PDA

View Full Version : lobster hunting

bigman241
01-07-2011, 16:33
I want to do some lobster hunting before the season is up in march. I have seen alot of different gear for it, but what do I really need and what is the best gear for the job?

Splitlip
01-07-2011, 18:04
Make certain you get your license with the crawfish stamp.

One piece of gear you must have on you at all times is a gage. Otherwise, just use a tickle stick and net. Good gloves and a goody bag to.

Don't try and take them just using your hands. All you'll do is rip of their antennae and destroy the coral.

Don't wring them until you get to the dock.

alpha
01-07-2011, 22:57
I want to do some lobster hunting before the season is up in march. I have seen alot of different gear for it, but what do I really need and what is the best gear for the job?

1. cheap gloves 2. medium net 3. small stick/tv antenna/broken fiberglass antenna etc.

1.tapping the carapace & tail without letting the stick touch the antenna and you will be able to have the lobster move into the net.
2. avoid pushing water at the lobster.
3. try not to ever move the net toward the lobster once you begin tapping the lobster as it will detect that it's moving and will not want to go toward the net.
4. once the lobster moves into the net, either lower the net down to the sand or swoop it rapidlly to get the lobster to go toward the bottom of the net (I usually lower mine on the sand.
5. it's ok to pull lobster out of holes with your gloved hand by grabbing the antenna base & shaking the lobster but unfortunately often the base breaks off without pulling out the lobster from its hole...Be careful of 1. Sea urchins (common) 2. moray eel bites when they feel threatened (uncommon). :bull_stomp:Be tough...

6.. do practice on the small lobster...just let them leave the net when the session is over.

....Love that Bull....

bigman241
01-08-2011, 01:56
thats guys will be trying to pick up the gear soon. Can not wait to eat a fresh lobster

bigman241
01-08-2011, 02:24
I watched a few you tube videos and at the end they pulled the tail off and tossed the body back in WHY, ant there meat in the body

Splitlip
01-08-2011, 02:32
There is nothing in the carapace of these critters. I stuff them with crab meat if I want a nice presentation.

Other wise the tails get minced, put in stew (with the knuckles) or get grilled. Or given to my Mom, which she boils.

On the grill..I baste them with a mixture of melted butter and A1 Sauce. Gives the effect of Surf and Turf. If you grill them. make sure you use a skewer so the tails don't curl. (oh, I split the tails)

Splitlip
01-08-2011, 02:34
BTW.

Change your profile. You are now a Floridian. :)

bigman241
01-08-2011, 12:48
will do, thought I had, so when we going hunting together, from the videos it looks like fun
BTW.

Change your profile. You are now a Floridian. :)

bigman241
01-08-2011, 13:09
hey I got another question, I noticed on some videos that some guys use a pole with a cord to grap the lobster like a dog catcher would a dog, is this a new method or harder then the tickle and let them run in the net method?

Splitlip
01-08-2011, 13:18
That's a snare. Stick with the net for a while until you learn how they behave.

bigman241
01-08-2011, 14:44
thats what I figured, seemed like more trouble, and from watching it I figured you needed to know how they react to us, I think it is funny how they just run in the net
That's a snare. Stick with the net for a while until you learn how they behave.

Splitlip
01-08-2011, 16:05
LOL. Right.

Don't get buck fever. Low and slow.
Most new bug hunters I've seen start out looking like Jeremiah Johnson when he was trying to grab the fish in the stream.

I know you are a hunter, so I am certain you know what I'm talking about.

bigman241
01-08-2011, 16:38
yeap 7 years of deer hunting before killing one prepared me for what I expect to be long days floating in the water bugless, nothing to do but float around and enjoy the water, dam sounds like a great time to me. I found with hunting if you push and push you get no where. Where if you sit back do the right things, at the right time. I killed my first deer this past season on the way to my spot.

like you said low and slow, and simple. MMMMM LOBSTER
LOL. Right.

Don't get buck fever. Low and slow.
Most new bug hunters I've seen start out looking like Jeremiah Johnson when he was trying to grab the fish in the stream.

I know you are a hunter, so I am certain you know what I'm talking about.