PDA

View Full Version : air compressor?

Kidder
09-13-2007, 21:05
Hi there I have often looked at air compressors at on-line shops and on e-bay, but the cost is out of reach. I wonder though is it practical? The compressors that can fill quickly would be heavy I imagine. Its just tough being 40 minutes (one way) from the nearest air fill.

finflippers
09-13-2007, 21:30
I feel your pain. I have about 50 miles each way to go to get air myself. I have thought it would be nice to have a compressor too but with the prices that just isn't practical for me so I am planning to upgrade my scuba collection to have 4 to 5 tanks, then when I make the trip it is for many tanks not just one.

Kidder
09-13-2007, 21:33
I feel your pain. I have about 50 miles each way to go to get air myself. I have thought it would be nice to have a compressor to but with the prices that just isn't practical for me so I am planning to upgrade my scuba collection to have 4 to 5 tanks, then when I make the trip it is for many tanks not just one.

That's good thinking. I only have two, both of which are empty. If I had more it would mean less trips and more diving.

finflippers
09-13-2007, 21:38
That's good thinking. I only have two, both of which are empty. If I had more it would mean less trips and more diving.

Plus with getting tanks the cost can be spread out in time buying them one at a time instead of coming up with the cost of a compressor all at once.

Foo2
09-14-2007, 00:22
This might be totally dumb....I don't know if you can do this or not...have you considered talking to your local fire department? They may have a compressor that they use for search and rescue. I'm sure there is one closer than 40 minutes away. Just a thought...

ChrisA
09-14-2007, 00:40
Hi there I have often looked at air compressors at on-line shops and on e-bay, but the cost is out of reach. I wonder though is it practical? The compressors that can fill quickly would be heavy I imagine. Its just tough being 40 minutes (one way) from the nearest air fill.

You don't need a large compressor to fill tanks quickly. What you need are some large "storage tanks". You run the compressor to fill the storage tanks at night. Then you fill the dive tanks from stored air. If you add a pneumatic powered "boster" you can fill tanks with more pressure then yu have in the storage tanks.

The system is not cheap and you would need to replace filters and have the air analysed periodically. It might cost you $4 or $5 to fill a tank when you add up everything.

Reasons to buy a compressor system are lots of divers are gong to be able to share it like at a club or dive shop or you own a boat or dive at very remote locatons

If you just have a long drive buy more tanks

skdvr
09-14-2007, 05:53
Just tell your wife that you are seriously thinking about buying a sompressor and talk about it for a few weeks and then you can say "Well I think that instead of buying a compressor for $8,000 I am just going to buy two more tanks now and then in about 6 months I will buy another 2." There you go bro. She will be happy to let you buy the tanks instead of the compressor.

Good luck with that.

Phil

Kidder
09-14-2007, 06:55
This might be totally dumb....I don't know if you can do this or not...have you considered talking to your local fire department? They may have a compressor that they use for search and rescue. I'm sure there is one closer than 40 minutes away. Just a thought...

Thats not dumb at all. I have fire dept. ith about 5 minutes from here. I called and asked. They said that I would have to be a part of a public org. (ie: police, fire, etc..) in order to get my tanks filled there. I think that they have liability concerns.

crpntr133
09-17-2007, 23:01
You don't have to have the bank tank as mentioned before but if you want a 30 minute fill you might. I have been looking at getting my own compressor and I think within the next year or so I will have a used one. I live about 40 minutes away from the nearest shop so it isn't really convenient. Also I own 4 low pressure tanks and I can't get a good fill. I always hear that their gauge doesn't show 40 ( for 2640). Last time I was in I got a 2700 fill and about fell over.
Maintenance isn't that much for a compressor and the analysis isn't required if you are doing this for yourself. Now if you are charging your buds then it goes into a whole new ball of wax. One side step on the buddy filling is to not charge but they can donate to you.

Charlotte Smith
09-17-2007, 23:05
We ARE getting a compressor...we figured up what we spend in air-cards and it is worth our money and we have actually found one at a marina that is not using it anymore and it's not that old so why not....BTW you do have to be certified to fill tanks other than your own I have heard....

Tod
09-18-2007, 18:23
Just get one of these and save yourself the trip... http://www.diveriteexpress.com/gas/etherfill.shtml

Kidder
09-18-2007, 21:14
Just get one of these and save yourself the trip... http://www.diveriteexpress.com/gas/etherfill.shtml

That's awesome I'll order NOW!!!!!!!! Oh wait I wasn't bore yesturday, it was the day before. I'm much to old for this. :scratchchin:

Charlotte Smith
09-18-2007, 21:17
They will put ANYTHING on the internet these days...... too funny!

crpntr133
09-18-2007, 23:06
My LDS did something similar.

Kidder
09-19-2007, 20:30
My LDS did something similar.

DId scuba toys get any takers? JJJJJUUUUUSSSSTTT kidding :smiley2:

diverdad
09-19-2007, 21:01
If your looking for compressors there are several on line actions for use government equipment. Some are very reasonable.

Kidder
09-19-2007, 21:07
If your looking for compressors there are several on line actions for use government equipment. Some are very reasonable.

What sites do you suggest. I had heard about it before and tried looking for a site with no luck.