PDA

View Full Version : short notice VIP company-help!

scubagirlj
12-30-2010, 12:26
just found out that my former supervisor, dispatcher & shop foreman(and SOs) are coming for drinks & "nibblies" saturday-suprise!glad they gave me 48 hrs notice! these people are major foodies so my usual goto fruit&cheese plate won't fly-am going to be diving all morning & won't get home until probably 3pm-need something i can put together tomorrow night & reheat, i'm blanking! need 2 different food offerings(no dietary restrictions that i know of)-help, please!

FishFood
12-30-2010, 12:37
What about something from the deli of a grocery store? Ive seen pretty good appetizer and full meal 'fixins' from the Publix deli. Either serve cold or reheat in the oven if need be.

Vercingetorix
12-30-2010, 12:42
Do you have a quiche plate? Quiche can be made tonight with simple ingredients and served at room temperature tomorrow.

jans
12-30-2010, 12:49
Central Market is my "emergency" go to.

scubagirlj
12-30-2010, 13:57
wondering if hogfish ceviche, homemade guac & posole would suffice?(looks like it mexican night! ole!)-hope the cilantro isn't recalled around here-guess i'll do negra modelo & margaritas made with fresh squeezed juices, agave nectar, grand mar & 1800 plata-better get to work on my stock...

tacofranklin
12-30-2010, 15:34
What about something from the deli of a grocery store? Ive seen pretty good appetizer and full meal 'fixins' from the Publix deli. Either serve cold or reheat in the oven if need be.

Good call, Publix for the win!

Straegen
12-30-2010, 16:07
That is pretty foodie... I was going to suggest Flakowitz which is good but not particularly foodie good. Might be worth a stop to fill out the menu a little.

Tassie Diver
12-30-2010, 16:55
Serve strong alcohol early. Food won't matter as much then!

scubagirlj
12-30-2010, 17:27
they only have 2 hrs & then are flying-didn't want too heavy of a meal-they are kentuckian hardboots, maybe unlimited makers & forget the food!

Largo
12-30-2010, 20:14
Brown a pound of hamburger, and a pound of pork sausage. Drop it into a crock-pot with a block of Velveta and a can of Rotel. Serve with corn chips.

Ouch! My chest! Why is my left arm numb?

But seriously...

How about servining local goodies?

Order a bunch of Cuban sandwiches from the local place. Maybe a batch of Paella? Serve with some shrimp cocktail, and some Mojitos?

Maybe some kind of local ice cream for dessert?

Splitlip
12-30-2010, 23:32
Cubans ordered up from someplace are always a good idea. Nice call Largo. (get the pressed ones.) "local dish"

Get a couple pounds of cooked pealed shrimp with tails on. Drop 'em in a pot of boiling water just to crunch them up. Drain and chill quickly. (they always seem to be slightly under cooked.) Make cocktail sauce from ketchup, horseradish, re hydrated onion flakes, worcestershire and a dash of Old Bay. Plate it up to look home made.

"Designer" crackers with canned (or bagged) salmon and a stick of cream cheese with 7 of those spreader knives. Drain a jar of capers and sprinkle over the cream cheese and salmon.

Add alcohol.

I would also add a small fruit and cheese plate from Publix.

Davetowz
12-31-2010, 00:42
They are from Kentucky? White Castles, wings, and cold beer. Done. if all else fails, get a bucket of chicken from the colonel! Thems fancy eatins up this way.

scubajane
12-31-2010, 12:35
treat them to down home things! rice krispie treats. lil smokies and simple punch OJ, pineapple juice and gingerale

scubagirlj
12-31-2010, 17:22
well, they are going to be on their own for a bit with only drinks & fresh made snack mix-i'm going diving on the 1:30 boat & won't get home until 7-supervisor knows where the keys are & they can start without me-maybe i'll have them rinse my gear while i'm setting out the rest of the food-LOL

Tassie Diver
12-31-2010, 18:55
well, they are going to be on their own for a bit with only drinks & fresh made snack mix-i'm going diving on the 1:30 boat & won't get home until 7-supervisor knows where the keys are & they can start without me-maybe i'll have them rinse my gear while i'm setting out the rest of the food-LOL

Excellent prioritisation (if that's not a real word - it should be)!

Straegen
01-01-2011, 11:47
Kentucky actually has a fairly large "uppercrust" group often tied into the horse racing culture.

scubagirlj
01-01-2011, 13:21
Kentucky actually has a fairly large "uppercrust" group often tied into the horse racing culture.

and with diving cancelled, thats who's coming for dinner...well, not exactly dinner

Davetowz
01-02-2011, 01:11
How did the dinner go? What was the final menu? the response to the menu? gotta know....

scubagirlj
01-02-2011, 06:46
had a lovely hogfish ceviche, chicken based posole & makings for tableside guac-unfortunately with the last minute changes in plans(im diving, no im not diving)they did not come by-dinner anyone?...exsupervisor & SO are stopping by on their way back(tomorrow)to see the place so can use same dishes for them(if there's any left)

Vercingetorix
01-02-2011, 07:52
They didn't come by? Friggin' rude!!!! Seriously, after the prep you went to.

When these people show-up, hand them a box of Ritz crackers and a can of Cheez Whiz

scubagirlj
01-02-2011, 10:14
They didn't come by? Friggin' rude!!!! Seriously, after the prep you went to.

When these people show-up, hand them a box of Ritz crackers and a can of Cheez Whiz
am used to getting stood up, especially in SOFL

Lulubelle
01-02-2011, 10:18
am used to getting stood up, especially in SOFL

But these people were from KENTUCKY J!

Though I won't argue about the good manners of the people of SOFL. I just spent a week watching the general population there and became mighty thankful that I live in a place where people don't steal chairs out from underneath 75 year olds. You should have seen the dressing down that that man got in front of his children which arguably made me as bad as he was. And I'm happy that I live in a place where it really is OK to go out with a guy who drives a Ford. And where people don't sit in front of signs which say "no cell phone use" and talk loudly on theirs oblivious to the irritation they are causing others.

I don't know how the goodly well raised people of SOFL take the rest of them.

scubagirlj
01-02-2011, 10:45
i find that there is a general decay of basic good manners these days.

Lulubelle
01-02-2011, 10:49
i find that there is a general decay of basic good manners these days.

Perhaps. But it is far better here. We weren't even in a tourist area.