PDA

View Full Version : G11, FIX housing, what next?

mudshark
01-16-2011, 17:32
I'm trying to build my camera setup piece by piece so I don't have to spend a gazillion dollars all at once--I'll spend it over time but now I have the basics to take simple shots.

I know that I need a tray and strobe next--any recommendations there?

If at some point I decide I need to go with a wide angle setup, what will I need? Do I need some type of adapter? What types of lenses wil fit? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

DevilDiver
01-16-2011, 21:44
As far as current strobes (you didn't mention a budget) for powerful, compact and travel friendly, look at the Inon S-2000 and Sea & Sea YS-01's. If you feel you need more power look into the Inon D-2000 or the S&S 110a's.

IMO- Best bet for wide angle with your housing look into the Fisheye/FIX UWL-04 conversion lens FIX UWL-04 Fisheye Conversion Lens for FIX G10/G11/G12 [fix.uwl.04.g10] - $549.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros (http://reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=9&products_id=4003)

bversteegh
02-04-2011, 12:20
I 2nd Devils recommendation on the UWL 04 fisheye. Have one for my wife's s90 - very nice lens.

For strobes - consider the Inon 240. You have a nice setup that you have invested several scuba dollars in (that will last you a long time) - the 240 is the best all around strobe on the market. I have both the Inon s2000 and 2 240s; on our last trip - my wife stole one of my 240's to replace the s2000 on her rig. The s2000 is fine for macro and fish portraits at close range 3-4 feet - not enough pop for anything further. And doesn't have enough angular coverage to support the UWL04 lens - not a good WAL.

If the 240 is too expensive for your budget - the Sea and Sea 110a's would be my second choice. I had 2 110's (the predecessor to the 110a) - and they aren't bad; but not as powerful or as good in TTL as the Inon's. I would only buy the 110 a if it is at least $150 less than the 240's - otherwise save your money until you can afford the 240. With the dollar dropping, not sure what prices are doing now. You used to get a good deal on Inon's from divervision (taiwan) - but haven't bought anything from them lately. Also check out the classified adds on wetpixel - you can sometimes get a good deal on used strobes there (I have bought used strobes there with no issues - most of the members there are serious shooters and take good care of their equipment).

HTH

Bruce

Nemrod
02-05-2011, 11:10
If you have the FIX housing for the G12 then the only wide angle lens that will work for it is the dry port version of the UWL-04 and it is a fine piece of equipment and works well, does require a minor zoom to clear the corners. You also have to be careful not to zoom the camera too far as it will jam the lens so most use the favorite settings shortcuts to preset.

You will need two strobes to cover a wide angle lens though you can get some good shots with a single strobe.

I do not understand why people jump from the S2000 to the Z240 wnd skip the D2000. The Inon D2000 actually has quite a bit more power than the S2000, more and fuller beam coverage, more shooting settings, in fact, it is identical to the Z240 except for:

1. It is red instead of gray
2. It has slightly less power and this is of no consequence
3. It does not have the hard wired sync option which is useless on 90% of today's cameras and of no advantage IMO on them.
4. It cost noticeably less money
5. It does not have a rotary switch for pre-flash or no-preflash selection and uses a magnetic insert instead, again, thsi is of no consequence in practical use.

Dual Inon D2000s, I love them:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/experiments/DSCF0004-1.jpg

N

bversteegh
02-06-2011, 19:52
A guide number of 24 vs 20 is significant if you want to truly cover a fisheye lens for wide angle scenics. I've shot thousands of shots with both Sea and sea 110's and Inon 240's (the sea and sea's are very comparable to the d2000 in terms of power and coverage); the 240 is just a more versatile strobe. You don't need the extra power on a lot of shots - but when you need it, you need it. It also allows you to shoot with a diffuser almost everytime - which I prefer.

I shoot a DSLR in an aluminum housing - so I can't fiber optic trigger. So I have to have strobes with sync cord capability. The newer DSLR housings are adding optical ports, so becoming less of an issue. So depending on your housing - you may not care whether or not the strobe has a sync cord.

I don't doubt the D-2000 is a good strobe - Inon builds good products. I can't use them with my camera - so never tried them. But can't agree that strobe power doesn't matter - depends on what type shooting you want to do. More power allows you to shoot high f/# on DSLR's (f/26 for example when you need every mm of depth of field)- also a benefit.

You can certainly take quality photos with lower power strobes - but you usually get what you pay for.

Nemrod
02-08-2011, 18:35
I don't completely agree, power is not unimportant but area of coverage is more important and the Inon D2000 covers about 100 degrees each. I don't have any problem covering my fisheye lenses. The guide numbers published for these strobes are just that, really, a guide, yes 24 is more than 20, without doing the calculation, I think it is about a stop. The compact cameras have tremendous depth of field even at f2.0 an shooting at f2.0 gives me the same at GN20 as would be gotten at GN24 and f2.8 and so on. No strorbe is very effective beyond a few feet as sunlight/ambinet light begins to dominate.

Here are the equations, assuming ISO100 or whatever figure the GN was specified at:

GN/Distance = f stop

Underwater GN = Surface GN/3

James