PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a dive knife

skdvr
09-13-2007, 21:03
I am curious after a dive day or weekend or what ever, when you are cleaning your gear what do you do with your knife? Do you just pull it out of the sheath, rinse it off and let it dry? Do you ever coat it with oil? If you do use oil what kind is best to use and how often do you use it?

Thanks
Phil

Kidder
09-13-2007, 21:07
If it is made from a good grade of stainless it shouldn't need oil. Just rinse and dry.

texdiveguy
09-13-2007, 21:36
I leave it in the sheath and rinse with clean water just like the rest of my gear.

FishFood
09-13-2007, 21:38
I rinse it off, then oil it when I get back home.

Ive yet to find a dive knife that wont corrode after salt water (excluding titanium).

Kidder
09-13-2007, 21:56

Ive yet to find a dive knife that wont corrode after salt water (excluding titanium).

I forgot about salt water. Being in land locked Missouri, salt water can corrode just about all of the stainless grades. This can be helped if they are treated.

Capt Hook
09-13-2007, 21:57
Rinse, dry and light oil.

NightLife
09-13-2007, 22:09
I spent the extra money on titanium so I didnt have to worry about it. 1.5 years later and it never really gets rinsed out of the sheath and no rust/corrosion at all.

wxboy911
09-14-2007, 07:28
I rinse it with the rest fo the dive gear and occasionally throw some oil its way. I dont see too much salt water so the oil is more of a precaution than anything else.

mm_dm
09-14-2007, 07:50
I rinse it with the rest fo the dive gear and occasionally throw some oil its way. I dont see too much salt water so the oil is more of a precaution than anything else.

Same here. I take the knife apart all the way and let it dry. Once in a blue moon I throw some oil on it. That's more a habit from owning other knives not used in diving. Many dive knives have an insert(s) of sorts in the handle which can be removed and then you can pull the whole thing apart.
It's probably not necessary, but I have this romantic notion about the craftsmanship that goes into a good knife that drives me when cleaning it.

mwhities
09-14-2007, 08:16
After I stab my dive buddy, I just "swish" it around under water and then stow it. Once I'm done with the dive, I'll do another rinse with the rest of my gear.

Michael

mm_dm
09-14-2007, 08:20
After I stab my dive buddy, I just "swish" it around under water and then stow it. Once I'm done with the dive, I'll do another rinse with the rest of my gear.

Michael

A good policy when the sharks start making circles around you...

ScubaJenn81
09-14-2007, 10:07
I forgot to rinse and before I stored it last time and it got a bit rusty, but I took it about and a steal wool pad cleaned it right up.

Charles R
09-14-2007, 10:12
I Spent the extra money on Ti and dont even think about it it stays in the sheath and get rinsed with the rest of my gear when I am done

CompuDude
09-14-2007, 10:35
I used to always pull it out, give it a quick rinse and let it and the sheath dry before putting it back away.

I finally replaced all of my blades (except for shears, which I have yet to find) with titanium, so now they live permanently attached to my webbing and I never have to touch them. They get rinsed along with the BC itself, but stay in the sheath.

I love Ti knives.

Vercingetorix
09-14-2007, 10:38

Michael

A good policy when the sharks start making circles around you...As a great diver once said, "You don't have to out swim the shark...just out swim your buddy."

I think I'l ask the wife for a Ti knife for Christmas.

reefugee
09-14-2007, 13:19
What type of oil do you use on your knife.

For me - I have the Blue tang that can be completely disassembled. I just disassemble my knife and toss the blade into the dishwasher.

Minh

Bill22
09-14-2007, 13:36

Michael

This is only if there are Great Whites or Bull Sharks in the water.... right? Otherwise it could be difficult to find dive buddies who would dive with you more than once ;-)

The blood will guarantee that I get away as the shark will always go after the one who is bleeding.... Course this only theoretical as I've never seen a Great White or Bull Shark in the water ;-)

coralcrazed
09-14-2007, 23:14
just read through the thread and was surprised that no one suggested silicone grease... stuffs th best!

I do own a Ti knife myself and never really need to do anything but rince it with therest of my gear. However, I only dive on vacation once a year so even though its a Ti knife I still greece it up when winterizing it. And no matter what it will stay sharper if you grease it. if you wantto get real tech about it any kind of friction will dull a knife. so when you are showing your knife off or stabbing your buddy as some have said the knife will scrape up against the sheath. It is so important to keep the knife super sharp when diving.

ertechsg
09-14-2007, 23:35
Buy cheap a knife every few years. If you ever drop it it not such a painful mistake. $20 replaces it if it rust. or is loss or if you can't get it out of your buddy before the shark eats them.

Bill22
09-15-2007, 01:27
I am curious after a dive day or weekend or what ever, when you are cleaning your gear what do you do with your knife? Do you just pull it out of the sheath, rinse it off and let it dry? Do you ever coat it with oil? If you do use oil what kind is best to use and how often do you use it?

Thanks
Phil

Was talking to my buddy as we were cleaning our gear after this mornings dive about this subject. He showed me his knife. It has some some small rust stains, but nothing bad. He told me he's had the knife for over 10 years and all he ever does is rinse it with fresh water and stow it away. This is a guy who easily does over a 100 dives a year! He average probably 2 dives a week when he's home. Doesn't count yearly dive trips to Okinawa and Guam. Seems the biggest thing is just making sure you rinse it well.

I've gone to Titanium so I don't have to worry about it :-)

turtle_guy
09-15-2007, 05:58

I found one UK's hydralloy knives. Mine has never been rinsed and has zero rust. Also never sharpened and cuts like a hot knife through butter.

Kidder
09-15-2007, 09:44

I found one UK's hydralloy knives. Mine has never been rinsed and has zero rust. Also never sharpened and cuts like a hot knife through butter.

Do you know what actually makes up the hydraalloy? Or is it their secret recipe? I would be curious to find out. Have you taken it through salt water?

coralcrazed
09-15-2007, 10:13
someone said get a cheap knife so if you loose it it won't matter. I would humbly disagree. a cheap knife will dull before you loose it. and I never lot a knife. I think when you buy it you have to look closly at the sheath and determine if it hasgood release. the trade off... if the release is too loose you loose the knife if itstoo stiffyou have a harder time getting the knife when needed.

I like somewhere in between so when I confront that shark and he wants to play I can play too. :)

FishFood
09-15-2007, 20:44
I don't quite understand how knives are lost so often? Is there a band of evil divers out there going around stealing knives out of diver's sheaths?

CompuDude
09-16-2007, 13:43

Thanks
Phil

Was talking to my buddy as we were cleaning our gear after this mornings dive about this subject. He showed me his knife. It has some some small rust stains, but nothing bad. He told me he's had the knife for over 10 years and all he ever does is rinse it with fresh water and stow it away. This is a guy who easily does over a 100 dives a year! He average probably 2 dives a week when he's home. Doesn't count yearly dive trips to Okinawa and Guam. Seems the biggest thing is just making sure you rinse it well.

I've gone to Titanium so I don't have to worry about it :-)

I have an older knife that has kept up well for years, too. Problem is, the SS alloy those knives are made of don't hold an edge very well. My buddy, on the other hand, has a knife that has a high carbon content and takes a fantastic edge. It will rust in 20 minutes flat if he doesn't rinse it immediately after getting back, however.

Eh. I prefer Titanium. Rust PROOF. The SpyderCo H1's are supposed to be pretty rust proof also, however, I don't want a folder and their fixed blade isn't on the market yet, so Ti it is! The HydroAlloy from UK can rust... it's no H1. I have a buddy who's blade proves it.

Tod
09-19-2007, 01:18
I don't quite understand how knives are lost so often?

I've watched a budy do a giant stride off the side of a dive boat and through a bunch of kelp (that the boat parked in) and that was the end of his ownership of the knife. Others (same friend) just seem to get misplaced between dives.

I've heard stories of people dropping their expensive knives and then diving down after them - blowing past their dive plan or MOD.

Something to think about...

Kidder
09-19-2007, 20:27
I don't quite understand how knives are lost so often?

I've watched a budy do a giant stride off the side of a dive boat and through a bunch of kelp (that the boat parked in) and that was the end of his ownership of the knife. Others (same friend) just seem to get misplaced between dives.

I've heard stories of people dropping their expensive knives and then diving down after them - blowing past their dive plan or MOD.

Something to think about...

That is something to think about. Never going deeper or doing something your not prepared to do, in order to go after a "thing". You can always buy a new one or retrieve it later. My buddy lost a new akona knife just swiming. There has to be a fine line there between easy to get to and falling out.

diverdad
09-19-2007, 21:27
I rinse, dry , and store. But it is a E-bay cheapo.

turtle_guy
09-19-2007, 22:05

Do you know what actually makes up the hydraalloy? Or is it their secret recipe? I would be curious to find out. Have you taken it through salt water?
no idea whats actually in it and yes all salt water except one fresh water dive

Kidder
09-20-2007, 19:56

no idea whats actually in it and yes all salt water except one fresh water dive

That's pretty cool. I bet they probably won't be falling over themselves to tell any one either.