PDA

View Full Version : hello from sunny warm(not hot) key largo FL

bigman241
12-30-2010, 11:35
I"M BACK :smiley36:

Well after riding in a car from 8 am wensday to 8 pm thursday, and yes I mean in a car for the entire time, we sleep for about 6 hours in the truck :smiley5::smiley5::smiley5:, we pulled into our new drive way in key largo and it finally set in I was going to be living walking distance from the beach. :smiley20:

After a long night sleep we rolled down to marathon to a beach we went to last march, and did some snorkeling. When we stepped in I got why everyone said we would want a thick wet suit, as the water was ****ING COLD, Now I know what you guys mean about this not being shore diving, after a 200to300 foot walk through ankle and knee deep water we got in some water about 6 foot deep. It was not a good day, bad vis, cold water, and nothing to see, after 30 or 40 minutes and my hands with one 1mil glove and the other bare(forgot to put on one glove) :smilie39: we headed back, dad went around a reef ledge and I went up on it and around the other way, figuring any life would be by the ledge, which was 3 to 4 foot deep and going out of the water, I saw a nice size lobster(who will be in a pot) next week when I get my license, then a school of about 500 med size fish swam around me and off down the beach.

Down at pennekamp I found a fish charter, and the guy told me for 400 bucks a day he would take the 3 of us out fishing, diving, hooka diving(he has the gear) and what ever we want, he said he would even take us to the spegial grove or any of the local wreck, he is also a divemaster so safety is not a concern there. Given the shop I asked about going to the spegial wants 90 a diver for the dive, we can do the dive, do some fishing, then end the day with a shallow reef dive for about another 220 bucks.

Though we will be doing a few reef dives before heading over to the spegial.

Though not being around for a week, I was surpised someone had not posted wondering if I had floated out to cuba, or over to texas. :smiley36:

Noob
12-30-2010, 11:41
sounds like your having a good time. I bet your not missing the ice and snow. LOL

Vercingetorix
12-30-2010, 11:48
Glad you made it safely.

scubatrucker
12-30-2010, 11:51
Do you need a Kato?

FFDiver
12-30-2010, 11:52
Hope the future keeps being bright!!! Wish I was close to diving instead of close to a quarry...

flipcop
12-30-2010, 14:12
Glad u made it Big. I didnt realize the water was that cold. Thought it would be about 70 this time of year. Should I bring a drysuit when I come?

TJDiver
12-30-2010, 15:05
Gotta say it, big...although I love my beloved East TN, I'm kinda jealous right now. There's always been a part of me that wanted to live down there. Enjoy!

Straegen
12-30-2010, 15:10
You are coming from Indiana and you think Fl Key water is cold? I can dive in a skin comfortably most of the year and never needed more than a 3mm in SE Florida. A 5mm is nice for some of the springs but even those I wouldn't classify as cold. Is it unseasonably cold right right now? What are the temps?

Also if you head up north a bit, Kevin at Underwater Explorer rents his boat out cheap in the winter. I think $250-$300 and he will dive with you showing the best stuff. It is only half day, but he may cut you a full day rate that is comparable and you get one of the better diving boats with one of the better DMs in Florida. Just tell him you are coming from SB.

Splitlip
12-30-2010, 17:43
It's the old tea and toast thing. (or the cup of tea vs the pot of tea)

The shallow waters close to the islands react much more quickly to changes in air temps. Deeper water it would be different.

Ocean temps in Jupiter are low 70's right now. My hot tub on the other hand is 55 degrees. I don't have the heater on.

Splitlip
12-30-2010, 17:49
But congrats Tim.

I love the Upper Keys, but my friends and family are mostly in the lower keys. I had a cousin on Tavernier, but she relocated to Central Florida for her husband's job. Another cousin was a commercial fisherman and had a fish house on Marathon, Middle Keys. He sold the business to try his hand at ranching somewhere near Ocala.

Still, I might swing in someday to help you sea trial your boat. :)

scubagirlj
12-30-2010, 18:13
It's the old tea and toast thing. (or the cup of tea vs the pot of tea)

The shallow waters close to the islands react much more quickly to changes in air temps. Deeper water it would be different.

Ocean temps in Jupiter are low 70's right now. My hot tub on the other hand is 55 degrees. I don't have the heater on.
mine is at 105-nice for the chilly nights we had past few weeks

bigman241
12-30-2010, 18:37
I was ok with the water, in fact if it was not for a bad wheel bearing, I would be going back tomorrow for said lobster. The temps I am hearing in the ocean on the reefs, and on the wrecks is in the 70s. splitlip any time you want to dive let me know, looking for a local buddy

SlvrDragon50
12-30-2010, 22:44
Yup. Much colder than most people think. Although honestly, the problem is when you're on the boat, not in the water.

big: Hit up Jupiter sometime. It's not too far and the dives there are GREAT. Lots of sharks! I'd say the dives are pretty advanced but mostly in the sense that you need to watch your depth.

bigman241
12-31-2010, 08:04
DAd is still trying, he plans on getting mom on a fish charter and letting it be "her" idea to sell the house in sullivan and buy a boat. They seem to be a dime a dozen down here. I have noticed 3 things on each corner, a scuba shop, boat yard and a bar LOL
But congrats Tim.

I love the Upper Keys, but my friends and family are mostly in the lower keys. I had a cousin on Tavernier, but she relocated to Central Florida for her husband's job. Another cousin was a commercial fisherman and had a fish house on Marathon, Middle Keys. He sold the business to try his hand at ranching somewhere near Ocala.

Still, I might swing in someday to help you sea trial your boat. :)

Splitlip
12-31-2010, 11:40
I have noticed 3 things on each corner, a scuba shop, boat yard and a bar LOL

It's pretty hard to step out on US1 and NOT see a dive shop, boat yard, fish house, lobster pots or a bar.

bigman241
12-31-2010, 13:29
now if we can get a dive boat with a fish house and lobster pots off the side, with an after dive bar, that would be the ticket.
It's pretty hard to step out on US1 and NOT see a dive shop, boat yard, fish house, lobster pots or a bar.

snagel
01-01-2011, 08:25
Okay Big, maybe I missed a few posts here and there.....what the heck got into you? What led you to make the decision to pick up and move down to Florida? Really, I would like to know. These thoughts run through my mind almost every day....sell everything and move to some paradise somewhere where I can enjoy life. Problem, I'm not ready to retire (atleast the pocket book can't afford this right now).

Would love to hear your thoughts and how you did this.

Snagel

bigman241
01-01-2011, 14:23
lol, DAD WANTED TO MOVE, THAT WAS ABOUT IT, more an extended vacation. Given the piss poor economy where we were. My hope is the opportunities down here will be better.

I am a college student, so finshing online or find a school down here will not be hard, given the 600 a month heating bill on our house up there, we will save alot on heating bills. Mom and dad are semi retired, so it was easy for them. I have a few things in my head to make some money down here. From flipping houses, buying repo storage units, to becoming an instructor and starting a dive op. LOL not like there is alot of call down here for that!!! LOL
Okay Big, maybe I missed a few posts here and there.....what the heck got into you? What led you to make the decision to pick up and move down to Florida? Really, I would like to know. These thoughts run through my mind almost every day....sell everything and move to some paradise somewhere where I can enjoy life. Problem, I'm not ready to retire (atleast the pocket book can't afford this right now).

Would love to hear your thoughts and how you did this.

Snagel

bigman241
01-01-2011, 14:25
ohh when I was snorkeling on a beach at pennycamp looking at a man made ship wreck, I forgot all about lifes troubles. SO a priceless experience I am sure it will be

alpha
01-01-2011, 19:51
Congratulations...Remember it's warmer in the water at the gulf stream vs. shallow bay/shallow reefs during the winter.

Sounds like fun...diving-Food on the table and roof over the head- & studying vs. working.

Straegen
01-01-2011, 23:29
Why did you stop in Florida and not keep on trucking to the USVI? If I were semi-retired, I would probably be on an island somewhere.

jans
01-02-2011, 11:23
Getting that Jeep over water would have been a whole new thread.

bigman241
01-02-2011, 18:57
yeap, fun fun fun. hoping to do a dive in a week or so
Congratulations...Remember it's warmer in the water at the gulf stream vs. shallow bay/shallow reefs during the winter.

Sounds like fun...diving-Food on the table and roof over the head- & studying vs. working.