PDA

View Full Version : Sun rises in Greenland two days earlier

Straegen
01-14-2011, 12:04
This is some slightly scary stuff... even the explanation doesn't leave me feeling good about it.

Why Did the Sun Rise 48 Hours Ahead of Its Usual Date In Greenland? (http://gizmodo.com/5733751/why-did-the-sun-rise-48-hours-ahead-of-its-usual-date-in-greenland?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+gizmodo/full+(Gizmodo))

TJDiver
01-14-2011, 12:10
Well, based on their hypothesis and our recent experiences locally, I think it's because most of Greenlands ice and snow has been diverted to East TN. :smiley36:

Noob
01-14-2011, 12:22
the explanation sounds like bs to me. Odd for sure.

Aquatrax
01-14-2011, 12:28
Sweet, I'll be diving the French Quarter in no time at all.

Rileybri
01-14-2011, 12:46
Sweet, I'll be diving the French Quarter in no time at all.

Will we still be able to get hurricane to go??

baywatch106
01-14-2011, 14:35
Global warming? ... who was around when the last ice age melted? I guess those primative people living then emitted greenhouse gases to make the earth warm up and melt the ice.

TJDiver
01-14-2011, 14:47
Global warming? ... who was around when the last ice age melted? I guess those primative people living then emitted greenhouse gases to make the earth warm up and melt the ice.

Haven't you heard? Flatulence. :smiley13: Mutton Methane: Reducing Flatulence to Reduce Global Warming - Environmental Capital - WSJ (http://blogs.wsj.com/environmentalcapital/2009/02/26/mutton-methane-reducing-flatulence-to-reduce-global-warming/)

baywatch106
01-14-2011, 16:50
What else can the greedy people of the world think of?

TJDiver
01-14-2011, 16:59
What else can the greedy people of the world think of?

I was in another forum a good while back, and there was this one guy that was just about in hysterics over the "problem" with cow flatulence and its contribution to...ahem...global warming. He was quite entertaining to say the least, and I believe his real beef...pardon the pun...with cattle was that he was a vegetarian. Because of some teasing by a couple other members, he got really irate and asked what any of us were doing to address the issue. I responded that I was eating the cows. :smilie39:

bennerman
01-14-2011, 17:32
while I understand the theory and all that, I don't think the ice can shrink that quickly in one year

Noob
01-17-2011, 09:44
LOL TJ.

If farts were a problem wouldnt the atmosphere explode from all the methane? LOL

Well lets see what happens next year and if the sun rises on the right day then what will they say?

Or

Could the earth have shifted minutely to make this happen?

Straegen
01-17-2011, 09:53
Pretty good followup on the story questioning its validity and looking at the math behind some other theories:

Greenland’s Early Sunrise « The Half-Astrophysicist Blog (http://halfastro.wordpress.com/2011/01/14/greenlands-early-sunrise/)

Noob
01-17-2011, 10:08
That is a good read. Thanks

TJDiver
01-17-2011, 10:25
Pretty good followup on the story questioning its validity and looking at the math behind some other theories:

Greenland’s Early Sunrise « The Half-Astrophysicist Blog (http://halfastro.wordpress.com/2011/01/14/greenlands-early-sunrise/)

If we can assume one of the posters on that site is being truthful, he states that he is a physics teacher in Greenland, and also states there are no glaciers in the path. His assertion then is that the "shrinking glaciers" explanation fails, as glaciers were never obscuring the sunrise to begin with. It is indeed interesting how some will stand on anything they think can be even remotely twisted to support their position, and run with it. It is indeed sad that so many would follow their lead unquestioned. It makes me wonder how long it will be before some Hollywierd types start spouting off on said "shrinking glaciers", and Al Gore runs a clearance sale on carbon credits to alleviate the problem. :smiley13:

Rileybri
01-17-2011, 11:32
I believe that whales and dolphins are getting bigger and therefore displacing more water in the worlds oceans. With every calf born the oceans levels rise just a bit more. The longer we let the cetacean and whale populations go unchecked the greater threat they pose to humanity. If we can remove enough of them fast enough we and drastically lower sea levels this saving our beaches.

Noob
01-17-2011, 11:34
I believe that whales and dolphins are getting bigger and therefore displacing more water in the worlds oceans. With every calf born the oceans levels rise just a bit more. The longer we let the cetacean and whale populations go unchecked the greater threat they pose to humanity. If we can remove enough of them fast enough we and drastically lower sea levels this saving our beaches.

I agree, same with tuna and many other species.

bigman241
01-17-2011, 14:13
a record winter and they come up with some globel warming warning. LET THEM MELT, I WANT TO DIVE THE WHITE HOUSE, though I guess I will be moving out of the keys:smiley19::smiley19::smiley19::smiley19::smile y19:

bigman241
01-17-2011, 14:15
also seems to me the start of 2012, the crust is shifting, obama is headed toward his ship and the rest of us are sitting here doomed to drown, all in favor of loading on the rich folks big boats and diving till the wave or lava kills us....... Atless cali will fall into the ocean, can not wait to dive LA

Straegen
01-17-2011, 14:35
a record winter and they come up with some globel warming warning. LET THEM MELT, I WANT TO DIVE THE WHITE HOUSE, though I guess I will be moving out of the keys:smiley19::smiley19::smiley19::smiley19::smile y19:

Not trying to start a Global Warming debate and not going to comment on whether it is man-made or not but weather and climate are two separate things. It is theorized that localized weather will intensify as the climate warms. It may seem strange but global warming could cause more intense cold snaps in some areas.

TwistedSister209
01-17-2011, 17:18
I'm still perplexed about cow farts. I raise them and haven't heard too many expell gas. Our horses on the other hand!

SEMO Scuba
01-17-2011, 20:10

Actually it is the explosion of the Lion Fish population that is raising the sea levels.

SEMO Scuba
01-17-2011, 20:12
What happened to the ice age that was predicted by scientist in the 70's?

Straegen
01-17-2011, 20:37
What happened to the ice age that was predicted by scientist in the 70's?This was a pumped up press story run rampant in the 70s in big part due to Newsweek. In the 70s, the majority of scientists were in the "not sure about climate change" category and the consensus from the US National Academy of Sciences was we just did not know enough to have a predictive analysis but that doesn't sell magazines.

bigman241
01-17-2011, 20:42
I do agree with that, honestly I agree with some theories on global warming, I just do not see such a man mad effect. I also question the reasons many give so called "facts" on both sides of the issue, kind of hard not to say coal is not an effect when you paid by the coal companies, and it is hard not to say coal is the reason when you paid by green peace or al gore. I lean more on the climate change and that the weather naturally changes warm then cold, then warm and cold again. I do agree that the crap we pump into our air is bad for us and our plant. it is like our lungs, treat them well their the only pair you get, treat the earth well because you ant getting a new one.
Not trying to start a Global Warming debate and not going to comment on whether it is man-made or not but weather and climate are two separate things. It is theorized that localized weather will intensify as the climate warms. It may seem strange but global warming could cause more intense cold snaps in some areas.

bigman241
01-17-2011, 20:44
well the raise in factories pushed it out and gave them a new reason to *****. my guess is in the 70s they all owned a snow blower company, sled company, and a few ski resorts, now they own beach side hotels, green energy companies, and double decker jets to run the earth in pushing all us normal guys not to run the boat on saturday.
The best thing we can do is lower the price of green energy, I am up for it to reduce our need to terrorist oil.

Maybe collect cow farts to burn as methan
What happened to the ice age that was predicted by scientist in the 70's?

bigman241
01-17-2011, 20:46
12/21/12 is all I have to say, I just want to be first in line to dive the kennedy aircraft carrier on the white house, wonder if it will be up right or turn turtle
This was a pumped up press story run rampant in the 70s in big part due to Newsweek. In the 70s, the majority of scientists were in the "not sure about climate change" category and the consensus from the US National Academy of Sciences was we just did not know enough to have a predictive analysis but that doesn't sell magazines.

inventor
01-17-2011, 22:27
I've explained this before.

The sea levels are rising because Chuck Norris goes snorkeling, and the ocean is trying to get out of his way.

TJDiver
01-18-2011, 09:13
Hey inventor...I think you may be on to something. I'm betting Chuck Norris was on location somewhere in Norway, and scared the sun up early in Greenland. :smiley36:

Straegen
01-18-2011, 09:32
I do agree with that, honestly I agree with some theories on global warming, I just do not see such a man mad effect. I also question the reasons many give so called "facts" on both sides of the issue, kind of hard not to say coal is not an effect when you paid by the coal companies, and it is hard not to say coal is the reason when you paid by green peace or al gore.Problem with science in this regard is that science is very good at assembling data and using that data to eventually prove theories. The problem is they aren't good at predictive analysis while they are gathering data and the nature of science is to continually question assumptions, proofs and theories. This leads to a lot of confusion to the outside world looking in as it seems they cannot make up their minds but it is all part of their process.

There is little doubt among the major scientific bodies that our world is getting hotter now. The problem is we probably won't know the cause until after the "damage" is done or exactly what the real "damage" will be. Many people believe we should do what we can in case they are right and I fall into this camp. Cleaner air, renewable cheaper energy (eventually), cleaner water, etc are good things aside from the climate change and if the people who theorize that we indeed are speeding up global warming are right we have helped there as well. I simply do not see a significant downside to having a more pristine ecosystem.

bfmorgan
01-18-2011, 10:53
Problem with science in this regard is that science is very good at assembling data and using that data to eventually prove theories. The problem is they aren't good at predictive analysis while they are gathering data and the nature of science is to continually question assumptions, proofs and theories. This leads to a lot of confusion to the outside world looking in as it seems they cannot make up their minds but it is all part of their process.

There is little doubt among the major scientific bodies that our world is getting hotter now. The problem is we probably won't know the cause until after the "damage" is done or exactly what the real "damage" will be. Many people believe we should do what we can in case they are right and I fall into this camp. Cleaner air, renewable cheaper energy (eventually), cleaner water, etc are good things aside from the climate change and if the people who theorize that we indeed are speeding up global warming are right we have helped there as well. I simply do not see a significant downside to having a more pristine ecosystem.
I am with you....I can't predict if the changes are due to man or in spite of man. Doing the things you describe is a good, rational approach. Ever wonder when we prevent a species from becoming extinct, if we are not messing with Mother Nature, and that we may be affecting the natural evolution of the species.

divingmedic
01-18-2011, 11:30
I'm still perplexed about cow farts. I raise them and haven't heard too many expell gas. Our horses on the other hand!
Sometimes when we are running late to my daughters riding lessons I will help her groom her horse. Every time I go to pick his rear hooves, he always blast's one out, then leaves a huge mess on the cross ties.

TJDiver
01-18-2011, 11:37
Sometimes when we are running late to my daughters riding lessons I will help her groom her horse. Every time I go to pick his rear hooves, he always blast's one out, then leaves a huge mess on the cross ties.

Maybe he just figures...hey, while you're back there...:smiley36:

inventor
01-18-2011, 21:28
Wow. Just. Wow.

Seasons are a result of Earth being tilted 23.5 degrees on its spin axis coupled with the planet's 365-day orbit around the sun.

summer solstice (when the top half of our planet is facing directly toward the sun),

Strange Claim: The Sun Rose 2 Days Early in Greenland - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/strangeclaimthesunrose2daysearlyingreenland;_ylt=A rUrr.xfQGKtkzNBCJSUPe4XIr0F;_ylu=X3oDMTQ0aGxoMDJlB GFzc2V0Ay9zL2xpdmVzY2llbmNlL3N0cmFuZ2VjbGFpbXRoZXN 1bnJvc2UyZGF5c2Vhcmx5aW5ncmVlbmxhbmQEY2NvZGUDZ21wc mFuZG9tbmJyBGNwb3MDOARwb3MDOARzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J pZXMEc2xrA3N0cmFuZ2VjbGFpbQ)--

TwistedSister209
01-18-2011, 21:34

He's letting you know how he really feels about you.