, then I'm all for instant, immediate and prolonged removal of driving privledges!