PDA

View Full Version : Kobe beef.

scubastud
01-13-2011, 06:24
Is it really worth the price? Never had it.
This is a new item on the menu at Cafe Muse.

Imperial WaYgu Stripp with Savory Corn Pudding and Fingerling Pomm Fritte
$45.00

Defman
01-13-2011, 07:01
$45 certainly seems very cheap. I have not had Kobe/Wagyu yet, I plan to get some the next time I'm a) out of steaks, b) have the extra $$, so I can't speak to it's flavor. I do pretty much always buy wet aged (sometimes dry aged) USDA Prime from a local butcher shop and I can say without any hesitation that it's better than "grocery store" steaks.

scubastud
01-13-2011, 07:03
that's cheap?
This is just a little cafe in Royal Oak MI. not some fancy steakhouse.

Flatliner
01-13-2011, 07:33
If it's real Kobe thats VERY cheap. As to, "is it worth it" I have no idea.

chinacat46
01-13-2011, 07:34
I had Kobe beef when I was in Japan back in 95 it was awesome. It was very expensive back then but lucky for me Fujitsu was paying.

BTW Stud congrats on making shark. Next stop grand master sphincter.

Defman
01-13-2011, 09:56
that's cheap?
This is just a little cafe in Royal Oak MI. not some fancy steakhouse.

Yeah, dry-aged Wagyu/Kobe can run about $130 a pound.. give or take based on where you buy it. But I have seen it as low as $45 per pound, but I think that is wet-aged.

Straegen
01-13-2011, 10:30
Getting real Kobe at that price is unlikely and IMO no it is not worth it. There are plenty good filets that are just as tasty for well under half the price of Kobe.

Want a great piece of steak? Put a medium priced filet in a bowl on the counter and pour a bunch of coarse salt on it. Let it sit on the counter for about an hour. There should be plenty of standing water. Remove the filet and put into a ziplock bag with a cup of coffee. Put in the fridge overnight. Remove from bag and grill up the next day. Mmmmm.... hard to wrong with this recipe. It will usually taste like a very good dry aged steak.

TwistedSister209
01-13-2011, 13:59
Range fed beef.

Smashee
01-13-2011, 14:29
Kobe and Wagyu beef aren't really interchangeable terms. Wagyu is a type of cow, one that's selected for it's high degree of marbling in the meat. You can buy cheaper Wagyu steaks and prices will vary depending on the breed (there are several types of Wagyu) of the cow and how the cattle are raised/finished. It's not bad, but I find that the feed, finishing, cut and aging has more effect on the quality of a steak than the breed.
Wagyu has a reputation that's not always deserved, especially in cheaper cuts. You may be able to get better quality for your dollar elsewhere, but good quality Wagyu should be tried. It can be very good.

Kobe beef is from a very high-quality breed of Wagyu and has to conform to specific quality and area tests to be considered Kobe. If it's cheap, it's a fake "Kobe-style", usually from a Wagyu/Angus cross. The real stuff only comes from Japan and is extremely expensive. Accept no imitations. As far as taste goes, if you can afford real Kobe, try it once, providing that the chef is up to the task. It is magnificent, but (IMO) not really worth eating on a regular basis because of the price. I'd rather spend my dollars on something else.

scubastud
01-13-2011, 17:27
OK thanks Smashee.
And I'm gonna try that Straegen.

scubajane
01-13-2011, 19:59
Getting real Kobe at that price is unlikely and IMO no it is not worth it. There are plenty good filets that are just as tasty for well under half the price of Kobe.

Want a great piece of steak? Put a medium priced filet in a bowl on the counter and pour a bunch of coarse salt on it. Let it sit on the counter for about an hour. There should be plenty of standing water. Remove the filet and put into a ziplock bag with a cup of coffee. Put in the fridge overnight. Remove from bag and grill up the next day. Mmmmm.... hard to wrong with this recipe. It will usually taste like a very good dry aged steak.

does it retain any coffee flavor?? what do you mean by 'standing water'? please educate me!

Davetowz
01-13-2011, 20:06
regardless of source, I'd eat that. Thanx, your pic has me wanting steak waffles with zombie jelly

TwistedSister209
01-13-2011, 20:54
I cook roasts in left-over coffee. There is no coffee flavor.

Flatliner
01-13-2011, 21:52
What does the coffee do?

Chilly
01-13-2011, 22:02
I regulary use a Coffee Rub on bone-in ribeye, flank steak for fajitas, and even standing rib roast. The coffee flavor compliments the beef nicely.

oddbod
01-14-2011, 04:49
Since this is a Scuba forum;
You need to go to Vanuatu to dive the SS President Coolidge, whilst in Santo try some of their Santo Beef, beats Wagu and Kobe any day, absolutely melts in your mouth, which at my age is a good thing:smiley9:.

Straegen
01-14-2011, 09:00
does it retain any coffee flavor?? what do you mean by 'standing water'? please educate me!

Very little coffee flavor is left. There is a bit but I really dislike coffee so even with my coffee sensitive taste buds I enjoy the compliment. Some people pack their steak in grounds which seems to add even less flavor but haven't tried that approach yet.

The salt sucks water out of the steak. It is sort of a trick to make a standard cut taste like a dry aged steak. It is very good with or without the coffee IMO.

What does the coffee do?

I can't say for sure what all it does but the end effect is the flavor of the steak is significantly intensified. Hard to describe without tasting it but the end flavor is like steak concentrate. We had one at a place called Stoney River locally and it was so good we figured we could reproduce it. It only took one quick search on the internets to find a couple decent versions but they are all pretty similar. Either brewed or grounds overnight.

davepoff
01-31-2011, 19:01
Use regular coffee or decaf? How about a starbucks blend?

josh7284
06-03-2011, 15:13
where does the kobe usually come from?

Smashee
06-03-2011, 16:59
Kobe, Japan. Hyogo Prefecture. If it doesn't come from there, it's not Kobe beef.

GManTx
09-11-2011, 22:36
Yes what Smashee said. True Kobe only comes from Kobe Japan all other are just Wagyu cattle sometimes cross bred with Angus. True Kobe looks white with specks of red that when heated with melt into the meat and deliver the most tender and tasty meat that you will ever eat. While Wagyu (called Kobe Style in most places) is very tender and tasty it is not even close to the real thing.

With that said Wagyu is still a great eating experience and shoud be tried. I would only try it from you most trusted restaurant as some chefs and even suppliers do not know what they are buying or selling and will pass stuff off as the real deal not understanding the truth themselves. Cheap Kobe style sells to restaurants for around $24 per lb. This is the bottom tier and not with the money. If you want to try it you are going to have to pay for it.

Zeagle Eagle
09-11-2011, 23:06
Wikipedia: Kobe beef refers to cuts of beef from the black Tajima-ushi breed of Wagyu cattle, raised according to strict tradition in Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan. What you are eating is probably a knock off. Kobe can run $300 for one steak.

Yes, it's worth it.

Largo
01-11-2012, 21:48
I've been told that Kobe cattle are given massages IOT make the meat more tender. Is that true?

I can see that being effective just prior to slaughter. It might prevent a rush of lactic acid to the muscles.

Rcontrera
01-12-2012, 20:35
Not only are they massaged, they are also fed beer to help keep them fat and happy... like me!

cgvmer
01-13-2012, 13:01
So just feed me the beer and a grass fed, dried age steak from this country........YUM!!