PDA

View Full Version : my 9 year old son wants to scuba dive

diverdad
09-13-2007, 21:27
i have 9 yr old son (turns 10 in november) that wants to learn to dive. let me give you a little back ground on him. he is a very intelligent kid(he scored as being a genius on his IQ test), he is a straight "A" student and is in the gifted and talented class. but he has a problem with interpersonal skills he cannot understand what another person mood or feelings are by their expressions or their body language. he tends to get in trouble in school because of this.
well at the beginning of school of this year i made a deal with him if he could stay out of trouble in school i would let him get certified. i know i should not try to bribe him but i don't feel it is a bribe if he earned it. all most every night we go out in the pool and practice on his skills. he can do his 200 yard swim, 5 minute tread, clear his mask, remove, replace, and clear mask, i even let use my gear to use in the pool (with me there).
what i can see is that he is very comfortable in and under the water.

my question is ; is this a good idea to let him dive or should i try to get him to wait. or should i take him to an instructor and let him do a discovery dive and let the instructor decide. i would appreciate you ownest oppinion.

Coaster
09-13-2007, 21:33
I have been at a quarry and observed kids diving a coupla times and noticed that the surface interval include a serious mood for kids and adults.

scubasavvy
09-13-2007, 22:18
I would let him do a discovery dive with someone other than yourself. See how he reacts with the other people in his group and with the instructor. Then I would go by what the instructor thinks. If you observe how he reacts to diving now (I know it puts me in a nice calm mood, but this isn't the case for all), it may save you a lot of trouble in the future. And Hell, if he likes diving that much, you may be able to bribe him to behave all year round. I hope this helps...

WaScubaDude
09-14-2007, 01:10
Sounds cool that someone so young could get certified. What organization will cert that young? I think PADI is about 15?

Phestr
09-14-2007, 02:32
No, PADI is 10. I would definately have him do Discover SCUBA by himself. Not only is it good for interpersonal relationships (on the surface, anyway), but it will give him a sense of accomplishment that he did it without your help. And chicks, no matter how old, dig SCUBA divers.

ScubaGir1
09-14-2007, 03:22
I agree, he's not too young, and having him do the discover scuba would be a great idea. It'll probably be a little different for him to learn from someone else, besides you. So you'll be able to see how he does during the discover scuba. That's great that he's so interested :smiley20:

Stingray Brett
09-14-2007, 05:13
I would agree with all of the people above. Sounds like a future diver if everything turns out alright.

ScubaJenn81
09-14-2007, 06:00
I think it is a great way to bond with your son, and, in my opionion, there is nothing wrong with a well placed bribe now and again. :smiley2:

creggur
09-14-2007, 07:11
I think it would be great for him to learn from someone else in a discover class and you could observe how he handles learning from an instructor.

I don't think you bribed him at all, I would call that good parenting. If you do A,B,&C then you will be rewarded with D. Good life lesson actually it's how the real world works..

divingmedic
09-14-2007, 07:27
Many agencies have programs for kids. Bubble Makers is one, SSI has Scuba Rangers. I would enroll him in one of those programs.

DZorn00
09-14-2007, 07:34
My daughter is ten and wants to take the class after me (I had to tell her and the wife I should try it out first then let them know what it is like) but she can get the PADI junior certification. I haven't had her do the discovery dive yet and after listening to all of you I think I will do that first....

CC1020
09-14-2007, 10:06
My daughter is 9, and has completed Scuba Rangers. She will most likely be getting her Junior OW cert after her birthday next year. She absolutely loves it, and is a "natural" in the water. Sounds like yours may well be up for the challenge as well. Good luck :)

BSea
09-14-2007, 10:17
My LDS has a "Scuba Rangers" class designed to let younger kids try scuba. From what I've seen it's a big hit. They even go on trips together.

Charles R
09-14-2007, 10:19
My daughter is 9, and has completed Scuba Rangers. She will most likely be getting her Junior OW cert after her birthday next year. She absolutely loves it, and is a "natural" in the water. Sounds like yours may well be up for the challenge as well. Good luck :)

My son did several Dives first was a SNUBA dive in Maui that got him hooked bad. then we did 2 Bubble makers secions with him and he loved it so we had his 9th B-day party was a bubble makers party he spent 2 hrs in the pool never got out. Did the PADI Seal team Camp this was a little more interesting as he got to do a Night dive did some compass navigation and a wreak dive all in a pool. then when he turned 10 there was no stopping him. He is now jr OW certified.

greyzen
09-14-2007, 23:00
I WISH my dad had been as into my interests as you are your kids.

I begged my father to take me out diving, and he never would :/
Finally, a hundred years later I'm doing it on my own, and can only think about the awesome times I'll never have with 'em there (he's not physically able to dive anymore)

texarkandy
09-14-2007, 23:20
i have 9 yr old son (turns 10 in november) that wants to learn to dive. let me give you a little back ground on him. he is a very intelligent kid(he scored as being a genius on his IQ test), he is a straight "A" student and is in the gifted and talented class. but he has a problem with interpersonal skills he cannot understand what another person mood or feelings are by their expressions or their body language. he tends to get in trouble in school because of this.
well at the beginning of school of this year i made a deal with him if he could stay out of trouble in school i would let him get certified. i know i should not try to bribe him but i don't feel it is a bribe if he earned it. all most every night we go out in the pool and practice on his skills. he can do his 200 yard swim, 5 minute tread, clear his mask, remove, replace, and clear mask, i even let use my gear to use in the pool (with me there).
what i can see is that he is very comfortable in and under the water.

my question is ; is this a good idea to let him dive or should i try to get him to wait. or should i take him to an instructor and let him do a discovery dive and let the instructor decide. i would appreciate you ownest oppinion.

Is the kid ready, old enough, mature enough, etc to take on diving - yes those are all valid things to ponder.

I'm certainly not trying to scare you away from it - but I'd like to add one more view for you to consider from another DiverDad - are YOU ready for your kid to start diving?

I can't speak for other parents, but I (like I see in you've listed in your profile) don't have many dives logged either. I do have a lot of "other" stress/emergency/hazardous situation/etc experience that helps make up for that some, but I still worry over my JOW & limit her diving quite a bit. If absolutely everything is not just right - vis, water temp, mindset, etc - she don't go.

You may find yourself surprised at how heavily the "what if's" will weigh upon your mind when your kid starts diving.

p.s. - it helps if you have your own pool (or one avail most any time) so you can go over, and over, and over, procedures, hand signals, equip malfunctions, etc with your new JOW - that's the main reason I bought our own tanks.

texarkandy
09-14-2007, 23:26
Sure would be nice to have a forum on here esp. dedicated to diving with kids/teens (hint, hint)

Scubling
09-15-2007, 10:19
I have to say that you should ABSOLUTLY enroll him in the diving classes. I was 10 years old a few months ago when I became certified. If he really wants to do it, give him a quick discovery dive (I did my first one at age 8 in Belize) to see how he reacts underwater. I feel so proud that I was able to pass the test and dive. I really enjoy the logs and things outside the dive too.

Recently, we went on 5 dives in the Florida Keys including diving with sharks. Cool!

As always, I'm looking for other young dive buddys in Michigan - Ann Arbor area!

lucidblue
09-16-2007, 22:04
Definitely doesn't sound like bribing to me. It sounds like if he successfully changes his behavior, he gets the reward of learning an activity (a $$ one at that) that he has expressed interest in.

When I took my OW there was a 10 yr old in the class. His dad was an avid diver and knew the instructors pretty well. It took him longer to get through everything, but he passed the class.

This is also a great way for you to bond with your son. I really believe diving can be a great bonding experience.

diverdad
09-17-2007, 20:23
thanks for all of your suggestions. I think i will take for a discover dive and if the instructor feels he is ready i'll enroll him in a class.
I have to say that you should ABSOLUTLY enroll him in the diving classes. I was 10 years old a few months ago when I became certified. If he really wants to do it, give him a quick discovery dive (I did my first one at age 8 in Belize) to see how he reacts underwater. I feel so proud that I was able to pass the test and dive. I really enjoy the logs and things outside the dive too.

Recently, we went on 5 dives in the Florida Keys including diving with sharks. Cool!

As always, I'm looking for other young dive buddys in Michigan - Ann Arbor area!

Sorry SCUBLING we live in TEXAS. I grew up in the UPPER PENINSULA OF MICHIGAN if we ever get up that way we might be able to get you and my son together for a dive.

jlittlejohn321
09-29-2007, 12:36
Let him get certified im 13 and got it when i was 12 and my dad now wishes he got me certified at 10 and by the time hes 15 hell have lik 2000 dives

Capt Hook
09-29-2007, 13:42
Question to ask isn't if he is intelligent enough or old Knight, question should be, Is he mature enough. If he's getting in trouble at school, maybe you should consider reasons for this behavior.

diverdad
09-30-2007, 10:22
Question to ask isn't if he is intelligent enough or old Knight, question should be, Is he mature enough. If he's getting in trouble at school, maybe you should consider reasons for this behavior.

The problem with school is that he picks everything up so fast that he gets bored. He is in advanced classes but he still gets bored i have asked to give him more challenging work to see how he does. He seems pretty mature to me that is why i'm thinking about letting him get certified. And i can use it as a tool to keep him interested in learning.

comet24
09-30-2007, 13:00
I posted this to another thread here.

I have no kids but the shop I DM with has a SCUBA camp every summer. Basically the kids spend the week at the pool learning to dive and about the oceans, reefs, sharks, ect. Then they go to the lake on Sat-Sun and do their check out dives. I was there for the check out dives but not during the week of pool stuff. Real job and all. The kids where great. Better then most of the adults we take up. Now part of that is the week in the pool just before. The parents have to come up and if certified can dive on there own and then we let them come on the last dive with us.

If he wants to do it and with the right instructor it should be fine. Now we had a lot of staff up there for this weekend more then twice what we take up. Lots of supervision.