PDA

View Full Version : Laugh at yourself and the world laughs with you...

scubatrucker
01-07-2011, 12:00
Inspired by my act of stupidity, here is a new thread to celebrate our bone head moments. You know those little acts of stupidity that we look back at and can laugh at ourselves and tell a good story about.

I'll start. This morning about 12:30, I arrived back home from a 1,497 mile 2 day round trip from a customer in Corydon, IN. A trip I've made twice before on one tank of fuel, so I never was worried about running dry. But this time when I got back in town and pulled the truck into the truckstop to refuel, I ran out just 20 yards from fuel island!!!

Glad it only cost me a $21 5-gallon gas can. The company pays for the 280 gallons of fuel!

TJDiver
01-07-2011, 12:02
Oh man...where to begin...I'll get back to you once I get the floodgates of those memories under control. :smiley36:

Aquatrax
01-07-2011, 12:06
Laugh at yourself and the world laughs with you...

But laugh at someone else and end up in a libel suit

bfmorgan
01-07-2011, 13:37
Oh man...where to begin...I'll get back to you once I get the floodgates of those memories under control. :smiley36:
I noticed that you are 23 posts from the magic 1000 posts! Would you like to open up the floodgates and tell us about 23 memories?

TJDiver
01-07-2011, 13:47
I noticed that you are 23 posts from the magic 1000 posts! Would you like to open up the floodgates and tell us about 23 memories?

Well...at the risk of much embarassment...there was this one time in my young and dumb days where I was moving across town. Some buddies had come over, and helped me load up a truck load of stuff...and, we headed off across town to unload it into my new digs. On the way over there, we were discussing how to get a couple large items in thru the door. One of the guys said we'd have to take it in thru the front door because we'd never make the turn at the back door. In a brief moment of absolute dumbass'ness, I said, "Crap...we'll have to go back and get the key to the front door...I only brought the key to the back door." :smiley9: Doesn't it just suck to suffer spats of senility in your early 20's. :smiley36:

Rileybri
01-07-2011, 13:57
This space reserved for a story about a sail boat skipper (me) bragging (jokingly) about how good he is/was right before falling overboard in Key West........

see post below for full story.

bennerman
01-07-2011, 14:28
This space reserved for a story about a sail boat skipper (me) bragging (jokingly) about how good he is/was right before falling overboard in Key West........

I fell off the boat on my first OW dive putting my booties on :P

terrys1991
01-07-2011, 14:29
Years ago I woke up in an extreme panic I was soaking wet, couldn't breath,and my eyes couldn't focus.......................

Earlier that evening while drinking way to much at a bar I got in a fight, I worked over some guys fists pretty bad with my face. On my way home I stopped bought a bag of ice when I got home I laid down and placed the ice on my face all the ice melted before I woke up in extreme panic, I was fine as soon as I took the empty ice bag off my face.

TJDiver
01-07-2011, 14:33
Let's see...there was also the time, in preparation for a Labor Day Weekend family campout at the lake, my father sent me ahead to launch the boat and tie it up at our lake front camp site. Yep, you guessed it...left the plug out. I didn't realize it until I was adrift in the boat, and my bud had pulled the trailer off the ramp. I'm yelling at the top of my lungs to back the trailer back down the ramp, but he just couldn't do it. I had backed it in initially, and he had never backed a trailer at that time. I told him to come hold onto the boat, and I backed the trailer in. I had to back it in deep, as the rear of the boat was just about under by the time we got the trailer back in the water. We actually had to leave the boat hanging way off the back of the trailer because it was too full of water to get it up on the trailer. We then pulled it just far enough forward to drain it. My big saving grace was it was an outboard, and the engine didn't take on any water. Man, all I could see was that boat going under...and, me dying a gruesome death at the hands of my father! Hey, I was 16...all 16-year olds think their father would kill them over such things...right? :smiley36:

Rileybri
01-07-2011, 18:26
Ok I am going for a new post so nothing is missed.

I have been sailing my whole life. I am probably more comfortable on our ketch then I am in a car in traffic. That said about 5 years ago a good friend wanted to sail his Cal 24 from Miami to Key West (after tailoring it from VT) and wanted me to come along as well. The plan was to anchor her off of Westoria Isl. (a.k.a. Christmas Tree Isl.) for the winter and "just sail around". Ok I was in for the transport and a few KW days but he was on his own after that. The whole thing went off with out a hitch 6 days of sailing and lounging in the keys and I was in heaven. On the last day I was there another Cal 24 pulled in next to us and we got to talking and looking under hoods and such. Not to many Cal 24's around any more and defiantly not on the east coast. His was completely original complete with the mint bimini (ours had "the dog house" a custom wood cap). One thing led to another and we wound up on their Cal for a sun set sail. Now anyone who has been to Key West knows that things can get a bit "interesting" at sun set on Key West. we were running with the wind wing in wing hauling in at 8 kn. in light wind. It was quiet but deceptively fast. We began talking a bit more and relaxing as we had a good distance to cover before another course change. With a fresh pain killer in hand i leaned back rest against the safety lines/back rest and next thing I know I am both spilling my drink on myself while falling back into the water. In all my 32 years of boating previous to that day I have never fallen overboard before let alone a nonchalant back roll over with drink in hand (I did have my PFD on). Before I really had time to think about it I remember seeing both the boat and the zodiac we were trailing 15-20' behind. I went for the zodiac and some how managed to grab it and haul my self in. There I laid in shock and amazement while the other 5 collected them selves from laughing so hard. Ya see our Cal 24 had a safety line around the cockpit to lean up against for comfort and obvious safety. His was still rigged for is racing heritage. Their safety line ended at the cockpit and did not go around it. Oh well one more Key West story I will never live down or forget.

TJDiver
01-08-2011, 07:14
Hey Riley...maybe your scuba background, combined with sitting with your back to the water...on a boat no less...triggered some kind of automatic/instinctive back-roll entry mode in your brain. :smiley36:

scubajane
01-08-2011, 18:51
nice save!!! he was just under dressed!!!! put your BC on next time instead of your PFD and no one will notice!!

Rileybri
01-08-2011, 19:54
Hey Riley...maybe your scuba background, combined with sitting with your back to the water...on a boat no less...triggered some kind of automatic/instinctive back-roll entry mode in your brain. :smiley36:

Unfortunately I was not a diver yet or i would have easily been able to shrug it off. Now I only sail in Key West in full scuba gear..........

Flatliner
01-08-2011, 23:02
OK here goes, about 10 years ago, I came home from work one day, walked into the kitchen and saw my wife leaned over with her head stuck in the fridge. Being the man I am, I couldn't pass up an opportunity like that so over I went...

Now, before I go any further, it's important to note how VERY much my wife and mother in law look alike...

I have yet to live it down...

bennerman
01-08-2011, 23:29
OK here goes, about 10 years ago, I came home from work one day, walked into the kitchen and saw my wife leaned over with her head stuck in the fridge. Being the man I am, I couldn't pass up an opportunity like that so over I went...

Now, before I go any further, it's important to note how VERY much my wife and mother in law look alike...

Oh god oh god oh god!

TJDiver
01-09-2011, 07:04

I'm pretty sure Flatliner is the winner so far. :smilie39:

scubatrucker
01-09-2011, 07:59

:smilie39:don't think i would've ever admited to that....it takes a brave man

scubajane
01-09-2011, 07:59

and he lived to tell about it!!!

scubagirlj
01-09-2011, 08:31

talk about keeping it in the family....

TwistedSister209
01-09-2011, 09:22

Yep...agree with that. Made me forget what I was going to write.

scubajane
01-09-2011, 11:26
in my early days as a RN... actually GN... a code was called on my floor. I was in charge of getting the crash cart which was down the hall. I ran to get it. grabbed the cart and started running back to the room. it was like a grocery cart with 2 bad wheels I was working hard to not hit the walls. people were cheering for me... so I thought. apparently I had not unplugged the cart and the entrails of the outlet were following me down the hall. I must have had a larger dose of adrenaline than I expected. it was a keystone cop type of code yet we managed to get the fella stabilized and sent to ICU. then I called maintanence to come check out the outlet. good times.