PDA

View Full Version : Mid Holiday Gifting

Straegen
12-31-2010, 11:52
I have in my possession the book "Reef Invertebrates" by Calfo and Fenner signed by the men themselves back in 06. I collected this fine book in mint condition when I was still doing reef keeping and aquariums as a hobby. My wife and I are cleaning house so this one made the chopping block.

Rather than sell it, I have decided to give it away in the spirit on the forums of late. To collect this book, I ask that anyone interested post a personal picture that you took or story of a great encounter with an invert that you experienced. Keep it short around a paragraph or so. If you post a picture, you will not need to include a story unless you want to. It must be YOUR picture or YOUR story.

Each valid post that counts as an entry will be eligible and the winner will be randomly selected a week from now. I have a handful of random dive related gifts for runners up as well. Shipping costs on all items will be paid for so these are truly gifts.

Post away! Happy holidays and a good new year for us all, Cameron.

http://www.reefkeeper.com/Product_Images/Big/reef_invertebrates_cl.jpg

P.S. The book is aquarium focused but has a lot of identification, excellent pictures and heaps of information on how inverts survive and thrive. It is a very good book for divers interested in knowing more about inverts, their habits and survival.

Panmanmatt
12-31-2010, 14:34
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g178/panmanmatt/37%20gallon/purplerhodactis010.jpg

scubagirlj
12-31-2010, 15:54
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g178/panmanmatt/37%20gallon/purplerhodactis010.jpg
show off

Straegen
01-01-2011, 10:45
That is a VERY nice pic. We have our first entry:

Panmanmatt

Lulubelle
01-01-2011, 10:57
I have chosen not to shoot underwater so that the meditative aspects of diving remain for me.

I spent a week in Little Cayman last summer. My regular DB was one who had to be babysat. She was not allowed to dive the last two dives of the day due to some of her antics. So I had a chance to buddy with my friend who was one of the trip leaders for the last night dive.

We all jumped and followed the DM for just a couple of minutes. I was pretty irritated at a number of "vertical" divers whose fins kept crashing down on our heads while they were trying to keep up with the DM. I signaled to my DB and asked if she wanted to go off on our own and she did. It was a bit slow at first, a few lobsters, a turtle, some decorator crabs, feeding bloodworms to the coral. For some reason, I turned over and pointed my light towards the surface. I saw what I thought was a huge school of baitfish. Eh, so what. But the eyes were sort of translucent and the bodies had a light pinkish color. I got closer and realized that it was a school of THOUSANDS of tiny pink squid up from the deep for a nighttime visit to the shallows. I signaled my DB, we cut our lights, watched them, played with them, got them to follow our lights, cut them again, etc. For twenty minutes. Best night dive ever. Unfortunately, when we signaled to some others, they came over, cut their big ass light canons on and the squid left.

Aquatrax
01-01-2011, 16:58
I have chosen not to shoot underwater so that the meditative aspects of diving remain for me.

I spent a week in Little Cayman last summer. My regular DB was one who had to be babysat. She was not allowed to dive the last two dives of the day due to some of her antics. So I had a chance to buddy with my friend who was one of the trip leaders for the last night dive.

We all jumped and followed the DM for just a couple of minutes. I was pretty irritated at a number of "vertical" divers whose fins kept crashing down on our heads while they were trying to keep up with the DM. I signaled to my DB and asked if she wanted to go off on our own and she did. It was a bit slow at first, a few lobsters, a turtle, some decorator crabs, feeding bloodworms to the coral. For some reason, I turned over and pointed my light towards the surface. I saw what I thought was a huge school of baitfish. Eh, so what. But the eyes were sort of translucent and the bodies had a light pinkish color. I got closer and realized that it was a school of THOUSANDS of tiny pink squid up from the deep for a nighttime visit to the shallows. I signaled my DB, we cut our lights, watched them, played with them, got them to follow our lights, cut them again, etc. For twenty minutes. Best night dive ever. Unfortunately, when we signaled to some others, they came over, cut their big ass light canons on and the squid left.

thousands of tiny squid coming out of the black, would have been an awesome video!

Lulubelle
01-01-2011, 17:00
thousands of tiny squid coming out of the black, would have been an awesome video!

Well, guess you'll just have to go there and try for a repeat. Can you shoot video at night? I don't shoot UW photos or video.

Aquatrax
01-01-2011, 17:30
Never tried video, but have seen several on youtube. Photos yes, taken a few in the lakes of Texas, anything below 40ft is a night dive, green water blocks light amazingly well.

I guess I will have to go, meet you there? You point, I'll shoot.

Straegen
01-01-2011, 23:55
So we have two...

Panmanmatt
Lulubelle

Davetowz
01-02-2011, 00:13
Well... not really dive related, but I did talk to my boss yesterday. He is the most invertebrate I have ever met.

Straegen
01-02-2011, 10:53
Going to mix this up a bit and change the rules slightly. The winner gets to choose what they want from my growing gift list. Second place, chooses and so on. In the gift mix are the following items:

The Complete Diving Manual - Great book with everything from basics all the way to some of the science behind diving.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51N75895EGL.jpg

The 2010 Undercurrent Travelin Divers Chapbook which contains several thousand dive op/resort reviews from all over the world. Great resource for the traveler.
http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/images/cbook2011s2.jpg

I have a small selection of dive masks either unused or used in the pool once or twice in like new condition.

jans
01-02-2011, 11:21
Straegen, I'm not a photographer but I can share my experiences with my favorite invertebrate, the Gulf Oyster. My first encounter was as a young child and I was totally repulsed by the slimy things. Later, as a teenager yielding to peer pressure, I had my first taste, but my gag reflex prevented this being an enjoyable experience. As a young adult, I tried again, after consuming the proper amount of alcohol,and realized how wonderful these ugly creatures really were.(did the alcohol have an effect on the gag reflex?) This began a life long love affair. I now look foreward to our trips to the Texas Gulf Coast where I consume dozens of these tasty morsels, fresh off the boat. They don't compare with the beauty of other invertebrate but I dont know of any better tasting.

TwistedSister209
01-02-2011, 17:48
One day I swam ashore. 8593 Life was good. Every so often a wave would keep me cool and hydrated. The sun stayed behind clouds, the breeze gentle.
Then 8594
The end.

Aquatrax
01-02-2011, 17:52
One day I swam ashore. 8593 Life was good. Every so often a wave would keep me cool and hydrated. The sun stayed behind clouds, the breeze gentle.
Then 8594
The end.

Truly Twisted

TwistedSister209
01-02-2011, 18:02
Thank you, Aquatrax! Comes naturally.

Straegen
01-02-2011, 19:54
And the list grows...

Panmanmatt
Lulubelle
Jans
TwistedSister209

I still have more gifts than entries, but there is still plenty of time.

Davetowz
01-02-2011, 22:46
TS has best so far. my vote!

Straegen
01-04-2011, 20:29
Few more days left. Right now everybody who posted is getting something.

Straegen
01-07-2011, 00:07
Last day to get a freebie...

Straegen
01-08-2011, 06:58
Going to start handing out the prizes in the order of the winners. which is

Lulubelle
Panmanmatt
TwistedSister209
Jans

should get a pm soon.

TwistedSister209
01-08-2011, 07:01
Woo Hoo! Thanks, Straegen!

Thanks, Davetowz, for enjoying my brief story!

Panmanmatt
01-08-2011, 09:04
WOW I can't believe I actually won. I would like to thank all the fans that voted for me and all those involved in making this dream come true. It is truly an honour to be chosen by all the great people here. :D

Lulubelle
01-08-2011, 09:11
Going to start handing out the prizes in the order of the winners. which is

Lulubelle
Panmanmatt
TwistedSister209
Jans

should get a pm soon.

Whoo Hoo! My luck was due to change and apparently it has! Awesome. THANKS! PM coming....

Straegen
01-10-2011, 23:09
All the gifts are packaged up but the current Atlanta weather has us "snowed" in. Looks like tomorrow is going to be heavy ice so probably Wednesday/Thursday on the shipping. Sorry for the delay.

Panmanmatt
01-11-2011, 10:21
No need to apologize for the delay, it's not your fault. Thanks for the heads up though.

Panmanmatt
01-22-2011, 12:37
Got the book today. Thanks again for doing this fun activity.

jans
01-22-2011, 19:33
Got mine yesterday. Thanks again.

Lulubelle
01-22-2011, 20:00
Got the mask when I got back from Boston last night, thanks~! Will need to water test it soon.

So what did everyone choose?

Panmanmatt
01-22-2011, 20:14
I chose the Complete Diving Manual by Jack Jackson.

jans
01-24-2011, 09:36
I got the origional offer.

Straegen
01-25-2011, 09:50
It took A LOT longer to ship than I originally stated , but hopefully everyone got what they requested. Let me know if you didn't.