PDA

View Full Version : 20 Things That Became Obsolete This Past Decade

Vercingetorix
01-06-2011, 14:33
I feel old

You're Out: 20 Things That Became Obsolete This Decade (PHOTOS) (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/22/obsolete-things-decade_n_800240.html#s210848&title=VCRs%20And%20VHS%20Tapes)

scubagirlj
01-06-2011, 15:38
thanx a lot, so do i i still have 8 tracks & cassettes around somewhere

navyhmc
01-06-2011, 16:00
I sill have a stereo that has an 8-track, no tapes though....

I refuse to give up my watch, maps (Maps and compass don't need batteries, but do need a cranial interface), calling folks or more importantly face to face meetings. I flew, convoyed, flew, coordinated flights for 6 folks for an hour meeting in Iraq that was far easier and better in the long run than text/emails/phonecalls. Cursive and loss of book stores is depressing. Without encyclopedias, how are kids going to make a fort with the chairs and blankets in the living room???

Depressing, simply depressing.

davepoff
01-06-2011, 20:00
I miss them!

Davetowz
01-06-2011, 20:04
The post office?

Aquatrax
01-06-2011, 20:32
My marriage license :smiley36:

alpha
01-06-2011, 20:44
Good list.

I'm actually throwing away some of those items today...old analog TVS...Hard choice to install and old Fax I purchased but never used or just throw it away...

A lot of old inkjet printers....prior to laser... are hitting the can tomorrow. etc. etc. etc.

Anyone else discarding old relics???

Diver Kat
01-06-2011, 22:43
If the phone book/yellow pages are obsolete, why did they just dump a new set on my doorstep a couple weeks ago???

bennerman
01-06-2011, 22:48
I use the yellow pages every bloody day :P

Why just today, I made 2 appointments using the yellow pages... I also have a date book, I just never really have dates to put it in, and my mom remembers my appointments :P

FishFood
01-06-2011, 22:54
Good list.

I'm actually throwing away some of those items today...old analog TVS...Hard choice to install and old Fax I purchased but never used or just throw it away...

A lot of old inkjet printers....prior to laser... are hitting the can tomorrow. etc. etc. etc.

Anyone else discarding old relics???

Threw away an analog TV as well. Couldn't justify spending $60 on a converter box...

If the phone book/yellow pages are obsolete, why did they just dump a new set on my doorstep a couple weeks ago???

Ive considered this litter for years.

And I disagree with the book stores. I dislike the new E-readers, and my local book store seems to be doing well every time Im in.

Speaking of books, what about the card catalog system at libraries?

Diver Kat
01-06-2011, 22:56
Actually, of the items on the list ....

VCR & tapes - just gave to the daughter
Bookstore - still go before every trip so I have something to read on vacation
Watch - still wear one every day
Maps - still have them, and still use them
CD's - have 100's, still use them, and got a new one (Lissie) a couple days ago
Catalogs - still clogging up my mailbox, most go in the recycle bin
Forgetting? I think I still do that one every day too! :smiley36:

Straegen
01-06-2011, 23:13
They probably should have stopped at 10 since at least half those are a big stretch. That said, along with the VCR DVDs became obsolete in our household even though I still own one of the larger personal collections I know of.

navyhmc
01-07-2011, 00:08
I have to disagree about the phone book - it doesn't need batteries or power, and what happens when the server goes down, how do I look up the number for AOL???

Vercingetorix
01-07-2011, 07:35

So you'd have something to recycle?

Straegen
01-07-2011, 10:40
I have to disagree about the phone book - it doesn't need batteries or power, and what happens when the server goes down, how do I look up the number for AOL???

With todays phone systems when the server or line goes often the phone goes with it.

John Yaskowich
01-07-2011, 11:30
And we just convinced our daughter to install a wired land-line phone. It will work when the power goes out, does not need to be recharged, much more difficult for our granddaughter to flush down the toilet, doesn't run out of local minutes, and there is less danger of no signal due to overload in an emergency. She will still use her cell for the bulk of her communication but the land-line is cheap insurance.

cowgirldiver
01-07-2011, 12:37

this is the same kind of idea as having all the manuals for your computer/programs either on the computer or online instead of hard copies. How do you know how to fix something on your computer, when the computer isn't working....

navyhmc
01-07-2011, 12:53
And we just convinced our daughter to install a wired land-line phone. It will work when the power goes out, does not need to be recharged, much more difficult for our granddaughter to flush down the toilet, doesn't run out of local minutes, and there is less danger of no signal due to overload in an emergency. She will still use her cell for the bulk of her communication but the land-line is cheap insurance.

And that is another reason to keep a hard line. During a crisis, be it weather or man-made, I can tell you that cell phone coverage is going to be completely gone. A couple of years ago, when Greensburg, Kansas was hit by a tornado, it totally took out cell phone coverage, but the land lines survived and were still usable. We're giving serious thought to aquiring a lineman's phone for our disaster support team so we can possibly tap into the local grid.

Straegen
01-07-2011, 15:19
It is in french with subtitles but it is still pretty funny

Schoolkids Guess the Ancient Gadgets and Get It All Adorably Wrong (http://gizmodo.com/5727698/schoolkids-guess-the-ancient-gadgets-and-get-it-all-adorably-wrong?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+gizmodo/full+(Gizmodo))

Diver Kat
01-07-2011, 16:21

So you'd have something to recycle?Which is exactly where it went - because they also delivered the whole set on a disc at the same time! Although I doubt I'll even use that. Google is just easier ....

As for the land line - got rid of it some years back as the only callers were telemarketers, and I couldn't see paying 20+ bucks a month so I could be harassed.

Davetowz
01-07-2011, 18:18
The systems I work on have manuals on disc. I always tell my Soldiers that if something happens to the computer they are boned, if something happens to my book, I wipe it off.

mzbdiver
01-07-2011, 18:24
Please don't lose all hope in this generation. Some of us think things like facebook, twitter, droid/ iphones, and other modern technologies are stupid and wish to not use them.

mzbdiver
01-07-2011, 18:25
However, computers are a necessary evil. How else would I be able to absorb the scuba knowledge of the "ancients". No offense intended

Davetowz
01-07-2011, 18:30
very true statement.

PlatypusMan
01-07-2011, 21:33
Let's see....

8-track stereo? Over there in the corner WITH 8-track tapes ready to go.

CD player? Other part of the house, with CDs ready to go, plus in each automobile.

Turntable? Attached to rack stereo system and LPs in storage underneath.

Cassette player? Two just over there, each side of bed, with tapes (blank and albums)

The fact that I still have them, AND that they are operational still, must mean that I live inside a timewarp (or on the event horizon of a black hole).

PPM
Timequake! Force---INFINITY!!!

bennerman
01-07-2011, 21:40
Let's see....

8-track stereo? Over there in the corner WITH 8-track tapes ready to go.

CD player? Other part of the house, with CDs ready to go, plus in each automobile.

Turntable? Attached to rack stereo system and LPs in storage underneath.

Cassette player? Two just over there, each side of bed, with tapes (blank and albums)

The fact that I still have them, AND that they are operational still, must mean that I live inside a timewarp (or on the event horizon of a black hole).

PPM
Timequake! Force---INFINITY!!!

That and physical media always seems higher quality to me (vinyl is better than CD which is MUCH better than MP3's, Film seems better than digital pictures, etc.)

alpha
01-07-2011, 22:07
I had forgotten they were called "Turntables"..............I bet most teenagers would not know what your talking about........... A table that turns?........Is this beneficial at dinnertime??? ............lol.

sunshine121
01-07-2011, 22:57
Didn't kodachrome film just go obsolete?

And on the topic of vinyl, I took some kids to help clean out a storage area of a shelter and came across some old records. They did not have any idea what they were. Asked if they were big CD's.

Smashee
01-07-2011, 23:46
I had forgotten they were called "Turntables"..............I bet most teenagers would not know what your talking about........... .

I'll take you up on that bet. Most kids will know what a set of ones & twos are.

Herbdb
01-08-2011, 09:06
I know the younger people are not getting landlines and suppose they are going away in residences, but I don't really get it.
I have 9 extensions to my landline in my home. When the phone rings I dont't have to find the cell phone, I pick up the closest extension. If my wife and I both want to talk to the caller we can do it at the same time. While it is possible to three way call on cell phones, I would bet most have no idea how to do it and it certainly is not as easy as picking up an extension.

navyhmc
01-08-2011, 13:25
Didn't kodachrome film just go obsolete?

And on the topic of vinyl, I took some kids to help clean out a storage area of a shelter and came across some old records. They did not have any idea what they were. Asked if they were big CD's.

Yes. The last roll was sent to a famed photographer. That's the last I heard of it. I do know that the only place in the world that processes it is in the little town of Parsons, KS. They have shut down full time processing for it and have only 3 persons on staff that can process it - this is down from a high end of 160.

Diver Kat
01-08-2011, 13:30
I know the younger people are not getting landlines and suppose they are going away in residences, but I don't really get it.
I have 9 extensions to my landline in my home. When the phone rings I dont't have to find the cell phone, I pick up the closest extension. If my wife and I both want to talk to the caller we can do it at the same time. While it is possible to three way call on cell phones, I would bet most have no idea how to do it and it certainly is not as easy as picking up an extension.

9 extensions???? The only way I could get 9 in my house would be to include putting them in the bathrooms! :smiley3:

Herbdb
01-08-2011, 14:47
Just lazy. One on each side of bed in the master bedroom and one on each side of sofa. Why get up and cross a room to answer a call, when wireless extensions are so inexpensive. Plus I live in a three level home, which accounts for the rest.