PDA

View Full Version : spear gun recommendations

bigman241
01-11-2011, 15:09
not sure when, but sometime by the end of spring/summer I want to get a spear gun, I love fishing, love diving of course, and why not marry the 2.

Any thoughts on a good starter spear gun. DO I go all out and spend the big bucks or go small and not so costly?

Noob
01-11-2011, 16:02
Talk to Dano at Mako Spearguns. I bought one from him last year and love it.

Bigg_Budd
01-11-2011, 16:46
another vote for mako. but, like anything else, it all depends on what and where you hunt. go to spearboard.com. that is a one-stop-shop for speargun knowledge. you can spend literally HOURS on there learning about guns. i love that place. although you may have to lurk. they traditionally take forever to confirm your registration...

packjk
03-01-2011, 19:41
Another vote for Mako. Dano and his crew are top notch with product quality and customer service. I went ahead and bought one of the packages last year and spent most of the summer just practicing here in the murky lake. This summer I will have more time on my hands and live a LOT closer to the ocean so I look forward to taking it out and spearing some monsters lol

fab50diver
03-04-2011, 17:16
I second the comment on "i love that place. although you may have to lurk. they traditionally take forever to confirm your registration..."

Splitlip
03-04-2011, 17:47
See what the locals are using.

While Riffe makes a great blue water gun, you really can't free shaft them so I would take them off the list. A big fav for my buds in the keys is the Scubapro Panther. No longer made by SP, but Bandito bought the molds.

Good starter: look at the Billers or JBLs in wood. IMO six of one half dozen of the other. Find one reasonably priced in the ~42 inch range.

Splitlip
03-04-2011, 17:52
Oh. A tip. Most empty wood Billers and jbl's float. Good for free diving. But for scuba, you can fill the grip with lead. If you let the gun go, it should stand up when you let it go.

Fishermen battle huge shark that takes chunk of their catch off Deerfield Beach (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/state/fishermen-battle-huge-shark-that-takes-chunk-of-1296617.html)

bigman241
03-11-2011, 08:54
ouch I bet that pissed off he diver, better it not attached to him though